Keystone Pipeline: Yes Or No

Keystone Pipeline: Yes Or No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to admit this is a tough question. We do need the oil & jobs but there will be a big environmental impact.

there is zero impact and the sate dept. epa, et al could not come up with one......some fun facts;

- what is the most dependable and cleanest method for transporting oil?

Pipelines.

-what mechanism of oil transport has the fewest accidents or spills etc. per barrel, by a huge margin?

Pipelines.

Impact phony bologna;

The Ogallala aquifer bruhaha in Nebraska?

There is currently over 15 THOUSAND miles of pipelines from huge 6 footers to 8 inch branches lines cross crossing the aquifer and has been for decades.

Anyone want to go ahead and research the spills and 'disasters' caused by a broken pipelines in Nebraska?

Go ahead...I'll wait.

The impact of pulling the Oil from the sands in Canada? well, a) thats Canada's problem and they don't seem to have a problem with it, b) when they ship that oil, (when they get tired of waiting on us), using LESS SAFE and carbon consuming mechanisms ala methods ala rail and truck to the west coast for tanker portage to China.....well?

Not a thing will have changed, they are not going to stop pulling that Oil from the sands, we however will miss out on the immediate 20K jobs and the 118K ancillary jobs that will not be created here.

So the environmentalists are, flat out fucking nuts.

AND the taxes generated by all of that activity, from Refining, to the jobs, to the end user sales of that refined oil.

This has go tot be one of the top 3 most naked, politically motivated decisions I have ever seen.

138,000 jobs......:doubt:

And we'll still be depending on foreign oil. Canada is a foreign nation last i checked. People really are deluding themselves if they think this monstrosity isn't going to damage environment. Just another terrible environmental calamity waiting to happen. We don't need more of that.

Not all that familiar with the issue but from what I saw in the paper it looks like the pipeline is above ground? is that right?

Not really worried about the aquifier, but what causes me concern would be the proximity of the pipeline to tornado alley. as the route goes through Oklahoma. Can anyone tell me what they plan to do when a F4 hits the pipeline? and what the contingency plan would be?

No it's going to be below ground.

I live in pipeline alley for natural gas for the NE USA.

IN the past 30 years we have had 6 blowouts within 15 miles of my location. The most recent one was a 29" one. Was 5 miles away by aie and sounded like the space shuttle going off. That one did not catch fire. But in the past others have and a few have been killed and homes burned.

The Keystone XL Pipeline isn't natural gas.

What's the name of the gas pipeline your talking about?

I'd like to research it myself and see just how honest/dishonest you are.

Gas/Oil does not matter where iminent domain is used. That is my point.
And it is wrong to use it for a foreign owned private company on US soil.

Show me an instance where eminent domain was used in the case of pipeline right of ways.

Be warned I've been in the oil and gas business for quite some time.

BlindBoo,
Yes that's alot of oil. We supply 25% of your energy needs today but we can supply so much more. Come on, wouldn't you rather deal with a close friend and buy less from the Saudi's or that crazy Hugo Chavez?

First off it's only about 12%. Second it's being sent not for our consumption but to export.

The Keystone XL Pipeline

The pipeline would only ease America’s reliance on other foreign oil if it were a plan to import oil to the United States. Unfortunately, it is actually a scheme to allow tar sands companies and refiners like the Koch brothers to export the oil from the Gulf Coast to other countries, reducing US supply and therefore allowing the companies to charge more for oil.

The Gulf Coast, where the pipeline would end up, already exports 1.8 million barrels of gasoline and diesel a day.
The Midwest and Great Plains already have as much tar sands oil as they need – in fact, oil in the American heartland has been selling for about $15.00/barrel less than the global price because of what oil companies privately describe as a “glut” of crude in the region.
The Koch brothers, Shell, Valero, and the other tar sands players plan to export Canadian tar sands oil from Gulf Coast refineries to OPEC-dominated markets, where it will sell for a higher price, thus forcing American customers to pay more for the oil they’re already getting.
TransCanada has admitted in its permit applications that the Keystone XL will increase oil prices in the Midwest by $6.55/barrel. See also.

BlindBoo,
Yes that's alot of oil. We supply 25% of your energy needs today but we can supply so much more. Come on, wouldn't you rather deal with a close friend and buy less from the Saudi's or that crazy Hugo Chavez?

First off it's only about 12%. Second it's being sent not for our consumption but to export.

The Keystone XL Pipeline

The pipeline would only ease America’s reliance on other foreign oil if it were a plan to import oil to the United States. Unfortunately, it is actually a scheme to allow tar sands companies and refiners like the Koch brothers to export the oil from the Gulf Coast to other countries, reducing US supply and therefore allowing the companies to charge more for oil.

The Gulf Coast, where the pipeline would end up, already exports 1.8 million barrels of gasoline and diesel a day.
The Midwest and Great Plains already have as much tar sands oil as they need – in fact, oil in the American heartland has been selling for about $15.00/barrel less than the global price because of what oil companies privately describe as a “glut” of crude in the region.
The Koch brothers, Shell, Valero, and the other tar sands players plan to export Canadian tar sands oil from Gulf Coast refineries to OPEC-dominated markets, where it will sell for a higher price, thus forcing American customers to pay more for the oil they’re already getting.
TransCanada has admitted in its permit applications that the Keystone XL will increase oil prices in the Midwest by $6.55/barrel. See also.

What a bunch of shit that is!!

The Keystone XL Pipeline could substantially reduce U.S. dependency on oil from the Middle East and other regions, according to a report commissioned by the Obama administration. The report suggests the pipeline — coupled with a reduction in overall U.S. oil demand — "could essentially eliminate Middle East crude imports longer term."

BlindBoo,

The Keystone XL Pipeline

The Keystone XL Pipeline could substantially reduce U.S. dependency on oil from the Middle East and other regions, according to a report commissioned by the Obama administration. The report suggests the pipeline — coupled with a reduction in overall U.S. oil demand — "could essentially eliminate Middle East crude imports longer term."

coupled with a reduction in overall U.S. oil demand:lol: Like that's gonna happen over the next 18 years.

The Keystone XL Pipeline

coupled with a reduction in overall U.S. oil demand:lol: Like that's gonna happen over the next 18 years.

Yes coupled. Which contradicts the claim you made that the US wouldn't recieve any of Canada's oil. It made no sense theminute I read it. Do you honestly think we are going to build a pipeline across the country refine the oil then sell it all to OPEC?

And 18 years is obviously a number you just pulled our of your ass.

I've been in the oil business for over 30 years and I know for a fact once the moratoriums are lifted, ANWR is opened up along with harvesting the oil from oil shales as Canada is doing this country will have all the oil we will ever need and it will take less than five years to reap the reward.

Don't read that statement the wrong way. Oil prices in the Midwest are now suppressed by a minimum of $8.00/barrel because of the glut of oil at major terminals such as Cushing, OK. This pipeline would alleviate the huge inventory and bring U.S. midwest prices up to where they should be. In other parts of the country, this price differential, or "spread", is as high as $15/barrel.

Yes coupled. Which contradicts the claim you made that the US wouldn't recieve any of Canada's oil. It made no sense theminute I read it. Do you honestly think we are going to build a pipeline across the country refine the oil then sell it all to OPEC?

And 18 years is obviously a number you just pulled our of your ass.

I've been in the oil business for over 30 years and I know for a fact once the moratoriums are lifted, ANWR is opened up along with harvesting the oil from oil shales as Canada is doing this country will have all the oil we will ever need and it will take less than five years to reap the reward.

The link you posted has the date of 2030 which is where I got the 18 years. Furthermore I don't recall saying the US wouldn't recieve any of Canadas oil. Since we already recieve 2.6 million barrels of petroleum products from Canada more than any country and more that all of the Persian Gulf states combined, that would be dumb. However the article I posted did say that the refined products made from the pipe in Canadian sand tar would be exported to OPEC-dominated markets

If you really think that the we will reduce our oil demands anytime in the future I have some land in South Fla for sale.......

So we'll still be dependent on more foreign oil and we'll destroy more of our Environment at the same time? Gee i don't know guys,are you sure we really need this thing? I enjoy peaceful nature. Why are people in such a rush to destroy it? Is it just about the greed? Looks like it to me.

So you do support a foreign private company taking pipeline right of ways from US landowners?

Corporations have to pay private land owners for a right away across their land. they don't "take" it.

I always marvel at the ignorance of liberals about the simplest and most basic facts concerning property law and how our economy works.

I think it is going backwards, we should be looking harder at alternative energy/fuel. Even if you all are thinking it will create jobs, so will new and inovative ideas in this area. We will need to change soon enough.

This pipeline is the answer to all of our economic woes.
This pipeline will go a long way to making us energy independent.
There is absolutely no environmental threat posed by this pipeline.
The opponents to this pipeline are all just whacky environmentalists.

Lots of debate on this one. Pretty important issue.

The Keystone Pipeline System is a pipeline system to transport synthetic crude oil and diluted bitumen from the Athabasca Oil Sands in northeastern Alberta, Canada to multiple destinations in the United States, which include refineries in Illinois, Cushing oil distribution hub in Oklahoma, and proposed connections to refineries along the Gulf Coast of Texas. It consists of the operational "Keystone Pipeline" (Phase 1) and "Keystone-Cushing Extension" (Phase 2), and two proposed Keystone XL pipeline expansion segments. After the Keystone XL pipeline segments are completed, American crude oil will enter the XL pipelines at Baker, Montana and Cushing, Oklahoma.[1]

The Keystone XL has faced lawsuits from oil refineries and criticism from environmentalists and some members of the United States Congress. The U.S. Department of State in 2010 extended the deadline for federal agencies to decide if the pipeline is in the national interest.

Keystone Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FACTS!!
he Alyeska 700,000 barrels per day pipeline's worst and longest spill leaked 16,000 barrels in 21 hours or 761 barrels per hour.

Cause: man made explosion blew hole.
The largest oil spill involving the main pipeline took place on February 15, 1978, when an unknown individual blew a 1-inch (2.54-centimeter) hole in it at Steele Creek, just east of Fairbanks.[157] Approximately 16,000 barrels (2,500 m3) of oil leaked out of the hole before the pipeline was shut down.[152] After more than 21 hours, it was restarted.[158]

So the worst in history of comparable was 21 hours in 1978 BEFORE!!
A) GPS satellite monitoring capabilities down to a GNAT's ASS!
B) 30+ years of technological advancements that not only will
1) dramatically reduce spills
2) reduce number of HOURS and crude spilled!

And so.. assume 2013 worst case operational pipeline spill occurs,
Less then 3 hours response from time to shut down and 2,200 barrels!

A supertanker holds the equivalent of one day's Keystone!
Going out every day 365 days one tanker!
It spills 1/2 or 500,000 barrels..hmmm
2,200 barrels VS 500,000 barrels...HMMMM hard choice!

I think it is going backwards, we should be looking harder at alternative energy/fuel. Even if you all are thinking it will create jobs, so will new and inovative ideas in this area. We will need to change soon enough.

And they would be what? What do we have tht can replace oil/gas now or any time soon,we have to live now not in a land we would like. Work twords development of new tech,and use what we have available now.

Forum List

Back