Keystone Pipeline: Yes Or No

Keystone Pipeline: Yes Or No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Lots of debate on this one. Pretty important issue.

The Keystone Pipeline System is a pipeline system to transport synthetic crude oil and diluted bitumen from the Athabasca Oil Sands in northeastern Alberta, Canada to multiple destinations in the United States, which include refineries in Illinois, Cushing oil distribution hub in Oklahoma, and proposed connections to refineries along the Gulf Coast of Texas. It consists of the operational "Keystone Pipeline" (Phase 1) and "Keystone-Cushing Extension" (Phase 2), and two proposed Keystone XL pipeline expansion segments. After the Keystone XL pipeline segments are completed, American crude oil will enter the XL pipelines at Baker, Montana and Cushing, Oklahoma.[1]

The Keystone XL has faced lawsuits from oil refineries and criticism from environmentalists and some members of the United States Congress. The U.S. Department of State in 2010 extended the deadline for federal agencies to decide if the pipeline is in the national interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline

Last edited:
I have to admit this is a tough question. We do need the oil & jobs but there will be a big environmental impact.

I have to admit this is a tough question. We do need the oil & jobs but there will be a big environmental impact.

What environmental impact are you referring to?

The company I work for stands to make millions on this project. We have already submitted bids for portions in Oklahoma and Texas and we've been in discussions with TransCanada for several weeks now. Things were looking good until Nebraska started bitching.

The company I work for stands to make millions on this project. We have already submitted bids for portions in Oklahoma and Texas and we've been in discussions with TransCanada for several weeks now. Things were looking good until Nebraska started bitching.

There's always a big environmental impact with these things. I don't think it's wise to only look at the money angle. There are other aspects to be looked at. But i do wish you well. If it happens,i hope you score big time.

I was watching the news on this the other day.

Apparantly the current route goes over an aquifer site. The Canadians are more than willing to move the pipeline.

Will have to see how this plays out but we could sure use the jobs.

I know Hillary Clinton and others are being sued by Environmental groups for allowing Canada to already clear land for the beginning stages of the pipeline. They're pretty much suing the entire U.S. Government.

Some more lawsuits. This one is by some American oil refineries over getting out of their pipeline contracts with Canada due to massive cost overruns...

CALGARY, Alta. - Three small U.S. oil refineries are suing TransCanada to get out of their contracts to ship oil on the Keystone pipeline. They say that cost overruns on the Keystone pipeline have gone over budget by 145 percent in Canada and 92 percent in the U.S.
Canadian crude producers have already sought to be released from such contracts.
The U.S. refineries are suing TransCanada Corp. in hopes of breaking contracts to ship oil on Keystone, a new pipeline they say has been beset with cost overruns.

http://energypipelinenews.blogspot.com/2010/05/three-us-refineries-latest-to-sue-to.html

The Keystone Pipeline System is a pipeline system to transport synthetic crude oil and diluted bitumen from the Athabasca Oil Sands in northeastern Alberta, Canada to multiple destinations in the United States, which include refineries in Illinois, Cushing oil distribution hub in Oklahoma, and proposed connections to refineries along the Gulf Coast of Texas. It consists of the operational "Keystone Pipeline" (Phase 1) and "Keystone-Cushing Extension" (Phase 2), and two proposed Keystone XL pipeline expansion segments. After the Keystone XL pipeline segments are completed, American crude oil will enter the XL pipelines at Baker, Montana and Cushing, Oklahoma.[1]

The Keystone XL has faced lawsuits from oil refineries and criticism from environmentalists and some members of the United States Congress. The U.S. Department of State in 2010 extended the deadline for federal agencies to decide if the pipeline is in the national interest.

2,925,000,000 acre feet Ogallala_Aquifer
Equals 953 trillion gallons.
In last 20 years 110 million gallons oil spills from ALL pipelines.
Equal to 5.5 million gallons.
Keystone will be 700,000 barrels/day or
over 2,147 miles the average gallons flowing per mile/hour 570 gallons!

Say it takes 4 hours from time monitors show leak occurred till leak stopped:
570 gallons of oil 4 hours or 2,280 gallons leaked!

So tell me again what is the problem?

And the Ogallala has 953 trillion Gallons of water possibly tainted by 570 gallons of oil...
WHAT IS THE problem???

There's always a big environmental impact with these things. I don't think it's wise to only look at the money angle. There are other aspects to be looked at. But i do wish you well. If it happens,i hope you score big time.

What specific environmental issue are you referring to with the Keystone XL pipeline?

Hopefully the issue isn't based on "what if's", I mean if we were to live our lives afraid of the "what if's" nothing would ever be done.

I was watching the news on this the other day.

Apparantly the current route goes over an aquifer site. The Canadians are more than willing to move the pipeline.

Will have to see how this plays out but we could sure use the jobs.

That brings me back to the question I posed the other day. Name one aquifer that has been polluted by a petroleum pipeline leak.

I'll concede the fact that there have been numerous leaks and spills over the past few decades but I have found no evidence that an aquifer has ever been polluted via a pipeline leak.

What specific environmental issue are you referring to with the Keystone XL pipeline?

Hopefully the issue isn't based on "what if's", I mean if we were to live our lives afraid of the "what if's" nothing would ever be done.

This is a good point but isn't it wise to study all of the aspects?

Some more lawsuits. This one is by some American oil refineries over getting out of their pipeline contracts with Canada due to massive cost overruns...

CALGARY, Alta. - Three small U.S. oil refineries are suing TransCanada to get out of their contracts to ship oil on the Keystone pipeline. They say that cost overruns on the Keystone pipeline have gone over budget by 145 percent in Canada and 92 percent in the U.S.
Canadian crude producers have already sought to be released from such contracts.
The U.S. refineries are suing TransCanada Corp. in hopes of breaking contracts to ship oil on Keystone, a new pipeline they say has been beset with cost overruns.

Energy Pipeline News: Three U.S. refineries latest to sue to get out of Keystone contracts

Got anything more recent?

Transcanada performed a three year environmental impact study, I'm pretty sure they covered all the aspects.

Keystone Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YES!!!!! any one who opposes this is a fucking useless tree hugger.
These enviro nazis are the same creeps who flipped their lids over high gas prices in the late 2000's then ignored those high prices from two years ago when Obama was pitching his stupid clean energy bullshit..
BTW, gas is still over $3.50 per gallon in many markets. Not a word about "oil company greed"...

STUDY THIS!!!
TELL ME WHERE THE NUMBERS ARE WRONG!

2,925,000,000 acre feet Ogallala_Aquifer
Equals 953 trillion gallons.
In last 20 years 110 million gallons oil spills from ALL pipelines.
Equal to 5.5 million gallons per year!

Keystone will be 700,000 barrels/day or
over 2,147 miles the average gallons flowing per mile/hour 570 gallons!

Say it takes 4 hours from time monitors show leak occurred till leak stopped:
570 gallons of oil 4 hours or 2,280 gallons leaked!

So tell me again what is the problem?

And the Ogallala has 953 trillion Gallons of water possibly tainted by 570 gallons of oil...
WHAT IS THE problem???

Keystone XL Suit: Environmental Groups Target Hillary Clinton...

A coalition of environmental and ethics groups sued Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the U.S. State Department on Wednesday over documents relating to a contentious oil pipeline that would link Canada's oil sands to oil refineries in the southern United States.

The groups suspect that the documents, sought through a Freedom of Information Act request filed in December, contain communications between Clinton and a lobbyist representing TransCanada, the company behind the proposed pipeline, known as the Keystone XL project.

The lobbyist in question, Paul Elliott, formerly served as a deputy campaign director for Clinton's failed presidential bid in 2008. The State Department is currently considering whether to grant TransCanada a permit for the Keystone pipeline, without which the project cannot go forward.

Keystone XL Suit: Environmental Groups Target Hillary Clinton Over Oil Pipeline Documents

Looks like Hillary Clinton was heavily involved in getting this project approved. Her far Left support must be dwindling.

Forum List

Back