Kentucky Libertarians not happy with Rand Paul

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ravi, May 26, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,848
    FRANKFORT, Ky. — The Libertarian Party is considering running a candidate in Kentucky's U.S. Senate race, saying GOP nominee Rand Paul — the son of a former Libertarian presidential candidate — has betrayed the party's values.
    Party Vice Chairman Joshua Koch said Wednesday that Paul has been a black eye for Libertarians because of stands he's taken on issues, including his criticism of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The Associated Press: Libertarians may run Senate candidate in Ky.

Interesting. I thought, at least from the comments on this forum, that Libertarians believe that a business that is open to the public has a right to discriminate.

:eusa_eh:

2. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    From my thread:
    http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/117696-what-is-libertarianism.html

Also...

KY Libertarians: Rand Paul Is Not One Of Us — But We Won’t Run A Candidate Against Him | Independent Political Report

And if they ran a LP candidate that didn't believe in property rights then I'd be hard pressed to consider them a "real Libertarian."

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,848
    I guess this answers Dud's question about why Libertarians don't succeed on the national stage. Too wishy-washy and unorganized.

You can believe in property rights and still believe that the constitution disallows the type of discrimination Rand Paul supports.

IMO, he is no real libertarian. A libertarian wouldn't really believe that the constitution is meaningless.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The answer is the left in particular spends WAY too much time and effort smearing libertarians and calling them racists and whatnot ....

One thing I've learned ... when the left is afraid/fears something, they mindlessly attack it with, ignoring facts and logic, and post the same dogma over and over again, and most of the time have no idea what they believe in.

Y'all are S-O-O-O programmed by "veeger".:cuckoo:

5. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Well we won't know how the Libertarian Party would do on the national stage until the laws that are biased against all third parties are repealed, and since Republicans and Democrats make those laws we probably shouldn't hold our breath for that to happen.

Rand Paul doesn't support any discrimination, he just doesn't believe that the Constitution says that the federal government has the right to tell us who we can permit on our own property.

I would agree that he's not a libertarian, but not for the reason you gave which is completely inaccurate.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,848
    I don't think that opinion is racist. I just think it is incorrect.

I can see how some people would consider it racist because it is the very same argument used in the sixties to keep Jim Crow laws in place.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Please point to anyplace where Rand said he supports discrimination.

Those are his exact words, how do you tiwist that to say he supporst discrimination?

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,848
    He supported the notion that a business owner running a business that is open to the public has a right to discriminate.

He's incorrect. The constitution doesn't allow it.

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    The Constitution doesn't allow the the federal or state governments to make laws that discriminate against people, but private property is private property. You can exclude people based on whatever reason you want from your home, there's no reason it should be any different in a private business.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,442
    This is funny coming from the LP, considering who they ran for the presidential. :rolleyes:

"a real libertarian". :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1