Trump Rolls to Victory but Struggles With Independents

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
While a dominating share of the Republican Party’s core voters are still with him, the results signaled he risks losing enough Republicans—as well as a substantial share of independents—to create a problem for him as a general-election candidate.

The first task for any candidate is to unify the party. But 19% of Republicans who cast ballots in New Hampshire said they would be so dissatisfied with Trump as the nominee that they wouldn’t vote for him in November, according to AP VoteCast, a survey of primary voters. Similarly, 15% of Republicans who participated in Iowa’s caucuses last week said they wouldn’t support Trump in the general election.

“In a polarized country, any candidate has to win 90% or more of their party to win an election,” said Whit Ayres, a longtime Republican pollster and strategist. “You can’t be competitive if you’re not close to 90%.” In 2020, Trump lost 9% of his own party’s voters, AP VoteCast found, and still came up short in the election.

Not looking good for Trump. Sure, he won two states so far and he is predicted to win a third but as this article shows, he is losing Republicans and more importantly, independents. Oh well. Republicans had a choice but the hard-core decided to stick with Trump.

While a dominating share of the Republican Party’s core voters are still with him, the results signaled he risks losing enough Republicans—as well as a substantial share of independents—to create a problem for him as a general-election candidate.

The first task for any candidate is to unify the party. But 19% of Republicans who cast ballots in New Hampshire said they would be so dissatisfied with Trump as the nominee that they wouldn’t vote for him in November, according to AP VoteCast, a survey of primary voters. Similarly, 15% of Republicans who participated in Iowa’s caucuses last week said they wouldn’t support Trump in the general election.

“In a polarized country, any candidate has to win 90% or more of their party to win an election,” said Whit Ayres, a longtime Republican pollster and strategist. “You can’t be competitive if you’re not close to 90%.” In 2020, Trump lost 9% of his own party’s voters, AP VoteCast found, and still came up short in the election.

Not looking good for Trump. Sure, he won two states so far and he is predicted to win a third but as this article shows, he is losing Republicans and more importantly, independents. Oh well. Republicans had a choice but they the hard-core decided to stick with Trump.
The article is bullshit.

It
appears that Haley got about 10% of her 33% votes from crossover Democrats: ‘We Only Care About Damaging Donald Trump’

So, without the crossover votes, the vote would have been 65% to 33%.

Not looking good for Trump. Sure, he won two states so far and he is predicted to win a third but as this article shows, he is losing Republicans and more importantly, independents. Oh well. Republicans had a choice but the hard-core decided to stick with Trump.
Those weren't independents and NH purposely changed this rule this year for this purpose. To create the narrative that Trump won't win because of Independents.

These were Dem voters. They could on voting day declare who they were affiliated with. It's a sham.

Let the broader poll of TRUE Independents decide this. How could there be massive support of Biden if his approval is the worst in history?

Ironically it is Biden that has to make up ground on Trump, even as he is the incumbent president. Trump is going to tout his successes in his first term, especially those policies that appeal to Dems and Independents, and he will use attack ads with Biden saying "there will be a rush to the border" along with video images of just that occurring.

Bet on the last paragraph being a major aspect of his campaign strategy. Biden had a gift. Did he use it wisely? He gave in to accept Harris as V.P even as she was polling 4%, called him a racist and was immensely unpopular in the U.S and abroad.

When anyone can cross over and claim to be an "independent", like you can in an open primary, such "analysis" is worthless.

And, like clockwork, the talking heads on the idiot box immediately started popping off about, oh noes, Trump needs Hillary, I mean Haley, if he wants the ''Independent'' vote.

And people eat that fodder up like candy.

They're gonna try their best to stick the country with her for 8-12 years straight.

I'll be staying home, oddball. I'm not participating in that coercion.

They're all on the same team, if you ask me.

So how many democrats won't vote for Joe Biden?

You shouldn't just look at one candidate. Fully 1/3 of democrats won't vote for Joe Biden. 33% > 19% Trump wins.

And, like clockwork, the talking heads on the idiot box immediately started popping off about, oh noes, Trump needs Hillary, I mean Haley, if he wants the ''Independent'' vote.

They're gonna try their best to stick the country with her for 8-12 years straight.

Get ready for a year of laughable headlines like this, that would make Orwell blush....

1706110205704.png

The article is bullshit.

It
appears that Haley got about 10% of her 33% votes from crossover Democrats: ‘We Only Care About Damaging Donald Trump’

So, without the crossover votes, the vote would have been 65% to 33%.
I think the numbers would have been worse if it weren't for the Democrats pretending to be Republicans. 10% is exorbitantly generous.

Especially considering the amount of money she spent getting what margin she did get.

Trump spent next to nothing and walked away with the "W".

The next primary/caucus has Trump easily up by a larger margin than Haley lost this one by. After this it's not looking good Especially when she is not forecasted to even win her home state.

So how many democrats won't vote for Joe Biden?

You shouldn't just look at one candidate. Fully 1/3 of democrats won't vote for Joe Biden. 33% > 19% Trump wins.

One of the true indicators of who will win is enthusiasm for a candidate because it means that voters will actually bother to vote. Otherwise they stay home.

If Biden voters don't bother to get out to actually vote (which is what the subject of this thread is about) Then again 10% of Republicans won't matter when 30% of Democrats don't bother to show up.

The headline we will probably never see...

"Despite Years of Leftist Slanders and Unprecedented, Vicious 'Lawfare' Trump Remains the Candidate of Choice for at Least Half of America"

Only Trump "struggles with independents"? That's why they call themselves "independents".

You have to understand something. Democrats wouldn't know an independent if one socked them in the mouth. They call themselves liberals and libertarian

People like you only contribute to the destruction of the country.

Forum List

Back