Kentucky Derby

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
Does anyone follow horse racing on the sports board? I do consider it a sport. The Kentucky Derby has four horses so far getting scratched including the top favorite. All for different reasons. It should make for an interesting race but I wonder is the trainers and owners are having the horses pushed too hard. I am not sure if there will be another Secretariat. Kentucky Derby favorite scratched from race due to bruised right foot

Last edited:
Does anyone follow horse racing on the sports board? I do consider it a sport. The Kentucky Derby has four horses so far getting scratched including the top favorite. All for different reasons. It should make for an interesting race but I wonder is the trainers and owners are having the horses pushed too hard. I am not sure if there will be another Secretariat. Kentucky Derby favorite scratched from race due to bruised right foot
Horse racing is rigged....along with some other sports---perhaps most sports to one degree or another ........too much money involved.....too easy to do. but the masses need to be entertained....so no one cares that much about it.

Last edited:
I have over the years fallen in love with the history of horse racing but I don't really follow the sport of horse racing. I read Seabiscuit and Secretariat back to back and that sparked an interest in learning who the triple crown winners were and their lineages, but when it comes to the actual gambling aspects of the sport I'm still very ignorant. Still though, I watch the Derby every year and root for a Triple Crown winner every season.

I've been a fan in the past, of horse racing in general and The Kentucky Derby in particular, but in recent years the increase of horse deaths at tracks has concerned me to the point of rethinking the whole sport.

I have over the years fallen in love with the history of horse racing but I don't really follow the sport of horse racing. I read Seabiscuit and Secretariat back to back and that sparked an interest in learning who the triple crown winners were and their lineages, but when it comes to the actual gambling aspects of the sport I'm still very ignorant. Still though, I watch the Derby every year and root for a Triple Crown winner every season.
Sports is for entertainment purposes only.

Is this nag running?

If she is, I'll put my bet on her that she'll be hiding in the stable, on her knees.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've been a fan in the past, of horse racing in general and The Kentucky Derby in particular, but in recent years the increase of horse deaths at tracks has concerned me to the point of rethinking the whole sport.
In all the years and all the time I spent at the track, I saw one horse go down. I still remember his name and where he fell. Now they are breaking their legs every day. The breeders are to blame...

In all the years and all the time I spent at the track, I saw one horse go down. I still remember his name and where he fell. Now they are breaking their legs every day. The breeders are to blame...

I put some of the blame on the trainers, but yeah, much like dog breeders have been known to ruin a breed, horse breeders are doing the same.

There are a lot of horse races in many tracks. Much of it less expensive pedigree. A general rule is to bet on who could win over who will win from odds. The Kentucky Derby is one of the jewels of thoroughbred racing. The races leading up to it and during the week at a storied racetrack need to be on the up and up. And this does not look good.

Stake races are on the up and up. The horses are entered to win and set records on and off the track. Winning studs bring in the money for the farms for years after the horses racing days are over, so they really want the reputation they get from the big races. G-races aren't so much about money as they are prestige.
It is the smaller tracks on the circuit that fix races, and not all that often. Jockeys fix races, trainers fix races, and so do owners. Especially claimers because of the desire to get rid of a horse for any number of reasons. They usually drop them in class to insure the win in most cases though.

Forum List

Back