Kent State revisited.

Only those that accept the weight have it around their neck, others reject it.

Let's go swimming...

Much more comfortable to forget sins, yes.
Those sinned against may not forget, though.

It's clear why these guys were in the 'guard in '70. As everyone back then knew, they were the 'posers', too chicken to resist and too chicken for 'Nam. Cowards firing on an unarmed assembly.

That is one way to look at it but National Guard Units can be called up for active duty any time. I am from Ohio and was in Navy boot camp in 70 during the Kent State tragedy and then sent to Nam. I flew back to the States from Nam and in Lost Angeles International Airport was spit on, cursed at and called baby killer by the Hippies. I was in dress uniform heading home on leave and did not react although many say they would have. I experienced a boat load of trouble in Nam and did not want more trouble in the States.
Interesting that you personally were spit on.....we never hear first hand reports of such....always hearsay. When did you come home? What day, month and year? What airline and terminal? Was it one person who spit on you or more than one? Male or female? Description?

I don't doubt you....I'm just excited to hear the FIRST first person experience of this happening.

Emotions were running high at that time. People are capable of stupid acts when they feel cheated, exploited, lied to. We've heard stories about incidents such as this, but, like 'bodecea', no personal experience of seeing it happen or knowing someone who did it or had it done to them.
Personally, veterans of that horrible mistake have always been casualties.

Forum List

Back