Kayak or stand up paddleboard

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I didn't really know where to put this.

I have been kayaking for a long time. Before the advent of these stand up paddle boards and I'm trying to figure out the draw of these things.

From all metrics I have to think that kayaking is far better.

I can drink a beer while I'm kayaking quite easily.

Can't really do that on a stand up paddle board

need I say more?

I didn't really know where to put this.

I have been kayaking for a long time. Before the advent of these stand up paddle boards and I'm trying to figure out the draw of these things.

From all metrics I have to think that kayaking is far better.

I can drink a beer while I'm kayaking quite easily.

Can't really do that on a stand up paddle board

need I say more?
I agree

I have been Kayaking for 25 years and can’t see any advantage of paddle boarding

With a Kayak you get better leverage, two paddles, more balanced position, you can rest if you are tired or want to look around, you can fish, store gear

I can Kayak for hours and go over a dozen miles. Cant do that with a Paddle Board

I also don’t see many advantages of a canoe over a Kayak

Last edited:
One area Paddle Boards do kick ass is in Surfing

Last summer at the beach, I was watching a group of surfers just outside the sandbar. In the middle was one guy on a Paddle Board.

He would use his paddle to gain speed as a wave came and could go much faster than surfers using their hands. Once in the wave, he was already standing up. He would then use the paddle as a rudder while in the wave

I see a lot of people put their dogs with them on the stand up paddleboards. Tried one once, but prefer a kayak over the paddle board.
Even got our dog to join me on that.

20230708_114225.jpg

I agree

I have been Kayaking for 25 years and can’t see any advantage of paddle boarding

With a Kayak you get better leverage, two paddles, more balanced position, you can rest if you are tired or want to look around, you can fish, store gear

I can Kayak for hours and go over a dozen miles. Cant do that with a Paddle Board

I also don’t see many advantages of a canoe over a Kayak
The only reason I have a canoe is to take the dogs with me. There's a sate park nearby with a large pond that has a few Islands. We love to pack a cooler chairs and a rollup table and our dogs and hang out on an island. We'll spend the day sipping wine while the dogs run and swim themselves into a stupor.

Forum List

Back