Karma's a Bitch

By MARK MAZZETTI, CHARLIE SAVAGE and SCOTT SHANE
Published: March 9, 2013

A group of men who had just finished breakfast scrambled to get to their trucks. One was Anwar al-Awlaki, the firebrand preacher, born in New Mexico, who had evolved from a peddler of Internet hatred to a senior operative in Al Qaeda’s branch in Yemen. Another was Samir Khan, another American citizen who had moved to Yemen from North Carolina and was the creative force behind Inspire, the militant group’s English-language Internet magazine.

Two of the Predator drones pointed lasers on the trucks to pinpoint the targets, while the larger Reapers took aim. The Reaper pilots, operating their planes from thousands of miles away, readied for the missile shots, and fired.

It was the culmination of years of painstaking intelligence work, intense deliberation by lawyers working for President Obama and turf fights between the Pentagon and the C.I.A., whose parallel drone wars converged on the killing grounds of Yemen. For what was apparently the first time since the Civil War, the United States government had carried out the deliberate killing of an American citizen as a wartime enemy and without a trial.

Eighteen months later, despite the Obama administration’s effort to keep it cloaked in secrecy, the decision to hunt and kill Mr. Awlaki has become the subject of new public scrutiny and debate, touched off by the nomination of John O. Brennan, Mr. Obama’s counterterrorism adviser, to be head of the C.I.A.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/w...-americas-cross-hairs.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

A Link from your link. :)

The day we start electing people who do not hold Law degrees is a day we are all going to be much better off.

Yes, but the point is, their legal opinion is being based upon who they like in the White House.

The point is if some American wants to be a member of al Qaeda and is in the US or a foreign country, I don't care who takes them out, if they can't be captured. Normally, you would think if they can find someone is the US, they can get to them and won't have to use things like drones, but if there was some unusual circumstances where the choice was to kill them or lose them, I'd say take the shot, whether it was Bush or Obama. No one should be allowed to hide behind American citizenship and be a member of al Qaeda.

Yes, but the point is, their legal opinion is being based upon who they like in the White House.

The point is if some American wants to be a member of al Qaeda and is in the US or a foreign country, I don't care who takes them out, if they can't be captured. Normally, you would think if they can find someone is the US, they can get to them and won't have to use things like drones, but if there was some unusual circumstances where the choice was to kill them or lose them, I'd say take the shot, whether it was Bush or Obama. No one should be allowed to hide behind American citizenship and be a member of al Qaeda.

As much as I dislike Al Queda, I dislike more the willingness of some people to disregard the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

As much as I dislike Al Queda, I dislike more the willingness of some people to disregard the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Where was your kind during the Civil War?

Show me in the Constitution the enumerated power to violently prevent a State, whose citizens chose through their Republican form of governmemnt, from withdrawing from the Union. As far as that goes, show me where it exist today.

Show me in the Constitution the enumerated power to violently prevent a State, whose citizens chose through their Republican form of governmemnt, from withdrawing from the Union. As far as that goes, show me where it exist today.

Show me where it talks about walking on the moon too!

Try seceding again and we'll show you a firing squad!

My kind?

Mostly south of the Mason-Dixon line...

Ahhh, the authoritarian fascist outs himself....

Surprise, surprise, surprise!!

Once again you prove yourself to be clueless. Good job baby boy.

I know the law says you can't secede from the union and I'm not taking prisoners of people who try it.

I know the law says you can't secede from the union and I'm not taking prisoners of people who try it.

I asked about Constitutional authority, I know it's hard for you, but try to stay on point.

"I know the law says you can't secede from the union and I'm not taking prisoners of people who try it."

So you can kill anyone who says their state should secede. Welcome to the Age of Obama.

Forum List

Back