Kansas Shoppers Step Over Dying Woman

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ninja, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    http://news.aol.com/story/_a/kansas...n/20070704052209990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

::

Kansas Shoppers Step Over Dying Woman
    By ROXANA HEGEMAN,

AP
    Filed Under: Crime News, Nation
    WICHITA, Kan. (July 4) - As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

The June 23 situation, captured on the store's surveillance video, got scant news coverage until a columnist for The Wichita Eagle disclosed the existence of the video and its contents Tuesday.

Police have refused to release the video, saying it is part of their investigation.

"It was tragic to watch," police spokesman Gordon Bassham said Tuesday. "The fact that people were more interested in taking a picture with a cell phone and shopping for snacks rather than helping this innocent young woman is, frankly, revolting."

The woman was stabbed during an altercation that was not part of a robbery, Bassham said. It took about two minutes for someone to call 911, he said.

Calloway, 27, died later at a hospital.

Two suspects have been arrested. A 19-year-old woman was charged with first-degree murder. Another suspect who turned himself in had not been charged as of Tuesday, the Sedgwick County prosecutor's office said.

The district attorney's office will have to decide whether any of the shoppers could be charged, Bassham said.

It was uncertain what law, if any, would be applicable. A state statute for failure to render aid refers only to victims of a car accident.

Eagle columnist Mark McCormick told The Associated Press he learned about the video when he called Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams to inquire about a phone call he had received from a reader complaining about a Police Department policy that requires emergency medical personnel to wait until police secure a crime scene before rendering aid. McCormick said Williams then unloaded on him about the shoppers in the stabbing case.

"This is just appalling," Williams told the newspaper. "I could continue shopping and not render aid and then take time out to take a picture? That's crazy. What happened to our respect for life?"

::

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Wow.

3. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +90
    This isn't shocking at all. What can you expect from people in a society such as ours. When you have a twisted form of government such as ours there will be people who refuse to help others. I am sure many people were thinking, "if I help this woman will she vote in the next election" and "will her vote affect my family?" If she was a conservative I would not have helped her. :clap2: It would mean one less bitch who would violate my rights and the rights of my loved ones. On the other hand, if she was a liberal I would have reached out to my sister in Christ and try to save her life and if I had to choose between helping a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ or a conservative I would choose to help the liberal. :bowdown:

4. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    It's a shame your mother couldn't afford that coat hanger.

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Man, you suck.

People like YOU are what's wrong with our society...

6. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +90

What's wrong with our society is that there is no liberty, or freedom and that we do not live in a democratic-republic. It is because of this that people will choose not to help their enemies when faced with a decision between self-preservation and helping those who will go on to vote for their enemies. If we had a society where self-government and representative government actually existed instead of a form of government modeled after the British one we had to rebel against than people would be far more likely to help people because they would have that feeling of community that is essential to a democratic-republic but since we are a consolidated empire the only thing left for us to do is to make sure that our enemies lose the war on election day.

7. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It's a shame that you were not run over by a school bus when you were a kid.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I'm pretty sure that thought didn't go through the head of a single person who walked over her.

What I am sure is some of those people thought "s**t! I'm gonna be here all day if I do something to help".... and then ran their butts out of the door.

I'm also fairly certain that the other predominant thought was "I'm not getting involved".... nothing new about that... but wait, Phil Ochs said it much better than I could...

http://www.ocap.ca/songs/smalcirc.html

9. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    I'm caling for a ban on knives. Clearly this is the fault of the weapon. No knives, no murder. We need knife control and we need it right now!

You know, as often as I hear about this kind of thing, it never ceases to amaze and sadden me. ANd my wife wonders why I don't like most people, present company excluded.

10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Of course we live in a representative democracy. We have elections every 2 years. Sometimes Democrats win and sometimes Republicans win. People do not first ask for the name of one’s political party before helping that person. Even when the economy is tight, people contribute to charities and help individuals. I volunteered at Caritas. I did not ask each person that came in for his or her party affiliation. I gave a chair to Goodwill. I did not ask for the party affiliation of employees at Goodwill.

You must be trying to be the liberal equivalent of RSR. Similar to his, your rhetoric is as easily refuted.