Justices signal possible trouble for health insurance mandate

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
Justices signal possible trouble ahead for health insurance mandate - latimes.com

The Supreme Court's conservative justices Tuesday laid into the requirement in the Obama administration's healthcare law that Americans have health insurance, as the court began a much-anticipated second day of arguments on the controversial legislation.

Even before the administration's top lawyer could get three minutes into his defense of the mandate, some justices accused the government of pushing for excessive authority to require Americans to buy anything.

"Are there any limits," asked Justice Anthony Kennedy, one of three conservative justices whose votes are seen as crucial to the fate of the unprecedented insurance mandate.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. suggested that the government might require Americans to buy cellphones to be ready for emergencies. And Justice Antonin Scalia asked if the government might require Americans to buy broccoli or automobiles.

"That changes the relationship of the individual to the federal government," Kennedy said.

Kennedy is the key here. I know many liberals and the MSM have been hoping on a wing and a prayer that Scalia or Roberts will support the mandate, but I think that's a real long shot and some very wishful thinking.

Kennedy will decide this. I haven't heard the audio from today (obviously as it hasn't been released yet) but the press reports indicate he peppered Verrilli pretty hard today. That's a good sign.

Forum List

Back