Just wonderin'

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Joz, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    The Israelites transported the Ark of the Covenant from place to place and God said NOT to touch the Ark. Remember when it went to fall off the cart and the one man reached out to catch it and he was struck dead?
    As a child it always seemed rather cruel to me. I think it's quite natural to instinctively want to protect something that you find sacred or precious.
    I also understand that God means what He says.
    There is such a thing as a 'death-bed' confession, such as the thief on the cross, but this shows that we never know when death will befall us so it'd be wise to be ready at all times.

But what about a screw-up you don't have time to repent of, such as this man?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Maybe he got his reward in heaven?

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Joz... God knows the hearts of all people. He had to be completely just, and carry out the prescribed punishment for an action, but if a screw-up was an accident, God will not condemn someone to Hell. He will look at a person's heart, and determine if that heart was yearning for God, or given up to selfishness.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty certain that I will die with unrepented sin. I sin ALL THE TIME. It's disgusting, really. It's such a struggle. I am NOT excusing my sin, thinking that since I believe, I can do whatever I want. I have a lot of conversations with God that go like, "I know I shouldn't, but it's just ONE time." Or, "It isn't as bad as ______ . I'm really getting better, right?" And then, once I've done it, I realize that God isn't screwing around, and it was wrong. And I have sin in so MANY areas of my life, that I would be completely overwhelmed if I tried to fix it all right now.

But I trust God, not that I am good enough to get to Heaven, but that He is merciful enough to accept me, because I really do want my life to be more about Him than about me. And I just keep trying.

This is my POV.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    mom4 just NAILED it. Perfection...

5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379

Divine justice...absolute, inflexible, unchanging, eternal, an oxymoron.

Regardless of any claim of divine attribution, "God's law" is the product of human perception and cognition and is thus subject to the same limitations of said faculties.

6. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    This has nothing to do with the post it is refering to.

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. You are also free to doubt the existence of my great-aunt Eleanor. But I know she exists. I have talked with her.

8. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    If we were talking about whether a woman should cut her hair or whether jewelry is ok, I'd give you this. But "God's Law" is very explicit. There's not much leeway to interpretation.
    But you are correct, we limit God, because that's all our finite minds can do. I mean, He made the universe! I can't get my spaghetti & garlic bread done at the same time.

9. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    And this is exactly why we aren't to judge others. Like when we were talking in another thread about kindness, honesty, & selfishness. There are many who give much, but not from their heart. Sometimes we can see that, but not always.
    Salvation is a gift given to those who will accept it & live their lives for Christ. But as you said, being sinful naturally, it's a rough row to hoe.

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,154
    Justice is unflexible. If you don't that you don't know justice.

But then that was the entire purpose of the Atonement. So that the demands of justice could be satisfied and mercy could be extended to those who repent.

I wanted to make one comment on the original post as well.

Some people might find this rather harsh. However, I don't think God struck the man dead to punish Him. I think that God knew the consequences of what would happen if someone touched it at the wrong time. Thus His commandments were to protect Him from the natural consequences the actions.

For example, a loving parent will warn their children not to touch the hot stove or they will be burnt. If the children touch the hot stove, even with pure intentions, they will be burnt. Not because the parent was punishing them for breaking their rule. But because they would get hurt regardless.

The commandments of God are like that. The Lord doesnt give us commandments to punish us when we break them. He gives us commandments because He knows the natural consequences of what will happen if we don't follow them.

Ill provide another example. The commandment to refrain from sexual activity outside marriage. The Lord gives us commandments concerning such activity because it has a powerful effect. It's power influences our emotions, actions, and the lives of generations of people to come. Not to mention the natural consequences outside the parameters the Lord has commanded us lead to disease, unwanted pregnancy, abortion, life time burdens, heart break, unnutured children, and lonliness to name a few. The Lord is giving us rules to show us how to be safe and happy. To guide our lives to become something greater than we currently are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3