Just in from Merriam-Webster -- Wiretap means what it always has meant.

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Donald Trump is POTUS, but his powers as such do not extend to the English lexicon unless he can get Congress to pass laws that officially define the words of the English language as used in the U.S. Seeing as he and Congress can't even overturn O-care -- something they've been on about for seven years -- maybe sticking to something simpler like compiling a list of definitions is what they should do. You know....baby steps....

• intransitive verb : to tap a telephone or telegraph wire in order to get information
  • transitive verb : to tap the telephone of
Under the law, it's no different: Wiretapping means connecting a concealed listening or recording device connected to a communications circuit.
That's all it means. I doesn't mean surveillance in general or any other type of surveillance.
  • It doesn't mean video surveillance.
  • It doesn't mean placing a bug somewhere.
  • It doesn't mean listening using an ear-trumpet or something similar.
  • I doesn't mean using lasers, radar or sonar to pick up aural communication.
  • It doesn't mean training a parrot, mynah bird or other creature to listen and then mimic everything it hears.
With that out of the way, skip to 2:15 in the following video.

Tapper: Just to be clear....There's still no evidence that President Trump himself was wiretapped?
Nunes: That's correct. [repeats that statement a second time]

Just in from lawyers.com

The "Wiretap Act" (the "Act") is a federal law that is aimed at protecting your privacy in your communications with other persons. Typically, when you think of a "wiretap," the first thing that comes to mind is someone listening to your telephone calls. But, the Act protects more than that.

Under the Act, it is illegal to:

• Intentionally, or purposefully,
  • Intercept, disclose, or use the contents of
    1. Any wire, oral, or electronic communication
    2. Through the use of a "device"
The Act provides criminal and civil penalties for violations, and it has various exceptions to when interceptions and disclosures are not illegal.

Although the Act defines most of these terms, federal cases that interpret the Act play a large role in understanding their meaning and how they apply to any particular case or situation. In addition, most states have laws similar to or based on the Act.

Yeah! And some people use the word xerox to refer to a copy of something! There ought to be a law controlling use of words! We need a ban on imperfect word choice! Quick! Write up some signs!

CNN...LMFAO....DNC news and apparently some people don't know it.

Donald Trump is POTUS, but his powers as such do not extend to the English lexicon unless he can get Congress to pass laws that officially define the words of the English language as used in the U.S. Seeing as he and Congress can't even overturn O-care -- something they've been on about for seven years -- maybe sticking to something simpler like compiling a list of definitions is what they should do. You know....baby steps....

• intransitive verb : to tap a telephone or telegraph wire in order to get information
Under the law, it's no different: Wiretapping means connecting a concealed listening or recording device connected to a communications circuit.
That's all it means. I doesn't mean surveillance in general or any other type of surveillance.
  • It doesn't mean training a parrot, mynah bird or other creature to listen and then mimic everything it hears.

Tapper: Just to be clear....There's still no evidence that President Trump himself was wiretapped?

It is also employed as a catch-all term for espionage in much the same way as "Communism" is widely used to cover all things Marxist and Democrat.

If you people were as literal with definitions concerning the Constitution as you are in trying to salvage an argument , there would be no political conflict in this country.

It is also employed as a catch-all term for espionage in much the same way as "Communism" is widely used to cover all things Marxist and Democrat.

If you people were as literal with definitions concerning the Constitution as you are in trying to salvage an argument , there would be no political conflict in this country.

ROTFL!!!

There's a reason why words have explicit denotations and groups of them -- sentences, paragraphs, books, articles, papers, etc. -- do not.

Did you read post #2? Showing the wiretap act includes any wire, oral, or electronic communication.

ROTFL!!!

There's a reason why words have explicit denotations and groups of them -- sentences, paragraphs, books, articles, papers, etc. -- do not.

Yeah! And some people use the word xerox to refer to a copy of something! There ought to be a law controlling use of words! We need a ban on imperfect word choice! Quick! Write up some signs!

We don't need a law to that effect. We merely need a President who has full command of English, or at least more so than does a seventh-grader.

Alternatively, we need a POTUS who merely says, "I misspoke. I meant to say 'such and such.'" Even a POTUS can make a mistake, but like everyone else of integrity, he has to own it, not try to equivocate and exculpate himself from it.

Last edited:

Attention to all dumbasses: in this day and age the term "wiretap" refers to all forms of electronic surveillance, despite the desperation of douche bag snowflakes to insist otherwise.

Only the dumbest Americans are fooled by these semantic games

Sent from my SM-G930U using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

ROTFL!!!

Words often have multiple definitions, dumbass, and dictionaries often have not caught up with common usage.

Sent from my SM-G930U using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

I know I was able to understand what he meant when he tweeted it. I know nobody went and unscrewed his phone and put a little device in it. We all know you don't have to do that anymore....except, obviously Democratic Partisans who long ago turned away from reason and common sense...even facts.

If someone is listening to your phone calls, you have effectively been wiretaped. He is 70 years old. Wiretap is part of the lexicon, even if outdated to the new generation.
_____

He also said Obama did it. We are never going to be able to prove that...but if it turns out to be any one of his lackeys...like either of his Attorney Generals, Ben Rhodes, Valerie Jarrett, Susan Rice, etc, etc....then, as far as I am concerned, Trump will have been proven right on that one too.

_____

He used quotation marks...they are magical devices that allow you define the word within them any way you wish.
Sean Spicer has already "explained" that.

We don't need a law to that effect. We merely need a President who has full command of English, or at least more so than does a seventh-grader.

Alternatively, we need a POTUS who merely says, "I misspoke. I meant to say 'such and such.'" Even a POTUS can make a mistake, but like everyone else of integrity, he has to own it, not try to equivocate and exculpate himself from it.
You were the one who suggested passing a law. You really ought to lighten up. Your speech snob routine is a big yawn.

You can't possibly be serious / this stupid?

You moron, the issue here is not the exact choice of the word in an obviously informal TWITTER MESSAGE of all things.

These people are so painfully idiotic, how the hell do they manage to crawl out of their bed?

Meanwhile the leftists turn almost everything to mean the polar opposite and this guy is silent. War is peace, ignorance is strength and freedom is slavery.

You were the one who suggested passing a law. You really ought to lighten up. Your speech snob routine is a big yawn.
"If I were myself a constituent of the community of Mississippi at this moment, what I would do is vote to lift the standards of the vote to disqualify 65% of the white people who are presently voting."
-- William F. Buckley, Jr., Cambridge debate against James Baldwin, 1965

New Topics

Forum List

Back