Just curious... are you willing to meet the challenge?

'Just curious... are you willing to meet the challenge?'

Are people even aware that these field jobs are done by LEGAL immigrants??? They are brought here by the Agriculture Department. Many are seasonal workers who have been doing these jobs since forever! What challenge???? Are people even aware that way back when it WAS americans who picked the veggies, fruits, cotton??? But as americans became more educated, the field work was left to those who did not go on to better themselves and to the poor, uneducated from south of the border....has anybody heard of the H2A Nonimmigrant visa?

If that were the case, then we would not be having the discussion we are having in regards to illegal immigration. We would not be discussing thousands of undocumented aliens streaming across the borders of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you Angel, there are illegal aliens working in our fields and we encourage it.

Immie

Yes, we do have many illegals working the fields and have for a long time....thus the reason why Cesar Chavez faught so hard against illegals coming in here and wanted them stopped at the border as he knew that it would either bring the wages down for the LEGALS or kick them out a their jobs completely - but - there are those who seem to want people to think that it's a job done ONLY by illegals and that is just NOT the case. I would go as far as to say that those illegals who work in the fields is the LEAST of our problems cause those jobs americans truly don't want - but many americans have always worked construction and many have worked in the food industry and others as a means to get through college and THOSE jobs americans do want....mho

I understand you better now.

I would agree. Illegals are not the only workers in the fields or the construction sites nor any other place where they are employed. They make up a portion of those workers. I do not know the percentage either in total or by industry, but they do not make up the full set of workers in the field.

Immie

Think about it and be honest with yourself.

If you are or were (Lord forbid) unemployed, are you willing to meet the challenge?

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs - Yahoo! News

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.

All applicants need to do is fill out an online form under the banner "I want to be a farm worker" at TAKEOURJOBS.ORG, and experienced field hands will train them and connect them to farms.

I am unemployed and I am NOT willing to meet the challenge. My excuse? I have a bad back and there is no way I could survive a day hunched over tomato plants picking tomatoes all day long in the heat, let alone an entire season. That is not even an excuse, it is the truth.

But then I am not one who bitches all day long about illegals taking my jobs either.

I believe that illegals come here illegally because we maintain ridiculously low immigration numbers, we want to pay ridiculously low wages for manual labor, illegals are willing to accept those ridiculously low wages and we can get away with hiring them under the table to provide that labor for us.

No, I am not willing to meet that challenge.

Are you?

Immie

At my age I would not, but 30 years ago I used to be a roofer, that is a heck of a lot harder and hotter work than picking fruit or veggies.

My mind is willing, but my body sure isn't.

There is no shame in doing hard manual labor.
Indeed. Before I joined the service, I was a construction laborer.

If it was the only work available, and I had to feed my family, yes, I would do farm labor.

A related question: Why aren't we making able-bodied welfare recipients work for their handouts?

Most of them are black--It wouldn't be fair.

Most are women with children or children themselves.
Baptists mostly ;)

If it was the only work available, and I had to feed my family, yes, I would do farm labor.

A related question: Why aren't we making able-bodied welfare recipients work for their handouts?

Most of them are black--It wouldn't be fair.

Most are women with children or children themselves.
Baptists mostly ;)

women and children can be black (and Baptists)

Why so obsessed with race, dillo?

Not to mention that your statement is false.

cry us a river ravi. you demonRats have been screaming "Racist" since the inauguration. why the hell should we be unobsessed now? doyathink?

Here's a thought.. plant your own damn tomatos, pick em eat em and can em.. See? how easy that is..

When I was a kid (10 or 11), we were homeless and picked peaches in California. I didn't know we were homeless...thought we just camped out all the time.

I would do it again if I had to....and not whine about it.

No, I am not. I'm in no better shape than you are, Immie. But if farm labor was paid at the minimum wage, there are Americans who would do the work.

There just are not many willing to pay the higher cost of food that would result. Colbert is right about one thing: Americans are hypocritical on illegal immigration. I consider my own position fair as best I can keep it because I am more than willing to give up the benefits of maintaining a virtual shadow slave class in this country in exchange for ending the illegal immigration problem....but most won't admit there are benefits and fewer still are willing to countenance losing them.

Farm work is exempted from minimum wage laws, but I know plenty of field workers who bring home more in a day than you think. If you are in shape and willing to work your ass off you can support a family as a migrant worker. That ain't me right now, I am too old and soft, but I have done it before, so I know it is possible.

Because that would be evil, we would be exploiting them.

If you are or were (Lord forbid) unemployed, are you willing to meet the challenge?

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.

All applicants need to do is fill out an online form under the banner "I want to be a farm worker" at TAKEOURJOBS.ORG, and experienced field hands will train them and connect them to farms.

I am unemployed and I am NOT willing to meet the challenge. My excuse? I have a bad back and there is no way I could survive a day hunched over tomato plants picking tomatoes all day long in the heat, let alone an entire season. That is not even an excuse, it is the truth.

But then I am not one who bitches all day long about illegals taking my jobs either.

I believe that illegals come here illegally because we maintain ridiculously low immigration numbers, we want to pay ridiculously low wages for manual labor, illegals are willing to accept those ridiculously low wages and we can get away with hiring them under the table to provide that labor for us.

Are you?

Immie

but would you take the challenge IF you were not collecting unemployment? IF you had no money coming in?

you could send one of your children who doesn't have a bad back to pick the tomatoes...no?

Because that would be evil, we would be exploiting them.

Umm...no. It would be them earning what they get.

cry us a river ravi. you demonRats have been screaming "Racist" since the inauguration. why the hell should we be unobsessed now? doyathink?

This is usually where Ravi gets to use the word "XXXXXX" in a sentence. Then she blames it on us.

Don't spoil the moment for her! She lives for this!

Knock it off Allie.

This is usually where Ravi gets to use the word "XXXXXX" in a sentence. Then she blames it on us.

Don't spoil the moment for her! She lives for this!
How funny! You are doing what you've just accused me of doing.

Are you?

Immie

My son took up that challenge, summer before last.

He and his homies were picking blueberries and they were so much better at it than the Hatian carpetbagging agricultural workers that the Hatians stuck for more pay...and got fired.

So, will Americans work harder than migrant workers for the same pay?

Hell yes.

Victory Gardens​

As part of the war effort, the government rationed foods like sugar, butter, milk, cheese, eggs, coffee, meat and canned goods. Labor and transportation shortages made it hard to harvest and move fruits and vegetables to market. So, the government turned to its citizens and encouraged them to plant "Victory Gardens." They wanted individuals to provide their own fruits and vegetables.

Nearly 20 million Americans answered the call. They planted gardens in backyards, empty lots and even city rooftops. Neighbors pooled their resources, planted different kinds of foods and formed cooperatives, all in the name of patriotism.

Farm families, of course, had been planting gardens and preserving produce for generations. Now, their urban cousins got into the act. All in the name of patriotism.

Magazines such as the Saturday Evening Post and Life printed stories about victory gardens, and women's magazines gave instructions on how to grow and preserve garden produce. Families were encouraged to can their own vegetables to save commercial canned goods for the troops. In 1943, families bought 315,000 pressure cookers (used in the process of canning), compared to 66,000 in 1942. The government and businesses urged people to make gardening a family and community effort.

The result of victory gardening? The US Department of Agriculture estimates that more than 20 million victory gardens were planted. Fruit and vegetables harvested in these home and community plots was estimated to be 9-10 million tons, an amount equal to all commercial production of fresh vegetables. So, the program made a difference.

Kelly Holthus remembers that it was hard to find fresh produce, and it was a way for individuals to do their part on the home front. "It was a great moral thing," he says. "And for young people like me, it was, you know, I could do my part. I was a part of the effort!"

When World War II ended, so did the government promotion of victory gardens. Many people did not plant a garden in the spring of 1946, but agriculture had not yet geared up to full production for grocery stores, so the country experienced some food shortages.

Seems as though Americans will pick their own vegetables in order to fight evil!

visa's for Migrant workers are easily had....the farm just basically needs to show no citizens are willing to do the job....

Forum List

Back