Just curious... are you willing to meet the challenge?

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
Think about it and be honest with yourself.

If you are or were (Lord forbid) unemployed, are you willing to meet the challenge?

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs - Yahoo! News

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.

All applicants need to do is fill out an online form under the banner "I want to be a farm worker" at TAKEOURJOBS.ORG, and experienced field hands will train them and connect them to farms.

I am unemployed and I am NOT willing to meet the challenge. My excuse? I have a bad back and there is no way I could survive a day hunched over tomato plants picking tomatoes all day long in the heat, let alone an entire season. That is not even an excuse, it is the truth.

But then I am not one who bitches all day long about illegals taking my jobs either.

I believe that illegals come here illegally because we maintain ridiculously low immigration numbers, we want to pay ridiculously low wages for manual labor, illegals are willing to accept those ridiculously low wages and we can get away with hiring them under the table to provide that labor for us.

No, I am not willing to meet that challenge.

Are you?

Immie

You pussy!:lol:

But seriously, if I was unemployed and had to work to survive, I could do farm labor. When I was incarcerated I was fortunate enough to work in the stables and not in the fields, as most if not all of Texas prisons are actually farms. I would suspect most americans are too fucking lazy to do that type of work and why should they when the government will pay them to sit on their nutsack. There is no way I would ever accept financial help from the govt. If I can't get it on my own, then I don't need it.

Last edited:
No, I am not. I'm in no better shape than you are, Immie. But if farm labor was paid at the minimum wage, there are Americans who would do the work.

There just are not many willing to pay the higher cost of food that would result. Colbert is right about one thing: Americans are hypocritical on illegal immigration. I consider my own position fair as best I can keep it because I am more than willing to give up the benefits of maintaining a virtual shadow slave class in this country in exchange for ending the illegal immigration problem....but most won't admit there are benefits and fewer still are willing to countenance losing them.

Last edited:
What agricultural jobs do these workers do that won't eventually be replaced by machines? IMO, we need to continue to innovate the technology in that area... Which won't happen while we have all this cheap labor...

But seriously, if I was unemployed and had to work to survive, I could do farm labor. When I was incarcerated I was fortunate enough to work in the stables and not in the fields, as most if not all of Texas prisons are actually farms. I would suspect most americans are too fucking lazy to do that type of work and why should they when the government will pay them to sit on their nutsack. There is no way I would ever accept financial help from the govt. If I can't get it on my own, then I don't need it.

I'll admit it and I'm not ashamed to do so. :lol:

Years and years of street football, one drunk driver and a few other minor injuries have made it uncomfortable at times. Livable yes, but uncomfortable.

But, I'll be doggoned if I'm going to pick tomatoes all day long in the Florida heat.

Too lazy? You can say that again. I've lived a cushioned North American life. I simply am not willing to take that challenge and once again, I'm not afraid to admit that.

No, I am not. I'm in no better shape than you are, Immie. But if farm labor was paid at the minimum wage, there are Americans who would do the work.

There just are not many willing to pay the higher cost of food that would result. Colbert is right about one thing: Americans are hypocritical on illegal immigration. I consider my own position fair as best I can keep it because I am more than willing to give up the benefits of maintaining a virtual shadow slave class in this country in exchange for ending the illegal immigration problem....but most won't admit there are benefits and fewer still are willing to countenance losing them.

Yes, there are Americans who would do it, but not in the numbers that we need.

And I agree, we consumers are not willing to pay the higher costs for goods. If we were, we would really be screaming for Immigration Reform rather than whimpering as "we" are.

Immie

If you are or were (Lord forbid) unemployed, are you willing to meet the challenge?

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.

All applicants need to do is fill out an online form under the banner "I want to be a farm worker" at TAKEOURJOBS.ORG, and experienced field hands will train them and connect them to farms.

I am unemployed and I am NOT willing to meet the challenge. My excuse? I have a bad back and there is no way I could survive a day hunched over tomato plants picking tomatoes all day long in the heat, let alone an entire season. That is not even an excuse, it is the truth.

But then I am not one who bitches all day long about illegals taking my jobs either.

I believe that illegals come here illegally because we maintain ridiculously low immigration numbers, we want to pay ridiculously low wages for manual labor, illegals are willing to accept those ridiculously low wages and we can get away with hiring them under the table to provide that labor for us.

Are you?

Immie

Hmmm? Ever go to a grocery store and see any vegetable.....ANY.... that doesn't say "Made in Mexico" or some other Latin American country?

Less than 1% of the people in the US are employed on farms picking vegetables. The truth is Mexicans who sneak in laugh at those jobs and say "Let the ******* do that" and flood large cities like Chicago where they can get LA RAZA to force employers to pay day layborers $13/hr.

Don't believe all the propaganda. Those monkeys want $50,000 SUVs and cable and they will kill Americans to get them.

You know, I've got major health problems, but if I was looking at being homeless and/or starving?

I'll bet I'd be able to waddle my fat ass out and do ANY sort of work offered.

You've got to work to eat, there's just no getting around that.

The thing is, we've got it ass-backwards ~

it's the MANUAL laborers that are worth their weight in GOLD,

and the sooner we figure out that the very top (the "brains") and the very bottom (the actual WORKERS) ARE the "industry,"

the sooner we can get rid of this ridiculous Middle Man idea of "work."

Working to screw folks out of their money isn't working ~ it's just stealing.

Are you?

Immie

Hmmm? Ever go to a grocery store and see any vegetable.....ANY.... that doesn't say "Made in Mexico" or some other Latin American country?

Less than 1% of the people in the US are employed on farms picking vegetables. The truth is Mexicans who sneak in laugh at those jobs and say "Let the ******* do that" and flood large cities like Chicago where they can get LA RAZA to force employers to pay day layborers $13/hr.

Don't believe all the propaganda. Those monkeys want $50,000 SUVs and cable and they will kill Americans to get them.

I don't know where you got that information and I am not saying you are wrong in regards to some illegals, but I can tell you that in many farming communities here in Florida, there are people living in deplorable conditions just trying to survive picking tomatoes and strawberries.

I for one, would not subject myself to those conditions.

Immie

Take a peek at how the cane sugar harvesters are housed and their working conditions before you reply. That's a preview of hell on earth, IMO.

The solution is either to raise wages enough to attract legal workers or forego the crop altogether. We don't need cane sugar; sugar beets would supply us adequately. I'd like to see Big Sugar shoved out the door.

Are you?

Immie

I'm seeing more Americans workers at lawn mowing and landscape companies than were a year ago.

Are you?

Immie

I'm seeing more Americans workers at lawn mowing and landscape companies than were a year ago.

That is for sure.

When I was a kid we walked the streets going door to door asking if we could mow their lawns. The amazing thing is, we'd do it for a buck! It seems now days, an awful lot of people have a lawn service run by a landscaping company charging over $100/month to mow the lawn 3-4 times.

Immie

Take a peek at how the cane sugar harvesters are housed and their working conditions before you reply. That's a preview of hell on earth, IMO.

The solution is either to raise wages enough to attract legal workers or forego the crop altogether. We don't need cane sugar; sugar beets would supply us adequately. I'd like to see Big Sugar shoved out the door.

Besides Hawaii where in the US is there a sugar plantation?

FTR Sugar made from cane is different than the sugar made from beets.

Despite what sugar industry officials claim, beet and cane sugar are not alike. And the sugar industry isn't bothering to tell.

The labels of most brands of sugars on supermarket shelves neglect to say whether what's inside is cane or beet. In some brands, the contents can vary from day to day.

The Chronicle tested and blind- tasted creme brulee, cookies and cakes made with beet and cane sugar and found that indeed there is a difference. In all cases, the products made with cane were superior.

However, many in the sugar industry disregard such results, because the conventional wisdom is that beet and cane are the same -- both types are sucrose and chemically identical.

NOT QUITE EQUAL
It's true that both kinds are sucrose, but only 99.95 percent, and that minuscule 0.05 percent -- made up of trace differences in minerals and proteins -- can have an effect.

Much of the 0.05 percent difference comes from the fact that cane and beets are two different plants altogether. Beets are a root, growing below ground; cane is a grass, waving in the breeze. "That alone can account for mineral profile and content differences," says Charles Baker, vice president for scientific affairs for The Sugar Association, a nonprofit group focusing on sugar's role in diet and health. Other variations are the result of processing.

The beet versus cane controversy is a new development. Cane was once the dominant sugar in U.S. markets, but within the last few years beet has taken the lead. Beet now accounts for 55 percent of the 10 million tons of refined sugar consumed in the country each year. And, according to Ben Goodwin, executive manager of California Beet Growers Association, the percentage is expected to grow.

One reason is that beet sugar is generally cheaper to produce. It requires just one refining process at a single plant. Traditional cane refining demands two processes at two different facilities.

SUGAR, SUGAR / Cane and beet share the same chemistry but act differently in the kitchen - SFGate

Last edited:

That narrows it down. Perhaps a city would be helpful. The only thing my search netted was Hibernia Sugar Plantation Inc. which isn't a plantation but a credit union.

Somewhere around the Everglades. They talk a lot about them and how they are affecting the Everglades around here.

Never seen one myself, but they say they are there.

Immie

That narrows it down. Perhaps a city would be helpful. The only thing my search netted was Hibernia Sugar Plantation Inc. which isn't a plantation but a credit union.

Somewhere around the Everglades. They talk a lot about them and how they are affecting the Everglades around here.

Never seen one myself, but they say they are there.

Immie

Fla. La. and Tex, all have sugarcane growers.

My mind is willing, but my body sure isn't.

There is no shame in doing hard manual labor.

"Hard work wont kill you", is what my mother always said, i think all youth should have to experience it to help build their character.

Are you?

Immie

I ready to take on the challenge but I'm currently to busy working and paying taxes to support their asses. If they are suggesting swapping jobs and want to do mine while I do theirs bring them on. It's bullshit PR stunt.

Forum List

Back