Just curious... are you willing to meet the challenge?

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by Immanuel, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Think about it and be honest with yourself.

If you are or were (Lord forbid) unemployed, are you willing to meet the challenge?

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs - Yahoo! News

I am unemployed and I am NOT willing to meet the challenge. My excuse? I have a bad back and there is no way I could survive a day hunched over tomato plants picking tomatoes all day long in the heat, let alone an entire season. That is not even an excuse, it is the truth.

But then I am not one who bitches all day long about illegals taking my jobs either.

I believe that illegals come here illegally because we maintain ridiculously low immigration numbers, we want to pay ridiculously low wages for manual labor, illegals are willing to accept those ridiculously low wages and we can get away with hiring them under the table to provide that labor for us.

No, I am not willing to meet that challenge.

Are you?

Immie

2. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    You pussy!:lol:

But seriously, if I was unemployed and had to work to survive, I could do farm labor. When I was incarcerated I was fortunate enough to work in the stables and not in the fields, as most if not all of Texas prisons are actually farms. I would suspect most americans are too fucking lazy to do that type of work and why should they when the government will pay them to sit on their nutsack. There is no way I would ever accept financial help from the govt. If I can't get it on my own, then I don't need it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    No, I am not. I'm in no better shape than you are, Immie. But if farm labor was paid at the minimum wage, there are Americans who would do the work.

There just are not many willing to pay the higher cost of food that would result. Colbert is right about one thing: Americans are hypocritical on illegal immigration. I consider my own position fair as best I can keep it because I am more than willing to give up the benefits of maintaining a virtual shadow slave class in this country in exchange for ending the illegal immigration problem....but most won't admit there are benefits and fewer still are willing to countenance losing them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. Nate

Nate VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    What agricultural jobs do these workers do that won't eventually be replaced by machines? IMO, we need to continue to innovate the technology in that area... Which won't happen while we have all this cheap labor...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I'll admit it and I'm not ashamed to do so. :lol:

Years and years of street football, one drunk driver and a few other minor injuries have made it uncomfortable at times. Livable yes, but uncomfortable.

But, I'll be doggoned if I'm going to pick tomatoes all day long in the Florida heat.

Too lazy? You can say that again. I've lived a cushioned North American life. I simply am not willing to take that challenge and once again, I'm not afraid to admit that.

Yes, there are Americans who would do it, but not in the numbers that we need.

And I agree, we consumers are not willing to pay the higher costs for goods. If we were, we would really be screaming for Immigration Reform rather than whimpering as "we" are.

Immie

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hmmm? Ever go to a grocery store and see any vegetable.....ANY.... that doesn't say "Made in Mexico" or some other Latin American country?

Less than 1% of the people in the US are employed on farms picking vegetables. The truth is Mexicans who sneak in laugh at those jobs and say "Let the ******* do that" and flood large cities like Chicago where they can get LA RAZA to force employers to pay day layborers $13/hr.

Don't believe all the propaganda. Those monkeys want $50,000 SUVs and cable and they will kill Americans to get them.

7. fyrenza

fyrenza Ariel Looney Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +378
    You know, I've got major health problems, but if I was looking at being homeless and/or starving?

I'll bet I'd be able to waddle my fat ass out and do ANY sort of work offered.

You've got to work to eat, there's just no getting around that.

The thing is, we've got it ass-backwards ~

it's the MANUAL laborers that are worth their weight in GOLD,

and the sooner we figure out that the very top (the "brains") and the very bottom (the actual WORKERS) ARE the "industry,"

the sooner we can get rid of this ridiculous Middle Man idea of "work."

Working to screw folks out of their money isn't working ~ it's just stealing.

8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I don't know where you got that information and I am not saying you are wrong in regards to some illegals, but I can tell you that in many farming communities here in Florida, there are people living in deplorable conditions just trying to survive picking tomatoes and strawberries.

I for one, would not subject myself to those conditions.

Immie

9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Take a peek at how the cane sugar harvesters are housed and their working conditions before you reply. That's a preview of hell on earth, IMO.

The solution is either to raise wages enough to attract legal workers or forego the crop altogether. We don't need cane sugar; sugar beets would supply us adequately. I'd like to see Big Sugar shoved out the door.

10. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I'm seeing more Americans workers at lawn mowing and landscape companies than were a year ago.