Just curious... are you willing to meet the challenge?

Teenagers and such used to do the seasonal farm work around here.

They are just to gol darned lazy to pick up money now though.

As I've mentioned, in another discussion, I have a few family members that own lawn care businesses.
From Oct 08 - May 09 I was unemployed and had no reservations about going out and mowing lawns to make my money.

In the fields, though? I don't know. Probably. Plenty of orange groves around if need be.

My mind is willing, but my body sure isn't.

There is no shame in doing hard manual labor.

"Hard work wont kill you", is what my mother always said, i think all youth should have to experience it to help build their character.

While I do not disagree with this statement, I am hardly in the "youth" category any longer. :eek:

Immie

Think about it and be honest with yourself.

If you are or were (Lord forbid) unemployed, are you willing to meet the challenge?

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs - Yahoo! News

I am unemployed and I am NOT willing to meet the challenge. My excuse? I have a bad back and there is no way I could survive a day hunched over tomato plants picking tomatoes all day long in the heat, let alone an entire season. That is not even an excuse, it is the truth.

But then I am not one who bitches all day long about illegals taking my jobs either.

I believe that illegals come here illegally because we maintain ridiculously low immigration numbers, we want to pay ridiculously low wages for manual labor, illegals are willing to accept those ridiculously low wages and we can get away with hiring them under the table to provide that labor for us.

No, I am not willing to meet that challenge.

Are you?

Immie

Hmmm? Ever go to a grocery store and see any vegetable.....ANY.... that doesn't say "Made in Mexico" or some other Latin American country?

Less than 1% of the people in the US are employed on farms picking vegetables. The truth is Mexicans who sneak in laugh at those jobs and say "Let the ******* do that" and flood large cities like Chicago where they can get LA RAZA to force employers to pay day layborers $13/hr.

Don't believe all the propaganda. Those monkeys want $50,000 SUVs and cable and they will kill Americans to get them.

I don't know where you got that information and I am not saying you are wrong in regards to some illegals, but I can tell you that in many farming communities here in Florida, there are people living in deplorable conditions just trying to survive picking tomatoes and strawberries.

I for one, would not subject myself to those conditions.

Immie

Imagine what an African would think. LOOK!......FOOD!..... WATER!......

I have no sympathy for those who overpopulate their own countries then expect Americans to feed their lazy rat-breeding asses! Mexicans want to live like Americans without doing the 500 years of work it took.

Hmmm? Ever go to a grocery store and see any vegetable.....ANY.... that doesn't say "Made in Mexico" or some other Latin American country?

Less than 1% of the people in the US are employed on farms picking vegetables. The truth is Mexicans who sneak in laugh at those jobs and say "Let the ******* do that" and flood large cities like Chicago where they can get LA RAZA to force employers to pay day layborers $13/hr.

Don't believe all the propaganda. Those monkeys want $50,000 SUVs and cable and they will kill Americans to get them.

I don't know where you got that information and I am not saying you are wrong in regards to some illegals, but I can tell you that in many farming communities here in Florida, there are people living in deplorable conditions just trying to survive picking tomatoes and strawberries.

Immie

I have no sympathy for those who overpopulate their own countries then expect Americans to feed their lazy rat-breeding asses! Mexicans want to live like Americans without doing the 500 years of work it took.
Kind of like you, huh?

Indeed. Before I joined the service, I was a construction laborer.

If it was the only work available, and I had to feed my family, yes, I would do farm labor.

A related question: Why aren't we making able-bodied welfare recipients work for their handouts?

If it was the only work available, and I had to feed my family, yes, I would do farm labor.

A related question: Why aren't we making able-bodied welfare recipients work for their handouts?

Most of them are black--It wouldn't be fair.

What agricultural jobs do these workers do that won't eventually be replaced by machines? IMO, we need to continue to innovate the technology in that area... Which won't happen while we have all this cheap labor...

Pulling rye and harvesting asparagus!

I would work at anything that was full time. This is why I have a varied employment background. I don't mind physical labor or getting dirty. My jobs skills now are such that I probably won't have to go back to that again, but you NEVER KNOW and I would certainly do it if I needed to.

And picking strawberries..I don't see machines taking that over any time soon.

Immie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKNoJ2BzSRU]YouTube - Sam Kinison about world hunger (1st Letterman appearance)[/ame]

:lol:

'Just curious... are you willing to meet the challenge?'

Are people even aware that these field jobs are done by LEGAL immigrants??? They are brought here by the Agriculture Department. Many are seasonal workers who have been doing these jobs since forever! What challenge???? Are people even aware that way back when it WAS americans who picked the veggies, fruits, cotton??? But as americans became more educated, the field work was left to those who did not go on to better themselves and to the poor, uneducated from south of the border....has anybody heard of the H2A Nonimmigrant visa?

Are people even aware that these field jobs are done by LEGAL immigrants??? They are brought here by the Agriculture Department. Many are seasonal workers who have been doing these jobs since forever! What challenge???? Are people even aware that way back when it WAS americans who picked the veggies, fruits, cotton??? But as americans became more educated, the field work was left to those who did not go on to better themselves and to the poor, uneducated from south of the border....has anybody heard of the H2A Nonimmigrant visa?

It's easier for some to think that, if we get rid of illegals, we'll pay $10 for a head of lettuce.
The field owner is going to pay me the same wage as any other picker.... $X per bucket/bushel

If that were the case, then we would not be having the discussion we are having in regards to illegal immigration. We would not be discussing thousands of undocumented aliens streaming across the borders of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you Angel, there are illegal aliens working in our fields and we encourage it.

Immie

That's true...some people want handouts for free. Asking them to earn them is racist.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

That's true...some people want handouts for free. Asking them to earn them is racist.

:lol:

It's easier for some to think that, if we get rid of illegals, we'll pay $10 for a head of lettuce.
The field owner is going to pay me the same wage as any other picker.... $X per bucket/bushel

oh durn---you mean I would have to do without lettuce ??:ack-1:

If that were the case, then we would not be having the discussion we are having in regards to illegal immigration. We would not be discussing thousands of undocumented aliens streaming across the borders of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you Angel, there are illegal aliens working in our fields and we encourage it.

Immie

Yes, we do have many illegals working the fields and have for a long time....thus the reason why Cesar Chavez faught so hard against illegals coming in here and wanted them stopped at the border as he knew that it would either bring the wages down for the LEGALS or kick them out a their jobs completely - but - there are those who seem to want people to think that it's a job done ONLY by illegals and that is just NOT the case. I would go as far as to say that those illegals who work in the fields is the LEAST of our problems cause those jobs americans truly don't want - but many americans have always worked construction and many have worked in the food industry and others as a means to get through college and THOSE jobs americans do want....mho

Forum List

Back