Just a Heads Up ...

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
For anyone who hasn't already heard and has plans to travel I-75 through KY/TN state line, we've had a massive land slide just over the line in TN. Southbound lanes are closed, one northbound lane may be open. Southbound traffic be prepared to take detour on back roads from Jellico to Caryville before getting back on I-75.

That sounds like a huge mess. Too much rain?

Probably - we've had some rain storms and high winds ... actually, with the exception of a couple days of blue skies and sun, something has been falling from the sky in some form for the last couple of months. I'm about over it. I'm probably 35 or so miles from the landslide area and they get slammed a lot worse than we do. It's not unusual for I-75 to close when it snows, but this looks like a really bad slide. Something was said on the news about them having to drive nails (whatever that means) some 50 feet under the highway to hold stuff together till they can things fixed. But some of those back roads ... you can only pray.

Probably - we've had some rain storms and high winds ... actually, with the exception of a couple days of blue skies and sun, something has been falling from the sky in some form for the last couple of months. I'm about over it. I'm probably 35 or so miles from the landslide area and they get slammed a lot worse than we do. It's not unusual for I-75 to close when it snows, but this looks like a really bad slide. Something was said on the news about them having to drive nails (whatever that means) some 50 feet under the highway to hold stuff together till they can things fixed. But some of those back roads ... you can only pray.

WOW it sounds like it is huge. Wonder how in the world they drive nails 50 feet under the highway?

WOW it sounds like it is huge. Wonder how in the world they drive nails 50 feet under the highway?

I'm wondering what a 50 foot nail looks like!! Copied a clip from Facebook:

If you know of anyone that is planning to travel I-75 near the Kentucky/Tennessee border in the next couple of weeks, you might want to pass along this information...

Rockslide Shuts Down I-75 in Both Directions in Tennessee; Closure Could Last Weeks, Officials Say
A rockslide that occurred on I-75 in Tennessee will likely cause traffic headaches for weeks.
WEATHER.COM

TDOT closing I-75 southbound at Jellico after rock slide

JACKSBORO, Tenn. (AP) - Tennessee transportation officials are closing both southbound lanes of Interstate 75 just below the Kentucky state line.

A rock slide had caused the closing of 1 northbound and one southbound lane on Thursday. Tennessee Department of Transportation geotechnical engineers have since determined that an earthen embankment under the highway is sliding near the Stinking Creek exit at mile marker 144.

The closure will force thousands of southbound drivers to take a 26-mile detour through LaFollette (luh-FAH'-let) to get around the site. It is expected to affect college students heading south for spring break.

TDOT planned to close the southbound lanes at 2 p.m. EST on Friday. There was no estimate about when the section might reopen.

TDOT spokesman Mark Nagi told The Knoxville News Sentinel (http://bit.ly/y8Kf40 ) southbound traffic on I-75 should take the Jellico exit at mile marker 160 and detour to exit 141 at Caryville.

Forum List

Back