Jussie Smollet vs. Morton Downey, Jr.

God forbid if there were two white men walking in the same area at the time he said this happened. You loons would be out to kill them. Since Trump was elected, liberals have proven to be mentally deranged.

Why, you can catch a white guy red handed shooting a kid 16 times while he's lying on the ground and he only gets six years...
Well lets see, an illegal can do it and get no time.

Chicago has so many unsolved murders because it is infested with the gang and drug violence culture encourage by The Great Society (which destroyed family formation) and The War on Drugs. The murder rate is incredibly high, and the gang culture is not going cooperate with the police; they also intimidate the innocent people in the community to stay silent.

actually, a lot of cities have much higher murder rates.. Chicago only has a higher raw number of murders because it's such a large city.

the main reason why people don't cooperate with the police is the police have a pretty ugly history in this city. John Burge torturing suspects, some of whom went to death row. He got a whopping two years in prison.

Jason van Dyke shot LaQuan Mcdonald 16 times, got a slap on the wrist. Another cop beat the shit out of a bartender, another framed hundreds of people on false drug charges... I could go on and on. This is why the community doesn't trust the police.

Trying to blame the Police for the unsolved murders and Smollett's hoax is pretty pathetic.

Hey remember that time in 1989 when Conservative Talk show host Morton Downey, Jr. (the Pre-Rush Limbaugh) faked an attack by Neo Nazis in a San Francisco bathroom

Morton Downey Jr. - Wikipedia

In late April 1989, he was involved in an incident in a San Francisco International Airport restroom in which he claimed to have been attacked by neo-Nazis who painted a swastika on his face and attempted to shave his head.[20] Some inconsistencies in Downey's account (e.g., the swastika was painted in reverse, suggesting that Downey had drawn it himself in a mirror), and the failure of the police to find supportive evidence,[21] led many to suspect the incident was a hoax and a ploy for attention.[7][22] In July 1989, his show was canceled, with the owners of the show announcing that the last episode had been taped on June 30, and that no new shows would air after September 15, 1989.

View attachment 247152

Funny thing happened. He didn't go to jail. There wasn't a horrid hew and cry about the moral decay in America.... The country just smirked that some loser was desperately seeking attention.

Imagine that. An appropriate response.

You’re unbelievably pathetic. You got your ass kicked by sweet sue in the last thread and you’re so butthurt about it you start a new, uneccisary thread about it. Why don’t you protest this travesty of justice somewhere. I mean it’s ridiculous to prosecute young black men for FAKING CRIMES. See who’s with you on that and good luck

You’re unbelievably pathetic. You got your ass kicked by sweet sue in the last thread and you’re so butthurt about it you start a new, uneccisary thread about it. Why don’t you protest this travesty of justice somewhere. I mean it’s ridiculous to prosecute young black men for FAKING CRIMES. See who’s with you on that and good luck

Um, i started this thread long before Sweet Sue tried to rationalize white privilege on technicalities.

Trying to blame the Police for the unsolved murders...

Um, the police's job is to solve murders.

The fact the cops have a whopping 17% murder clearance rate says a lot about their lack of competence.

Murder ‘clearance’ rate in Chicago hit new low in 2017

17% clearance rate? That's fucking pathetic!

Heck, with that level of incompetence, no wonder Smollet thought he could get away with it.

So far this year, there have been 44 homicides in Chicago, not one of which has received the publicity of Smollett's Hoax. Blaming the police is an easy, lazy, kneejerk PC maneuver, but it doesn't change the fact that Smollett's hoax consumed police resources that would have been better devoted to investigating a crime where there was a real victim.

So far this year, there have been 44 homicides in Chicago, not one of which has received the publicity of Smollett's Hoax. Blaming the police is an easy, lazy, kneejerk PC maneuver, but it doesn't change the fact that Smollett's hoax consumed police resources that would have been better devoted to investigating a crime where there was a real victim.

Okay, let's look at that. There are 14,000 members of the CPD. How many of them worked on this case?

I agree, this case got a lot more attention that it really merited, because Smollet was a celebrity and it got national headlines. I'm glad the CPD put down the donuts long enough to do their jobs in this case. Now if we can just get them to do that in the 83% of murders they didn't bother to solve in 2017.

Hey remember that time in 1989 when Conservative Talk show host Morton Downey, Jr. (the Pre-Rush Limbaugh) faked an attack by Neo Nazis in a San Francisco bathroom

In late April 1989, he was involved in an incident in a San Francisco International Airport restroom in which he claimed to have been attacked by neo-Nazis who painted a swastika on his face and attempted to shave his head.[20] Some inconsistencies in Downey's account (e.g., the swastika was painted in reverse, suggesting that Downey had drawn it himself in a mirror), and the failure of the police to find supportive evidence,[21] led many to suspect the incident was a hoax and a ploy for attention.[7][22] In July 1989, his show was canceled, with the owners of the show announcing that the last episode had been taped on June 30, and that no new shows would air after September 15, 1989.

View attachment 247152

Funny thing happened. He didn't go to jail. There wasn't a horrid hew and cry about the moral decay in America.... The country just smirked that some loser was desperately seeking attention.

Are you seriously attempting a comparison of two different incidents 30 years apart, under different circumstances, in two different legal jurisdictions?

Cmon, don’t blame Downey. It’s still somehow Donnie’s fault. I think Donnie put Downey up to it. But god has since taken Downey to hell [emoji2957].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 247152

You had to go back 30 years for a "Whataboutism"?

Hahahaha.... I don't even remember it happening....

Hey, the 80's called, and they want their politics back...

I hear the desperation... Yes, let's pretend that we have equal justice in this country when we treat black folks differently than white folks for the same stupidity.

View attachment 247152

Are you seriously attempting a comparison of two different incidents 30 years apart, under different circumstances, in two different legal jurisdictions?

I see that Joe is totally ignoring how I took him to task yesterday over the fact that Downey never filed a police report, which I linked earlier in this thread.

I hear the desperation... Yes, let's pretend that we have equal justice in this country when we treat black folks differently than white folks for the same stupidity.

Different day, Joe still ignoring facts. This is how you remain a clueless liberal for 57 years

I see that Joe is totally ignoring how I took him to task yesterday over the fact that Downey never filed a police report, which I linked earlier in this thread.

Because it's completely irrelevant to the point. Downey DID break laws and DID perpetrate a fraud in what he did.

But again. White privilege.

Different day, Joe still ignoring facts. This is how you remain a clueless liberal for 57 years

You don't have facts... you are trying to argue a legal technicality and ignoring the larger moral question.

Did both Downey and Smollet do the same thing MORALLY? Yup. They both faked attacks on themselves to promote their failing careers.

So why give the white guy a pass and the black guy a criminal charge? Morally, their behaviors were equally repugnant.

Legally, they could have the choice of ignoring it or finding a way to twist the law to bring charges.

So the White guy got a pass... the black guy got charged.

Welcome to America.

View attachment 247152

You seem to think the two cases are sufficiently similar that only a racial motive can explain why one man was arrested and the other was not. I strongly disagree. In the case of Morton Downey, Junior, there was a lack of sufficient evidence to take the case to trail. This is from the link that you provided:

“Authorities doubt television talk show host Morton Downey Jr.'s story that he was attacked by skinheads in a San Francisco International Airport rest room. However, due to insufficient evidence, charges will not be pressed against the controversial celebrity, who said his attackers cut a chunk of his hair and drew a swastika on his face with a marker. Officials were unable to find any suspects or witnesses in the case.” (Note: See footnote 21.)

In the case of Jussie Smollett, there was ample evidence to arrest him. There were actual witnesses in the Smollett case, the two Nigerians brothers who testified Smollett paid them to stage the alleged attack. There was also the check from Smollett that proved the brothers received the money and video footage that showed them as being the only two persons near the “crime scene”. There is other evidence, including a video showing the brothers purchasing items used in the staged attack. From an evidentiary standpoint, the cases are vastly different and there is no way to make this a racial issue.

Both Morton Downey, Junior, and Jussie Smollett are dishonest and despicable pieces of excrement. The one noticeable difference between the two is that Downey was smart enough, or lucky enough, not to leave a trail of incriminating evidence for the police to find.

CONCLUSION: The difference in the outcomes between the Morton Downey, Junior, case and the Jussie Smollett case has nothing to do with the race of the accused. It is all about the evidence. I am convinced that if the police had the same evidence against Downey, he would have been arrested.

You seem to think the two cases are sufficiently similar that only a racial motive can explain why one man was arrested and the other was not. I strongly disagree. In the case of Morton Downey, Junior, there was a lack of sufficient evidence to take the case to trail. This is from the link that you provided:

No, the major difference was that in one case, they decided that it wasn't worth following, because White Privilege.

And in another, it was because no black guy was going to try to put one over on us that uppity negro.

Both Morton Downey, Junior, and Jussie Smollett are dishonest and despicable pieces of excrement. The one noticeable difference between the two is that Downey was smart enough, or lucky enough, not to leave a trail of incriminating evidence for the police to find.

Or he did and no one bothered to look for it. It was kind of obvious it was a fake because the Swastika was drawn backwards, like you would do in a mirror.

Again, it strikes me that a CPD that can only clear 17% of murders in Chicago, can devote all these resources to whether a guy had someone beat himself up... seems like misplaced priorities.

No, the major difference was that in one case, they decided that it wasn't worth following, because White Privilege.

And in another, it was because no black guy was going to try to put one over on us that uppity negro.

Or he did and no one bothered to look for it. It was kind of obvious it was a fake because the Swastika was drawn backwards, like you would do in a mirror.

Again, it strikes me that a CPD that can only clear 17% of murders in Chicago, can devote all these resources to whether a guy had someone beat himself up... seems like misplaced priorities.

You see the reverse image of a swastika as conclusive proof that Downey made the image himself by looking in a mirror. You failed to consider alternative explanations including the possibility that someone else did it but mistakenly drew the image the wrong way. During my life, I have seen others do the symbol “backwards.” I still consider the evidence against Smollett to be much stronger than the evidence against Downey; however, when it comes to accusing the police of being discriminatory, the quality of evidence of a staged attack in each case is totally irrelevant.

There is one thing you did not consider, something which conclusively proves there was no type of racial discrimination in the handling of both cases. While both man faked injuries, the injuries were self-inflicted which is not a crime. If that were all that Smollett did he would not have been arrested. Smollett was arrested for filing a false police complaint which is a crime. When you make an accusation that two individuals were treated disparately because of race, it is absolutely imperative that you prove both men were similarly situated. Downey and Smollett were not similarly situated in that only Smollett engaged in conduct which could be considered a crime. Downey wisely did not file a complaint with the police. The following excerpts are from the United Press International:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Controversial TV talk show host Morton Downey Jr. claimed three skinheads attacked him in an airport restroom - chopping his hair and smearing him with swastikas -- but authorities disputed the report.

'Our preliminary investigation shows that this was self-inflicted for whatever reason we don't know,' Ron Wilson, spokesman at San Francisco International Airport, said Tuesday. 'We can only assume it was for publicity.'

Downey, who declined to file a police complaint, flew back to New York Tuesday morning but insisted the attack was real and he was punched by the assailants, one of whom he kicked.

Brash TV host's attack claim disputed

Conclusion: There was no racial discrimination of any kind involving the difference in treatment of Morton Downey, Junior, and Jussie Smollett. Smollett was arrested because he was accused of conduct which is criminal (filing a false police complaint) and Downey was not arrested because what he did is not a crime.

You have the last word. I've said what what I wanted to say and I'm outta here.

There is one thing you did not consider, something which conclusively proves there was no type of racial discrimination in the handling of both cases. While both man faked injuries, the injuries were self-inflicted which is not a crime. If that were all that Smollett did he would not have been arrested. Smollett was arrested for filing a false police complaint which is a crime.

Guy, guy, you can pretend all day it was that they were SOOOOO upset about a false police report.

But the fact is.

White guy fakes a hate attack- No charges filed.
Black guy fakes a hate attack- GET THAT GUY! RUIN HIS LIFE! THROW HIM IN JAIL! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

Forum List

Back