Judiaism

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sunni Man, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    The foundation of Judiaism is that God spoke to Abraham and told him that that his family, i.e. his decendants, were the "Chosen" people.

Adolph Hilter told the Germans that they were superior to all other people.

My drunk uncle told me that I shouldn't care about anyone but myself and my family - no one else mattered.

The Jews and Germans believed what they were told.

Unlike the Jews or the Germans, I chose to ignore the drunk old goat.

The Jews have been persecuted for millenia, the Germans nearly annihilated.

Do you see a pattern here?

Is there a such thing as a superiority complex?

2. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Apples and oranges.

3. TeachMe

TeachMe Student of Politics

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allow me, as your resident Jew, to sit down, and explain to you my story true.

Anyway, God doesn't refer to the Hebrews as "The Chosen People" because we are better than anybody else (inherently) or because we are His favorites. We were chosen for a reason. We were the ones chosen to enter into His covenant. We were chosen because he had (and still has) a job for us to do. We are under His contract. We are chosen, yes, but we are burdened.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    God might have spoke to Abraham but from the little I know of Judaism Abraham and his descendants weren't backward in giving God a bit of lip :D

I remember the Bill Cosby "Noah" sketch and at one point Cosby as Noah is getting really cranky with God and telling Him off (then it rains and Cosby/Noah goes all sooky - which is the humorous bit). But I've been told that sort of questioning of God - not directly of course but probably through discussion with a Rabbi of the Talmud - is part and parcel of Judaism. I like that. I like it a lot more than the other schools of religion which emphasise submission and obedience. That simply allows those running the religion to con their followers into doing what they want them to do.

But as for "chosen" people? I can just see God rolling his eyes (there's a thought, if we look to the Heavens then where does God look to?) and muttering under his breath "Oy vey, these are difficult children, very difficult indeed."

Not so much a superiority complex as a cranky complex :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. TeachMe

TeachMe Student of Politics

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. Judaism teaches that you shouldn't do stupid and immoral things just because someone (including and expecially God) tells you to. You should THINK before you ACT.

Many of our traditions stem from arguments with God. For example, in order to conduct a proper service, it is necessary to have a congregation of at least 10 people (called a "minyan"). This tradition stems from the story of Abraham arguing with God about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God was ready to smite S&G, but Abraham argued that if there were 100 righteous men in S&G, to not smite them. However, Abraham could not find 100 righteous men in S&G. God was more ready to smite S&G. Abraham lowered the number to 90, but was still unable to find that number of righteous men. Abraham kept staying God's wrath to be humored for finding a decreasing number of righteous men in S&G. Every time he sought these righteous men, however, he came back empty-handed. Finally, he got down to 10. He argued that if ten men were righteous in S&G, it would be unconscionable for God to smite them. When he was unable to find those ten, he stopped arguing and allowed God to smite S&G.

In fact, "Israel" means "He who fights with God."

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Yes, there is.

And I feel terribly sorry for you poor sods not blessed with one.

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    i thought it meant, "he, who struggles with God'', though the meaning somewhat the same as fights with God...

also, i realize that it was a covenent with the Jews, but weren't they chosen to be the keeper of the Word of God, or keepers of the Torah?

Care

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Having once owned a carpet cleaning company in Boston, one which serviced Boston's largest slumlords -- those three guys who owned the largest and most notorious collections of student slums in Boston -- I sort of came to the conclusion that the covenent meant that the Jews must be the keepers of the the real estate located at Mediteranian and Baltic Avenues.

Nice guys, they were, but seriously bad landlords.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    One of my favorite stories that my rabbi tells is about a bunch of rabbi's discussing the torah and arguing about it when G-d interjects and they tell him to stay out of it. heh... ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Oh that Abraham---always wheeling and dealing.