Judge Roy Moore defies feds: 'Law is very clear'

Privatize Marriage Now

Reviewed by Ryan McMaken

The state hates it when property changes hands without being taxed and regulated, so the state set its sights on marriage centuries ago. Over time civil governments inserted themselves more and more into the religious institutions of marriage. This was helped along by the Reformation and by defenders of government-controlled marriage like King Henry VIII of England. As nation-states consolidated their monopolies on all law and over all institutions in society, the state finally displaced religious institutions as the final arbiter on marriage.

Many people get "married" in courthouses in totally non-religious ceremonies. Such marriage contracts are in essence no different from run-of-the-mill legal contracts. The fact that we call such unions "marriage" doesn’t make them so. In the Judeo-Christian tradition, marriage is a religious matter. Some government judge can’t make you "married" any more than can your hair dresser. Here, we see that the so-called "traditional" marriage types who nevertheless defend government civil "marriage" (as defined by them) have already sown the seeds of their own defeat. They’ve already removed the institution of marriage from its traditional role and status.

Unfortunately, though, when Conservatives and Christian Right types bemoan the loss of so-called "traditional" marriage yet agitate for more government control of the institution, they really have only themselves to blame since they’re therefore accepting the proposition that government has the legitimate authority to regulate and control marriage. The power to regulate marriage is the power to destroy it
. "

Isn't it odd how this only comes up because gay couples want to legally marry. Where were these people all along?

not odd at all, most people didnt think it was up to judges to redefine basic terms......they thought they should interpret conflicts within the law.......

But federal patronage judges have decided that here is their chance to give meaning to their otherwise mundane tho overpaid job.....even if it does mean ruling on emotion and not logic.
Yeah right; since when does the right have any problem with judicial activism when it is in their favor.

first its not really a left-right issue.....I consider myself on the left..........I imagine a huge chunk of those voting against gay marriage in California were democrats.......I believe Obama won the election there that year on the same ballot that gay marriage lost.

second.....this isnt really a law issue......it a definitional issue. Judges are redefining terms .........which is really a way to pull the rug out from under the law.

Of course it is a law issue.

The concept is not complicated: The United States Constitution and the protections thereof are superior to State Constitutions and Federal law.

Judges- over a dozen- have found that the bans on same gender marriage violate certain provisions of the U.S. Constitution.

Those decisions have been upheld by the Appeals Courts- all except 1. If it wasn't for that 1 Appeals court- the Supreme Court would have just left the decisions standing- but instead the Supreme Court will hear the case and make a decision.

Like the Supreme Court has done at least 3 other times when it comes to state marriage laws.

It isnt a law issue in the sense that all those laws you (and a bunch of lazy judges,) find it violated never were broken before.....It all rests on a definition.....that the courts are re-defining....for emotional...not legal reasons.

Isn't it odd how this only comes up because gay couples want to legally marry. Where were these people all along?

not odd at all, most people didnt think it was up to judges to redefine basic terms......they thought they should interpret conflicts within the law.......

But federal patronage judges have decided that here is their chance to give meaning to their otherwise mundane tho overpaid job.....even if it does mean ruling on emotion and not logic.
Yeah right; since when does the right have any problem with judicial activism when it is in their favor.

first its not really a left-right issue.....I consider myself on the left..........I imagine a huge chunk of those voting against gay marriage in California were democrats.......I believe Obama won the election there that year on the same ballot that gay marriage lost.

second.....this isnt really a law issue......it a definitional issue. Judges are redefining terms .........which is really a way to pull the rug out from under the law.

The concept is not complicated: The United States Constitution and the protections thereof are superior to State Constitutions and Federal law.

Judges- over a dozen- have found that the bans on same gender marriage violate certain provisions of the U.S. Constitution.

Those decisions have been upheld by the Appeals Courts- all except 1. If it wasn't for that 1 Appeals court- the Supreme Court would have just left the decisions standing- but instead the Supreme Court will hear the case and make a decision.

Like the Supreme Court has done at least 3 other times when it comes to state marriage laws.

It isnt a law issue in the sense that all those laws you (and a bunch of lazy judges,) find it violated never were broken before.....It all rests on a definition.....that the courts are re-defining....for emotional...not legal reasons.

And you make that claim based upon your emotional response, not based upon legal reasons.

That's true, gay marriage did lose the same year Obama was elected. And you're right, Judges are redefining terms which truly is a form of sabotaging duly-enacted law.

They're getting a leg-up too from Supreme Court Justices with shadow-justice issuing refusals to keep stays on interim law pending a final Hearing on the merits: causing attrition to state marriage laws without explanation or redress of the states: Justices Indicate Shadow-Bias Gay Marriage Question Erodes Last Bastion of Impariality US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

yep, whatever your position on gay marriage is....you should be concerned about court overreach here.

That's true, gay marriage did lose the same year Obama was elected. And you're right, Judges are redefining terms which truly is a form of sabotaging duly-enacted law.

They're getting a leg-up too from Supreme Court Justices with shadow-justice issuing refusals to keep stays on interim law pending a final Hearing on the merits: causing attrition to state marriage laws without explanation or redress of the states: Justices Indicate Shadow-Bias Gay Marriage Question Erodes Last Bastion of Impariality US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

yep, whatever your position on gay marriage is....you should be concerned about court overreach here.

The Supreme Court has ruled on state marriage laws at least 3 times before.

Why do you think this time is 'overreach'?

And you make that claim based upon your emotional response, not based upon legal reasons.

no, again, I base it on history.....and simple common sense......

Why do YOU trust a court who has decided wrongly on citizens united,.....and Kelo ...and numerous others....they don't get ANYTHING right.....what makes you think they're getting this right.

pursuing this in court rather than the ballot box has already created some disturbing interpretations of standing in California....and of the role of the courts to hear a case before they decide.....as in refusal to grant stays.....that go beyond your simple focus on one issue.

no, again, I base it on history.....and simple common sense.......

Common sense is nothing more than your rationalization for deciding this based upon your emotional response.

The judges- and the Justices however, actually base their rulings on analysis of the Constitution, the law and precedent

I bet you couldn't type that with a straight face.

no, again, I base it on history.....and simple common sense......

Why do YOU trust a court who has decided wrongly on citizens united,.....and Kelo ...and numerous others....they don't get ANYTHING right.....what makes you think they're getting this right.

pursuing this in court rather than the ballot box has already created some disturbing interpretations of standing in California....and of the role of the courts to hear a case before they decide.....as in refusal to grant stays.....that go beyond your simple focus on one issue.

They eventually get civil rights right. Civil rights have a history of being won through the courts as much as through legislation.

They eventually get civil rights right. Civil rights have a history of being won through the courts as much as through legislation.

Because of the high stakes of using kids as guinea pigs in a new social experiment, the largest number of people need to weigh in on this one. Therefore it must be reaffirmed as within the states' authority for their broad consensus in each of their discreet communities to weigh.

Kids welfare trumps everyone else's concern in this debate. There is no question about that. States must have the say on this.

no, again, I base it on history.....and simple common sense.......

Common sense is nothing more than your rationalization for deciding this based upon your emotional response.

The judges- and the Justices however, actually base their rulings on analysis of the Constitution, the law and precedent

Yeah that's why one last year misquoted the declaration of independence,......and rushed out an opinion to have it ready for valentines day ......what a joke............

Kids welfare trumps everyone else's concern in this debate. There is no question about that. States must have the say on this.

Gay couples that have children= denying them marriage only ensures that their children will not have married parents.
Gay couples that never have children= denying them marriage has no impact on children at all

What children are you speaking of Silhouette- what children do you think would be 'harmed by gay marriage' and how?

Because gay parents have children with or without marriage- and preventing them from marriage only 'protects' their children from having married parents.

Any gender based definition is an appeal to ignorance of the law for the several citizens in the several States.

Because of the high stakes of using kids as guinea pigs in a new social experiment, the largest number of people need to weigh in on this one. Therefore it must be reaffirmed as within the states' authority for their broad consensus in each of their discreet communities to weigh.

Sorry; you just proved yourself "wrong". If the stakes are that high then Spartan policies public may give us the best chance at providing for the common Defense and general welfare of the United States.

1. Gay couples that have children= denying them marriage only ensures that their children will not have married parents.
Gay couples that never have children= denying them marriage has no impact on children at all...2.What children are you speaking of Silhouette- what children do you think would be 'harmed by gay marriage' and how?... 3. Because gay parents have children with or without marriage- and preventing them from marriage only 'protects' their children from having married parents.

1. Polygamists and wolves and single parents who have children = denying them marriage only insures that their children will not have married parent(s).

2. I'm speaking of all children who will be harmed into the unforeseeable future by institutionalizing a formative environment that lacks the gender of the child as a role model in 50% of all children involved in so-called "gay marriage". But you already know this because you've read what I've said about that like what, 500 times now? That you're playing dumb on this subject means that something about it scares you.

3. Refer to #1.

The question, therefore, of who states incentivize to marry is up to the states, not 5 people in Washington DC, about three of which have declared complete bias on the case before it is even heard, both sides on their arguments' merits. One as recently as two days ago...

Who should have the say on using 100s of millions of kids as guinea pigs in an experiment we already know the results of should be left up to the states, not an oligarchy with bias: Prince s Trust Survey The Voices of the Voteless Children in Gay Marriage Debate US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum & Justices Indicate Shadow-Bias Gay Marriage Question Erodes Last Bastion of Impariality US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

1. Gay couples that have children= denying them marriage only ensures that their children will not have married parents.
Gay couples that never have children= denying them marriage has no impact on children at all...2.What children are you speaking of Silhouette- what children do you think would be 'harmed by gay marriage' and how?... 3. Because gay parents have children with or without marriage- and preventing them from marriage only 'protects' their children from having married parents.

1. Polygamists and wolves and single parents who have children

Do you think that polygamists and single parents are likely to eat children?

That is what wolves likely to do to children.

Your posts get more and more bizarre.

.2.What children are you speaking of Silhouette- what children do you think would be 'harmed by gay marriage' and how?... 3. Because gay parents have children with or without marriage- and preventing them from marriage only 'protects' their children from having married parents.
2. I'm speaking of all children who will be harmed into the unforeseeable future by institutionalizing a formative environment that lacks the gender of the child as a role model in 50% of all children involved in so-called "gay marriage".

Again who are these children you think will be harmed by gay marriage- and how?

Let me break it down for you again
  • Children of gay parents?
  • Children of straight parents?
  • Children of single parents?
Who will be harmed by gay marriage- and how?

1. Polygamists and wolves and single parents who have children

Do you think that polygamists and single parents are likely to eat children?

That is what wolves likely to do to children.

Your posts get more and more bizarre.

I believe polygamists may offer better childrearing capability, if any form of village can help raise the children.

Forum List

Back