Juan Williams Has His Say

And you have surveyed NPR's programming such that you feel comfy making this declaration?

I suspect you are talking out of your ass here.

WTF is "leftist" about "The Prairie Home Companion", etc.?

I don't waste my time picking apart the schedule of some sad assed radio organization. I don't listen to it, I don't watch Beck, I don't listen to Beck, I don't pay jack shit's worth of attention to pundits on any side.

NPR took $1.8m from Soros a week before they fired Williams. Williams said nothing offensive, inflammatory or bigoted. And, you know what..... when I travel in London during rush hour, I take cabs.
Actually, what he said was bigoted and in a way what you keep claiming, with no evidence whatsoever to back it up, is worse.

Nope, it was not. If you see the whole conversation, with the correct context, it was not bigoted. He said he acknowledged that it was not right, and irrational but it was an emotion - not an opinion - an emotion. You form opinions, you cannot control your emotions - that gut feeling you get.

I have friends in London, including Muslims who, even now, are concerned about traveling on the underground. They look suspiciously at other people because of 7/7. They aren't bigots, they're rational human beings who remember what happened.

I don't waste my time picking apart the schedule of some sad assed radio organization. I don't listen to it, I don't watch Beck, I don't listen to Beck, I don't pay jack shit's worth of attention to pundits on any side.

NPR took $1.8m from Soros a week before they fired Williams. Williams said nothing offensive, inflammatory or bigoted. And, you know what..... when I travel in London during rush hour, I take cabs.
Actually, what he said was bigoted and in a way what you keep claiming, with no evidence whatsoever to back it up, is worse.

Nope, it was not. If you see the whole conversation, with the correct context, it was not bigoted. He said he acknowledged that it was not right, and irrational but it was an emotion - not an opinion - an emotion. You form opinions, you cannot control your emotions - that gut feeling you get.

I have friends in London, including Muslims who, even now, are concerned about traveling on the underground. They look suspiciously at other people because of 7/7. They aren't bigots, they're rational human beings who remember what happened.

Do you happen to remember that warmed over pablum the progressives tried to spoon feed everyone? "If you live in fear the terrorists have won." That's just bullshit. Fear and adrenalin are healthy things. It's what keeps us alive.

The irony of Williams' bitching about racial bias at NPR whilst having been fired for hate speech against Muslims is un-fucking-believable.

LOL! Great point.

Juan Williams is a weenie. He needs to man up. Why do conservative respect such cowards? Hey Juan.

al-qaida-temp.jpg

BOO!

Did that scare you?

That's not trying to shutter them, that's saying we shouldn't use taxpayers money to support a partisan outlet. Fox don't get taxpayers money, nor do CNN, MSNBC or anyone else. Why should the taxpayers fund NPR? Their CEO said they don't need taxpayers money. Great. Pull it and let them fight for sponsorship like every other organization.

Yup.

Of course the problem here is that NPR and CPB get way more in federal funding than anyone inside those organizations publicly admit, which is why advocates talk about how insignificant the reliance on the government theirs is until someone suggests they compete in the marketplace like Fox.

This is a philosophical argument about the proper role of government in our society. Should we spend any public money on art? On music? On culture of any kind? Both NPR and CPB use most of their air time for quality programming, first for kids, then for adults, with zero current events coverage.

I say we continue to fund them.

It's more than a simple philosophical argument when a government entity doesn't adhere to government standards, and then has advocates that deny it is in fact a government entity.

Conspiracy theorize much? IMO, Rupert Murdoch stage managed another talking head into publicity -- why not condemn at least the devil we know to have been involved?

Murdoch simply exploited a situation that NPR created.

He didn't stage manage this one. He saw the opening and widened it is all.
Are you sure? Not only have I heard CG's conspiracy theory but I've also heard another...that Murdoch and Williams heard about the donation from George Soros and decided to force the issue by having Williams make a comment resulting in his termination to make NPR look bad...thereby renewing the "conservative" politicians call to end funding to their hated enemy...NPR. :eek:

I don't put much credence into conspiracy theories.

Do you happen to remember that warmed over pablum the progressives tried to spoon feed everyone? "If you live in fear the terrorists have won." That's just bullshit. Fear and adrenalin are healthy things. It's what keeps us alive.

Yup, it's official, the wacked out conservatives have totally given up on "the home of the brave". We better change the song to the "home of the chicken shit tea partiers".

LOL!!!!

I don't know anyone who 'lives in fear', I know people who remember what happened in 2005 and are cautious. They notice shit they didn't notice before - that's not 'fear', it's rational. And, they sure as hell report suspicious activity to the police.

My point.... I know lots of Muslims - both in the US and UK - who absolutely understand what Williams said. They agree with him! And here's the left, getting all offended on behalf of people who are NOT offended. It's the likes of CAIR who are 'offended', and they just didn't like Williams because he dared to appear on Fox News. He dared not to tow the party line. That's what this is about. It sure as hell is not about bigotry... at least, not from Williams.... maybe from the left.

No, I said that his feelings were a little bigoted. And he essentially admitted such during the conversation. However, he also went on to say that this is exactly why someone shouldn't go with bigoted feeling, because they are often irrational and wrong.

Context is king in this issue. And no one wants to pay attention to it.

In the issue of context, it is eerily similar to the Sherrod incident. Except that the context was right there in everyone's faces, but people are ignoring it for partisan gain.
Disagree. IMO, no matter what he subsequently said, Williams, in a position of authority, said that it is okay to be bigoted against someone because of the way they dress.

It's okay, it's understandable, and there is a logical explanation for why it is both okay and understandable.

Why do you lie so much?
:confused: What lie are you claiming I made?

Yup, it's official, the wacked out conservatives have totally given up on "the home of the brave". We better change the song to the "home of the chicken shit tea partiers".

LOL!!!!

Go ahead and laugh you racist pig. I don't give a shit.

Did you not say that what he said was a little bigoted? (Is that like a little pregnant?)

No, I said that his feelings were a little bigoted. And he essentially admitted such during the conversation. However, he also went on to say that this is exactly why someone shouldn't go with bigoted feeling, because they are often irrational and wrong.

In the issue of context, it is eerily similar to the Sherrod incident. Except that the context was right there in everyone's faces, but people are ignoring it for partisan gain.
Disagree. IMO, no matter what he subsequently said, Williams, in a position of authority, said that it is okay to be bigoted against someone because of the way they dress.

Actually, he said the exact opposite.

It's that context thing again.

Sad to see that nuance is lost on so many these days.

Quote the part where he acknowledged it wasn't right.

Include the source too.

Because that's not part of his quote.

:cuckoo: Bigotry is an emotion.

Here's a quick question for all of you, just to bring us to a discussion point:

When NPR fired Williams, did it violate Williams' First Amendment rights IYO or no?

I say "no".

In my opinion yes, but only because of the standards set by the Federal Government. If NPR was not an arm of the Federal Government, then no.

NPR is not obligated to give every taxpayer a platform.

Since they are not obligate to do that, then they are not obligated to give Williams a platform.

True. They are obligated to uniformly enforce government policy though. They didn't here.

:rolleyes: I'm bigoted but it is understandable...that is exactly what he said.

In my opinion yes, but only because of the standards set by the Federal Government. If NPR was not an arm of the Federal Government, then no.

Since they are not obligate to do that, then they are not obligated to give Williams a platform.

True. They are obligated to uniformly enforce government policy though. They didn't here.

Not even that. They are not a policy enforcement arm of the executive branch.

Nope.

You just trolling to troll at this point?

Did you not say that what he said was a little bigoted? (Is that like a little pregnant?)

It's okay, it's understandable, and there is a logical explanation for why it is both okay and understandable.

What "authority?"
:lol:

Not even that. They are not a policy enforcement arm of the executive branch.

They are a federal agency and as such are bound by federal policies.

What he said was, I'm not a bigot, but here's my bigoted view on Muslims.

"I mean look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country, but when I get on an airplane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they're identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

Forum List

Back