Jordan didntwin his first NBA titletill he was 29

I think Kareem was great but overrated. They say he was the best center and Laker ever. I disagree with both.

For Centers: I put Wilt, SHAQ, Hakeem, Russel and Robinson over him (and if you consider Duncan a center, him also)

For Lakers: I put Kobe, Magic, SHAQ and West ahead of him

Shit man, now you have gone too far. Wilt over Jabbar? Really? Shaq too? No way. Robinson over Jabbar....now that's just retarded. Duncan is the greatest power forward ever. Not a center.

What objective measure is there that Robinson, Hakeem, or Shaq are rated over Jabbar?

From what I watched. I measure it that way! :eusa_angel:

Shaq and Wilt were the most dominate big men of all time!

I said IF you consider Duncan a center? Duncan played PF his whole career, however, his game resembled that of a center.

(1) Michael Jordan - Played every aspect of the game to a godlike level. Was the best competitor of any sport ever!
(2) Magic - Could play all 5 position to superstar level.
(3) Kobe - The closet thing we will have to MJ ever.
(4) Shaq - The most dominate big man ever. Free throws were his downfall, but he was unstoppable.
(5) Duncan - So dominate and unstoppable, create competitor and great leader.
(6) Wilt - Second most dominate player ever. Yes he scored more than Shaq, but against littler player
(7) LBJ - Yes I hate the guy and for good reason. He hasn't one the big one yet, but he will have a few rings before all is said and done
(8) Bird - Larry Legend was amazing!
(9) Kareem - I back track alittle. Second thought he is ahead of West as a Laker, and Robinson and Russell as a center.
(10) The Big O - The man averaged a triple double, what else needs to be said!

What makes it the most demanding? I can only assume you mean mentally, since it isn't the most demanding physically.

:rofl:

Have you ever watched Ray Allen play?

Do you see any of those guys wearing pads?

So not wearing pads = more physically demanding? :cuckoo:

Sports like football, hockey or rugby require more strength. I think a sport like soccer requires more stamina (I hate soccer, but those fuckers sure do have to run around forever!). Hockey has just as many games, baseball has many more. Something like UFC, which requires strength, stamina, agility, and mental toughness, could easily be argued as more physically demanding than any of the major sports leagues. So what, exactly, makes basketball the most demanding league on earth?

Dude, I played 15 seasons of football. Saw many OL 6'3", 315 that could lift a VW bug.
Strength does not make an athlete.
What college football player can play in the NBA?
There are former college basketball players in the NFL that DID NOT play college football.
They are that good as athletes. They have to be.
Baseball?:cuckoo: UFC?:cuckoo: Man, you know nothing about athletes.
What UFC fighter played basketball anywhere?
Running 8 miles a game+ for 100 games in 7 months.
Soccer has to be in the top also but no where near as rough as basketball. Soccer athletes are better as a whole than football and I also do not like the game.
NBA is toughest league in all of sports. NBA is the HARDEST sport to make it in. HARDEST sport to play a full season in. Great players in college that do not even get drafted. Only 15 spots and most 2nd rounders do not make it. What other sport only has 2 rounds in the draft?

What makes it the most demanding? I can only assume you mean mentally, since it isn't the most demanding physically.

The NBA is physcially demanding plus the season is very long, it puts wear and tear on the body and the NBA players are pretty big and it gets physical, especially in the low post, imagine having to bang with Dwight Howard for an hour and a half, no thank you.

He and many like him in the NBA could play TE in the NFL.
Jimmy Johnson said years ago there was a shortage of quality TEs in the NFL because they were all playing in the NBA. And then we saw Gates taken by the Chargers.
All you see and FEEL when around Howard are head, elbows, fingernails, teeth and knees. He is like buying a tank and getting 40 miles to the gallon.

(1) Michael Jordan - Played every aspect of the game to a godlike level. Was the best competitor of any sport ever!
(4) Shaq - The most dominate big man ever. Free throws were his downfall, but he was unstoppable.
(6) Wilt - Second most dominate player ever. Yes he scored more than Shaq, but against littler player
(7) LBJ - Yes I hate the guy and for good reason. He hasn't one the big one yet, but he will have a few rings before all is said and done
(9) Kareem - I back track alittle. Second thought he is ahead of West as a Laker, and Robinson and Russell as a center.

Shaq's not in my top ten. To up and down for me, had the potential to be a top five guy, but did not want it (see MJ and Kobe).

1. MJ - Seriously who questions this? Besides people who don't know basketball and just like to be arguementative?

2. Russell - He didn't even make your lists? You forgot about Russell right? D-to the mutha fucking fense. Best player on teams that won 11 rings.

3. Kareem - This sucks, but the man could ball and that he did it well for so long. We covered his foibles. I might move him down later :)

4. Magic - Played against a virtual who's who in the Finals: Bird, Moses, Isiah, MJ...ten finals appearance over 13 years and 6 titles.

5. Bird - A game that was never about stats, but he could fill it up. One of only three playes to be in the top 50 all time leaders in the three major b-ball categories: 16th in PPG, 41st in APG, and 46th in RPG.

6. Wilt - His numbers are so obscene, that people just don't even think about them anymore. More dominant that Shaq...by a large margin.

7. Duncan - 4 titles, 2 MVP's, three finals MVP's and 9 1st team all NBA's. Underrated.

8. Oscar - Triple double for three years. One of the most complete players ever.

9. West - Obscene numbers, did whatever needed to win. Great defender and all around game. He's the logo.

10. Hakeem - Incredible athlete would have been at NBA start at any height 6' to 7'. Incredible numbers on a shitty team (worse than whay KG in MN was saddled with). Destroyed Robinson in one final and Shaq in another. Killed Kareem in the 86 playoffs. Watch his youtube videos. It's like a video game.

Last edited:
Elite level professional boxing has been described as running a marathon while having punches thrown at you.

Jordan didn't win his first NBA title till he was 29

No, the Bulls didn't win THEIR first NBA championship until Jordan was 29. It's a team sport.

Remember, the Bulls never won a title without Scotty Pippen.

Sports like football, hockey or rugby require more strength. I think a sport like soccer requires more stamina (I hate soccer, but those fuckers sure do have to run around forever!). Hockey has just as many games, baseball has many more. Something like UFC, which requires strength, stamina, agility, and mental toughness, could easily be argued as more physically demanding than any of the major sports leagues. So what, exactly, makes basketball the most demanding league on earth?

Dude, I played 15 seasons of football. Saw many OL 6'3", 315 that could lift a VW bug.
There are former college basketball players in the NFL that DID NOT play college football.
Soccer has to be in the top also but no where near as rough as basketball. Soccer athletes are better as a whole than football and I also do not like the game.
NBA is toughest league in all of sports. NBA is the HARDEST sport to make it in. HARDEST sport to play a full season in. Great players in college that do not even get drafted. Only 15 spots and most 2nd rounders do not make it. What other sport only has 2 rounds in the draft?

You need to get off the football kick. That was one of a number of sports I mentioned, and it was only for one attribute.

Why should I care if people in other sports played basketball? What effect does that have on this discussion? How many basketball players have played professional hockey? None? Well, hockey must be more demanding!

I only mentioned baseball in regards to the number of games played. I would never actually put it in a list of sports with the best athletes.

Are you trying to say UFC fighters aren't good athletes? Perhaps you are the :cuckoo: one. They need strength, speed, agility, and yes, even endurance. A championship fight can go for 25 minutes, and while that's not as long as most sports, it's a hell of a lot when you're getting hit. I imagine that's why the list someone else posted had boxing at the top, all those rounds of fighting.

I don't know why the NBA only has a 2 round draft. Are there a lot fewer players in the league than other sports?

I put the NHL above the NBA for hardest sport to play a full season in. Basically the same number of games and as far as I'm concerned easily the toughest playoffs of the major sports.

I'm not saying the NBA doesn't have good athletes in it. It certainly does.

You need to get off the football kick. That was one of a number of sports I mentioned, and it was only for one attribute.

Why should I care if people in other sports played basketball? What effect does that have on this discussion? How many basketball players have played professional hockey? None? Well, hockey must be more demanding!

I only mentioned baseball in regards to the number of games played. I would never actually put it in a list of sports with the best athletes.

Are you trying to say UFC fighters aren't good athletes? Perhaps you are the :cuckoo: one. They need strength, speed, agility, and yes, even endurance. A championship fight can go for 25 minutes, and while that's not as long as most sports, it's a hell of a lot when you're getting hit. I imagine that's why the list someone else posted had boxing at the top, all those rounds of fighting.

I don't know why the NBA only has a 2 round draft. Are there a lot fewer players in the league than other sports?

I put the NHL above the NBA for hardest sport to play a full season in. Basically the same number of games and as far as I'm concerned easily the toughest playoffs of the major sports.

I'm not saying the NBA doesn't have good athletes in it. It certainly does.

Good post. I respect your opinion. Well said and backed up.
Different perspectives is what you pointed out and that is true. I come from the football world and seeing Antonio Gates and others that never played college football be stars ibn the NFL, to me that is a big reason why I consider them better athletes.
Also, at DE where they stuck my big country ass for most of my playing years since age 6, I had to take on so many TEs that were quicker than me it biased my opinion. And usually it was with an OL or fullback as a double team!
I love hockey and we just lost our team.But with the line changes it is no where near the running that NBA players do.
Good discussion. You make valid points.

Lebron does not deserve to be on this list, if he was really a top 10 player in NBA history he would have destroyed Jason Kidd and Jason Terry and Miami would have another championship by now, a top 10 player doesn't get shut down in the fourth quarter by a 39 year old Jason Kidd and Jason Terry.

What sport is more demanding physically than pro basketball?
It isn't football or hockey. I played football and basketball and basketball took more of a toll than football and I played twice as many seasons in football.
What other sport do they play the schedule they do and run over 8 miles a game?
Ask any pro trainer what is the most grueling on the body sport there is.
Pro basketball. Toughest league in the world.

I think the length of the season also makes a difference, if you think about it training camp starts in September and can go all the way to May-June if you make it to the playoffs, very demanding and physcially exhausting schedule, you play 82 regular season games not even counting the playoffs and pre-season.

I'm not trying to diminish how physically demanding a NBA season is-but I think the NHL is worse. You play the same amount of regular season games-and same amount of playoff games. The NHL also has more traveling-especially for the Western Conference. The season itself is longer than the NBA. Actual season starts first week of October (training camps obviously before that), and ends in June.

As far game by game goes-demanding depends on position. A top pairing defensemen in the NHL in my opinion is much more demanding than any position in the NBA is.

Anyways enough of my rant. Michael Jordan would wipe the floor with Lebron, and would absolutely dominate today's NBA. I think people who don't say that-just never really saw the guy play.

It isn't football or hockey. I played football and basketball and basketball took more of a toll than football and I played twice as many seasons in football.

I think the length of the season also makes a difference, if you think about it training camp starts in September and can go all the way to May-June if you make it to the playoffs, very demanding and physcially exhausting schedule, you play 82 regular season games not even counting the playoffs and pre-season.

I'm not trying to diminish how physically demanding a NBA season is-but I think the NHL is worse. You play the same amount of regular season games-and same amount of playoff games. The NHL also has more traveling-especially for the Western Conference. The season itself is longer than the NBA. Actual season starts first week of October (training camps obviously before that), and ends in June.

As far game by game goes-demanding depends on position. A top pairing defensemen in the NHL in my opinion is much more demanding than any position in the NBA is.

Anyways enough of my rant. Michael Jordan would wipe the floor with Lebron, and would absolutely dominate today's NBA. I think people who don't say that-just never really saw the guy play.

Oh I'll take your word for it my knowledge on hockey is limited, I didn't know they played as many games as the NBA. I agree Jordan would own Lebron, and I also think Larry Bird and Magic Johnson would dominate the NBA today as well if they were still playing in their primes, I can't even name 1 player who could cover Magic or Larry singlehandedly.

Last edited:

Oh I'll take your word for it my knowledge on hockey is limited, I didn't know they played as many games as the NBA. I agree Jordan would own Lebron, and I also think Larry Bird and Magic Johnson would dominate the NBA today as well if they were still playing in their primes, I can't even name 1 player who could cover Magic or Larry singlehandedly.

Lebron would be an afterthought if those three guys were in the league right now.

Lebron would be an afterthought if those three guys were in the league right now.

Shit if Lebron played in the 90s he would just be another all star lost in the mix, Lebron reminds me of another Dominique Wilkins, alot of flash and talent but no killer instinct to win a title.

Very well said, and I agree!
:clap2:

Bill Russell
11 NBA championships in 13 years
5 time MVP
12 time all star
2 NCAA Championships

Michael Jordan and Bill Russell had one thing in common, teammates. Without quality teammates neither one would have won anything. They were great players but basketball is a team game and you have to have great players teamed up with a quality team and they must be able to work together. Bill Russell could have scored many more points but he was not a selfish player and concentrating on rebounding and swatting the rock away. Micheal had Scotty Pippen, a player that took a lot of heat away from Mike. Over rated? No. He was a great player just like many others who never had the team mates to help and keep teams from smothering them.

Bill Russell
5 time MVP
12 time all star
2 NCAA Championships

Michael Jordan and Bill Russell had one thing in common, teammates. Without quality teammates neither one would have won anything. They were great players but basketball is a team game and you have to have great players teamed up with a quality team and they must be able to work together. Bill Russell could have scored many more points but he was not a selfish player and concentrating on rebounding and swatting the rock away. Micheal had Scotty Pippen, a player that took a lot of heat away from Mike. Over rated? No. He was a great player just like many others who never had the team mates to help and keep teams from smothering them.

I agree with that to an extent but than again you can have great team mates and still fail, just this past year Lebron had 2 other all stars on his squad Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh and he came up short against Dallas. Hell the Lakers in 2004 had 4 hall of famers Gary Payton, Karl Malone, Shaq and Kobe and laid an egg against Detroit.

Bill Russell
5 time MVP
12 time all star
2 NCAA Championships

I agree with that to an extent but than again you can have great team mates and still fail, just this past year Lebron had 2 other all stars on his squad Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh and he came up short against Dallas. Hell the Lakers in 2004 had 4 hall of famers Gary Payton, Karl Malone, Shaq and Kobe and laid an egg against Detroit.

They must be able to play as a team, not as individuals, plus as any of you know that have played the game, sometimes the rock just won't fit in the hole and the other can't miss a shot!!!

Bill Russell
5 time MVP
12 time all star
2 NCAA Championships

They must be able to play as a team, not as individuals, plus as any of you know that have played the game, sometimes the rock just won't fit in the hole and the other can't miss a shot!!!

Yeah you right about that.

Hey ginscpy, blow it our your ass bub.

TOP TEN BIGGEST ATHLETES OF THE 20th CENTURY

1. MICHAEL JORDAN

2. Babe Ruth

3. Muhammed Ali

4. Jim Brown

5. Wayne Gretzky

6, Jesse Owens

7. Jim Thorpe

8. Willie Mays

9. Jack Nicklaus

10. Babe Didrikson

Source: (there's a website link that's supposed to go here, but not sure if it's allowed to be posted, but if anyone wants it, hey, PM me, I'll give it to ya)
According to ESPN.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back