John Kelly and the Language of the Military Coup

Consider this nightmare scenario: a military coup. You don’t have to strain your imagination—all you have to do is watch Thursday’s White House press briefing, in which the chief of staff, John Kelly, defended President Trump’s phone call to a military widow, Myeshia Johnson. The press briefing could serve as a preview of what a military coup in this country would look like, for it was in the logic of such a coup that Kelly advanced his four arguments.

Argument 1. Those who criticize the President don’t know what they’re talking about because they haven’t served in the military.

2. The President did the right thing because he did exactly what his general told him to do.

3. Communication between the President and a military widow is no one’s business but theirs.

4. Citizens are ranked based on their proximity to dying for their country. Kelly’s last argument was his most striking. At the end of the briefing, he said that he would take questions only from those members of the press who had a personal connection to a fallen soldier, followed by those who knew a Gold Star family. Considering that, a few minutes earlier, Kelly had said most Americans didn’t even know anyone who knew anyone who belonged to the “one per cent,” he was now explicitly denying a majority of Americans—or the journalists representing them—the right to ask questions. This was a new twist on the Trump Administration’s technique of shunning and shaming unfriendly members of the news media, except this time, it was framed explicitly in terms of national loyalty. As if on cue, the first reporter allowed to speak inserted the phrase “Semper Fi”—a literal loyalty oath—into his question.

Before walking off the stage, Kelly told Americans who haven’t served in the military that he pities them. “We don’t look down upon those of you who haven’t served,” he said. “In fact, in a way we are a little bit sorry because you’ll have never have experienced the wonderful joy you get in your heart when you do the kinds of things our servicemen and women do—not for any other reason than that they love this country.”

Kelly stood up there and pretty much tried to lecture everyone else on what it means to serve and that he and others that serve feel sorry for the rest of us. And that anyone who dares question anything they do is in effect a shitty person because, as mentioned, he served in the military so he's beyond question.
He didn't mean to criticize you. Why are you taking it so personally?
This doesn't have anything to do with a coup, I think.

Of course it doesnt have anything to do with a coup. Thats the very first line in the article "The press briefing could serve as a preview of what a military coup in this country would look like". The key word here is could.

Come on asshole. The Kennedy assassination happened too.

And Bears shit in the woods but that nor none of the things we are discussing are conspiracies either
Sure. General Kelley is planning a military coup. Couldn't be clearer.

Seriously, even acute butthurt doesn't account for this.

Oh I get it now! You didnt read it so you think someone is suggesting Kelly is staging a Coup LMAO! Here is why you're funny, you think this belongs in conspiracy because you think someone said something no one has ever said.

Youre entire outrage is based on your ignorance and you want someone to play in the mud with you? Sorry buddy, but just because you came into a thread not knowing what the fuck anyone is talking about doesnt mean you deserve to be engaged.

Go read and then come back with a different opinion of what someone actually says, not what you made up
I know you to be a snowflake of very modest intellect:

Consider this nightmare scenario: a military coup. You don’t have to strain your imagination—all you have to do is watch Thursday’s White House press briefing, in which the chief of staff, John Kelly, defended President Trump’s phone call to a military widow, Myeshia Johnson. The press briefing could serve as a preview of what a military coup in this country would look like, for it was in the logic of such a coup that Kelly advanced his four arguments...

Does the word "implicit" mean anything to you? I repeat myself, even acute butthurt does not account for this shit.

Why are you reposting what I pasted then asking about the definition of the word implicit?

Are we talking about you believing someone was saying Kelly was staging a Coup? Or have you given that bullshit up to ask if I know the definitions of words and conceding the point that you dont know wtf you're talking about?
Christ. I can't help you. This level of ignorance or stupidity cannot be justified by acute butthurt alone. Sorry.

And Bears shit in the woods but that nor none of the things we are discussing are conspiracies either
Sure. General Kelley is planning a military coup. Couldn't be clearer.

Seriously, even acute butthurt doesn't account for this.

Oh I get it now! You didnt read it so you think someone is suggesting Kelly is staging a Coup LMAO! Here is why you're funny, you think this belongs in conspiracy because you think someone said something no one has ever said.

Youre entire outrage is based on your ignorance and you want someone to play in the mud with you? Sorry buddy, but just because you came into a thread not knowing what the fuck anyone is talking about doesnt mean you deserve to be engaged.

Go read and then come back with a different opinion of what someone actually says, not what you made up
I know you to be a snowflake of very modest intellect:

Consider this nightmare scenario: a military coup. You don’t have to strain your imagination—all you have to do is watch Thursday’s White House press briefing, in which the chief of staff, John Kelly, defended President Trump’s phone call to a military widow, Myeshia Johnson. The press briefing could serve as a preview of what a military coup in this country would look like, for it was in the logic of such a coup that Kelly advanced his four arguments...

Does the word "implicit" mean anything to you? I repeat myself, even acute butthurt does not account for this shit.

Why are you reposting what I pasted then asking about the definition of the word implicit?

Are we talking about you believing someone was saying Kelly was staging a Coup? Or have you given that bullshit up to ask if I know the definitions of words and conceding the point that you dont know wtf you're talking about?
Christ. I can't help you. This level of ignorance or stupidity cannot be justified by acute butthurt alone. Sorry.

Well, thats because you believe someone said someone was committing a coup. No one did. I cant explain the things you imagine

Kelly stood up there and pretty much tried to lecture everyone else on what it means to serve and that he and others that serve feel sorry for the rest of us. And that anyone who dares question anything they do is in effect a shitty person because, as mentioned, he served in the military so he's beyond question.

One's having served in the military hardly puts one above reproach. In American history, the verity of that being so dates at least to Benedict Arnold. Arnold is not alone:
Benedict Arnold was overlooked by a congress, in favor of local pork, for several commendations and promotions. What happened then happens now.
Irrelevant. The point to which you responded, the net essence of Kelly's argument/justification, is that having served in the military puts one above reproach. As I have shown, having served in the military does not at all do so. Why one commits whatever wrongful or criminal acts one does -- be one in the military or not -- has nothing to do with whether the acts and actor are or are not above reproach.

Yes, it is relevant no matter how much you wish it weren't so.

Not at all irrelevant. I was responding to CC.

No, it actually is irrelevant

Lol. So you can't respond. I was hoping but I guess not....
I suspect you're trying to elicit a response on Obama because you don't have something of merit to say about the actual thread topic which is how Kelly has framed some of Trump's remarks.

Kelly's remarks don't matter as most posts go off on several tangents. I'm just trying to get past the superficial stuff. Evidently, CC couldnt get past that. Thats too bad. I lost a lot of respect for CC today and will not respond anymore.
Kelly's remarks don't matter as most posts go off on several tangents.

Excuse me? Tangential is, in a discussion about John Kelly's remarks in a press briefing about Trump's remarks and actions, bringing up what Obama did. Hell, that's not really even tangential because with tangential comments there is at least some point at which there is a substantive intersection of the points brought into the discussion. For this discussion topic, there is no point of intersection between anything Obama did and John Kelly's defense of President Trump’s remarks during a phone call to a military widow, Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Sgt. La David T. Johnson who was killed in 2017 while actively serving in Niger. It is for that reason whatever Obama did or didn't do related to Wall St. is irrelevant.

Yes, there is since O never called Kelly. Keep trying.

One's having served in the military hardly puts one above reproach. In American history, the verity of that being so dates at least to Benedict Arnold. Arnold is not alone:
Benedict Arnold was overlooked by a congress, in favor of local pork, for several commendations and promotions. What happened then happens now.
Irrelevant. The point to which you responded, the net essence of Kelly's argument/justification, is that having served in the military puts one above reproach. As I have shown, having served in the military does not at all do so. Why one commits whatever wrongful or criminal acts one does -- be one in the military or not -- has nothing to do with whether the acts and actor are or are not above reproach.

Reply "is too" doesn't work. Sorry.

Well, if you think so, show how so.

I have already explained how it is not relevant, so I'm not the one guilty of argument by assertion, which is the limit of your argument at this point in the discussion.

No, it actually is irrelevant

Lol. So you can't respond. I was hoping but I guess not....
I suspect you're trying to elicit a response on Obama because you don't have something of merit to say about the actual thread topic which is how Kelly has framed some of Trump's remarks.

Kelly's remarks don't matter as most posts go off on several tangents. I'm just trying to get past the superficial stuff. Evidently, CC couldnt get past that. Thats too bad. I lost a lot of respect for CC today and will not respond anymore.
Kelly's remarks don't matter as most posts go off on several tangents.

Excuse me? Tangential is, in a discussion about John Kelly's remarks in a press briefing about Trump's remarks and actions, bringing up what Obama did. Hell, that's not really even tangential because with tangential comments there is at least some point at which there is a substantive intersection of the points brought into the discussion. For this discussion topic, there is no point of intersection between anything Obama did and John Kelly's defense of President Trump’s remarks during a phone call to a military widow, Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Sgt. La David T. Johnson who was killed in 2017 while actively serving in Niger. It is for that reason whatever Obama did or didn't do related to Wall St. is irrelevant.

Yes, there is since O never called Kelly. Keep trying.

Excuse me? The remark with which you interjected Obama had nothing to do with a condolence call to Kelly or anyone else.
O was busy bailing out wall street to the tune of 80b a month. Wouldnt you rather O had given that to the military personnel....as in the form of raises....not govt contracts? I would have. Instead, he gave over 4 trillion to ws.

Reply "is too" doesn't work. Sorry.
No, it does not. That tactic is called "argument by assertion" or "argument by repetition."

Consider this nightmare scenario: a military coup. You don’t have to strain your imagination—all you have to do is watch Thursday’s White House press briefing, in which the chief of staff, John Kelly, defended President Trump’s phone call to a military widow, Myeshia Johnson. The press briefing could serve as a preview of what a military coup in this country would look like, for it was in the logic of such a coup that Kelly advanced his four arguments.

Argument 1. Those who criticize the President don’t know what they’re talking about because they haven’t served in the military.

2. The President did the right thing because he did exactly what his general told him to do.

3. Communication between the President and a military widow is no one’s business but theirs.

4. Citizens are ranked based on their proximity to dying for their country. Kelly’s last argument was his most striking. At the end of the briefing, he said that he would take questions only from those members of the press who had a personal connection to a fallen soldier, followed by those who knew a Gold Star family. Considering that, a few minutes earlier, Kelly had said most Americans didn’t even know anyone who knew anyone who belonged to the “one per cent,” he was now explicitly denying a majority of Americans—or the journalists representing them—the right to ask questions. This was a new twist on the Trump Administration’s technique of shunning and shaming unfriendly members of the news media, except this time, it was framed explicitly in terms of national loyalty. As if on cue, the first reporter allowed to speak inserted the phrase “Semper Fi”—a literal loyalty oath—into his question.

Before walking off the stage, Kelly told Americans who haven’t served in the military that he pities them. “We don’t look down upon those of you who haven’t served,” he said. “In fact, in a way we are a little bit sorry because you’ll have never have experienced the wonderful joy you get in your heart when you do the kinds of things our servicemen and women do—not for any other reason than that they love this country.”

you’ll have never have experienced the wonderful joy you get in your heart when you do the kinds of things our servicemen and women do—not for any other reason than that they love this country.

Few and far between are the individuals of whom I'm aware and who also entered military service "for any other reason than that they love this country." Most folks I know did it for one or several of the benefits military service offers -- the non-pay benefits, or the simple assurance of having a job, or some other non-patriotic reason.

"For any other reason than that they love this country" may explain why some individuals stay in the military and make a career out of it, and it's probably the reason some people enter it to begin with, but I think those folks are more the exception than the rule. But then, relative to the total quantity of people in the military, I know only a small quantity of them, and John Kelly without question knows far more of them than I. Be that as it is, it strains credulity to think pure patriotism and/or a sense of duty to country is ever the sole reason, as Kelly stated, though it may often be a reason.

Don't leftwingers believe all corporate executives are conservatives?

Ok, this coming from a Trump critic (some call me a

Ok, this coming from a Trump critic (some call me a hater even) but this was the dumbest thing I have read on this forum in a while.

The part the made me laugh the most was the quip about Semper Fi. Talk about someone being clueless!

Well, let me take time to consider your well researched retort. "Someone being clueless" of what? Who knows?

Dumbest things I have read - How? Who knows?

The one thing I did learn was that you laughed, so thats something

Well for starters, Semper Fi is not a 'literal loyalty oath" it is a motto and a greeting from one Marine to another. For the author of the article to call it a loyalty oath shows a complete and total lack of understanding of the term or what it means to be a Marine. And it also basically invalidates everything else he said.

I have no problem at all with a general advising a clueless civilian on the proper way to console the widow of a fallen soldier. None at all.

That is not even in the same fucking UNIVERSE as a military coup, retard.

Kelly is aware Trump has never served, right? :lol:

I have no problem at all with a general advising a clueless civilian on the proper way to console the widow of a fallen soldier. None at all.

I have no problem at all with a general advising a clueless civilian on the proper way to console the widow of a fallen soldier.

Kelly's offer of guidance in that regard is not at all what's problematic or dismaying about the matter or the actors involved in it.

I have no problem at all with a general advising a clueless civilian on the proper way to console the widow of a fallen soldier.

Kelly's offer of guidance in that regard is not at all what's problematic or dismaying about the matter or the actors involved in it.
I think Kelly told Trump exactly what Kelly said he advised. But then Trump, being an idiot who can't hold a thought longer than a bumper sticker, bungled the delivery.

The widow is pregnant and grieving, and thus in a highly emotional state. Trump is the last person on the planet who knows how to deliver a consoling message with gravitas or sincerity.

Any future calls of this nature he makes should be with Kelly conferenced in and doing most of the talking.

Fuck Kelly & Trump. Cab drivers are at closer proximity to dying for their country than they ever were! I saw Uber drivers in Vegas under heavy gunfire taking wounded to hospital as Police & Military hid behind walls & failed to stop the shooting.

Ok, this coming from a Trump critic (some call me a

Ok, this coming from a Trump critic (some call me a hater even) but this was the dumbest thing I have read on this forum in a while.

The part the made me laugh the most was the quip about Semper Fi. Talk about someone being clueless!

Well, let me take time to consider your well researched retort. "Someone being clueless" of what? Who knows?

Dumbest things I have read - How? Who knows?

The one thing I did learn was that you laughed, so thats something

Well for starters, Semper Fi is not a 'literal loyalty oath" it is a motto and a greeting from one Marine to another. For the author of the article to call it a loyalty oath shows a complete and total lack of understanding of the term or what it means to be a Marine. And it also basically invalidates everything else he said.
For the author of the article to call it a loyalty oath shows a complete and total lack of understanding of the term or what it means to be a Marine.

Be that as it may, even if the distinction boils down substantively to equivocation, the matter being identified isn't that of what one does or doesn't understand about being a Marine or the Marine organization itself. The problem is that Trump is incapable of expressing sympathy to a bereaved widow who lost her husband in service of the U.S. Kelly offered some guidance to Trump, and Trump, nitwit that he is, could do more with it than attempt to apply it literally...as if the same exact words a general would utter in a sympathetic expression will carry the same context and meaning when Trump -- a man having nowhere near (1) the contextual and empathetic founding of a general who's served in active combat, (2) the exhibited integrity and character of any senior military officer, and (3) any sort of reputation as anything other than as a self-centered SOB -- utters them.

Trump's indifference, if not disdain, for blacks was surely not unknown to Sgt. Johnson's widow, and yet he offered a supposedly consoling remark that amounted to "well, he knew what he was getting into." Many people could have said those very same words to that woman and they would not have been construed as insouciant as they were when Trump uttered them. Why? Because one can, for most people give them the benefit of the doubt regarding their capacity to care about the wellbeing of others. Trump, in contrast, talks about having such concerns, but his actions give the lie to them. As a result, he needed to choose words that are vastly more effusive and that specifically express heartfelt dismay for the misfortune that befell Sgt. Johnson and his family.

Another problem is that Trump doesn't have the presence of mind to understand that about the persona he's crafted for himself. He may or may not like that that is the persona he's formed. He may not even have willfully intended to craft it so. That said, were he possessed of any intellectual acuity of note, to say nothing of emotional sensitivity, he'd at least acknowledge that he has and deliver his ostensibly consoling remarks such that they stand in direct and uncommon contrast to what one typically hears from him. Hell, he could have simply read Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt, even the New York Times or any of myriad other sources that are readily available on the Internet.
Hell, he's the POTUS, he could have called Hallmark. The ideas one would express in writing are exactly the same ones, when one did not personally know the deceased, to which one should stick when speaking in person. It's just not that hard, unless, of course, one truly just doesn't give a damn.

I think Kelly told Trump exactly what Kelly said he advised. But then Trump, being an idiot who can't hold a thought longer than a bumper sticker, bungled the delivery.

The widow is pregnant and grieving, and thus in a highly emotional state. Trump is the last person on the planet who knows how to deliver a consoling message with gravitas or sincerity.

Any future calls of this nature he makes should be with Kelly conferenced in and doing most of the talking.

Yep. I think roughly that.

so you think active duty Vets will over throw the government b/c someone said some things.

We didn't murder the Clintons when they started fucking us all over, so words won't have the impact you fucking leftist shits think it will

so you think active duty Vets will over throw the government b/c someone said some things.

We didn't murder the Clintons when they started fucking us all over, so words won't have the impact you fucking leftist shits think it will

No I dont, that's why no where in my post, the article or in my brain did I say this was a coup at all in any way. The article starts off by saying this is what a coup COULD LOOK like. Hell, the article even says the language of a coup, not an actual coup.

Forum List

Back