Joe the Plumber - The Truth and nothing but it

You forgot to include the most important part of the article in your quotes.

At some point in your life you may find that there's a tax lein against you that you didn't know about. I know because it happened to me. When you find out about it, what you do is: You go to the tax collectors office, pay the tax due and follow-up to make sure the lein has been removed.

You'll learn these things when you grow up.

DITTO--It happened to me one time too. I received this $5400.00 tax lien notice from the IRS on a tax return of two years prior. I had to take down my cancelled check & show it to them. Boy was I ticked off. The IRS never even said they were "sorry". They acted like it was an everyday thing that happened.

Joe the Plummer owing $1200 from Jan. 2007 is absolutely nothing. It could be an amount that is currently being debated between Joe's tax accountant & the IRS. In fact, it's so recent, it could even be an amount that the IRS has not even informed or questioned him about. The IRS has 3 years to do so.

However, I cannot believe the media monsters that went after Joe the Plummer like this. He "may" owe the IRS a meezly $1200 & all of a sudden he is a criminal--someone who is not to be taken seriously. Or Joe the Plummer, like me, may have a cancelled check showing he actually paid the $1200?

I guess, the media in this country just told the average everyday Joe's in this country, never to ask Barack Obama a hard question again.

Last edited:
there aren't very many blue-collar workers left.

Yep--we blue collar workers are under appreciated in this country.

Electricity is out--computer, hair-dryer, lights, outlets, T.V, Video, Water, heat, air-conditioning, range won't work, in fact nothing works.

Plumbing is out-NO WATER--no water to take shower/bath, wash dishes, run washing machine, flush toilet or brush teeth.

In fact, the only time we're more popular than Barack Obama is when the above are not working.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone notices the irony that because of McCain that Joe the Plumber may not be able to be a Plumber anymore?

Since you know, where he works you need to be a licensed Plumber and he isn't. :eusa_whistle:

I wonder if anyone notices the irony that because of McCain that Joe the Plumber may not be able to be a Plumber anymore?

Since you know, where he works you need to be a licensed Plumber and he isn't. :eusa_whistle:
actually, i do believe you are incorrect
they only license the contractors

Joe is an apprentice plumber. Why is it you guys don't get it. He has filed to take his master plumbing examination. Look up Ohio--state board of plumbing & you will see that Joe had to do several years as an apprentice--meaning working for a "licensed" plumbing contracting company. This particular company Joe plans to buy. After so many supervised (working on the job) years he is eligible to take his masters plumbing examination. Once he passes this, he is more than eligible to be master plumber of his own company.

You didn't really think that electricians & plumbers go to universities to get their electrical & plumbing licenses, did you?

Last edited:
Joe is an apprentice plumber. Why is it you guys don't get it. He has filed to take his master plumbing examination. Look up Ohio--state board of plumbing & you will see that Joe had to do several years as an apprentice--meaning working for a plumbing company. This particular company he plans to buy. After so many supervised (working on the job) years he is eligible to take his masters plumbing examination.

You didn't really think that electricians & plumbers go to universities to get their electrical & plumbing licenses, did you?
some do
but more to trade schools

some do

Exactly, but I guess Oreo failed to see the irony in my comment.

Those blinders can do that sometimes. He's not actually considered a licensed Plumber, so McCain could actually cost him his living.

some do

NO,NO,NO--I am a licensed electrical contractor in the State of Colorado. I have been in my own business for the last 30 years. The only trade school that I have ever seen is a 3 month course--that basically scrapes the surface of what an electrical apprentice is. It's always on the job training. There are no 4 year college or university courses that trains electricians & plumbers.

For example: Wireman license--2 years documented residential on the job training. Journeyman's license-- 2 years documented residential & 2 years commercial on the job training. Masters license-- after passing the Journeyman's license another year to be spent in job foreman supervision experience & documented by the licensed electrical contractor.

Plumbing licenses are exactly the same format.

Those blinders can do that sometimes. He's not actually considered a licensed Plumber, so McCain could actually cost him his living.

Joe the plumber is working for a licensed plumbing contractor. He is not in his own business, he is studying to take his masters license. He is doing absolutely nothing wrong.

It's you that does not have an understanding of how plumbers & for that matter electricians are licensed & what state government regulations are regarding the licensing of plumbers & electricians.

Last edited:
NO,NO,NO--I am a licensed electrical contractor in the State of Colorado. I have been in my own business for the last 30 years. The only trade school that I have ever seen is a 3 month course--that basically scrapes the surface of what an electrical apprentice is. It's always on the job training. There are no 4 year college or university courses that trains electricians & plumbers.

For example: Wireman license--2 years documented residential on the job training. Journeyman's license-- 2 years documented residential & 2 years commercial on the job training. Masters license-- after passing the Journeyman's license another year to be spent in job foreman supervision experience & documented by the licensed electrical contractor.

thats why i said "some do"
not all

ROFLMAO
you are one to be talking about blinders

And here I come along to basically state the facts again.

The Associated Press: 'Joe the Plumber' says he has no plumbing license

HOLLAND, Ohio (AP) — Joe the Plumber said Thursday he doesn't have a license and doesn't need one. Joe Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe the Plumber, the nickname Republican John McCain bestowed on him during Wednesday's presidential debate, said he works for a small plumbing company that does residential work. Because he works for someone else, he doesn't need a license, he said.

But the county Wurzelbacher and his employer live in, Lucas County, requires plumbers to have licenses. Neither Wurzelbacher nor his employer are licensed there, said Cheryl Schimming of Lucas County Building Regulations, which handles plumber licenses in parts of the county outside Toledo

Wurzelbacher, who voted in the Republican primary and indicated he backed McCain

Wurzelbacher said he was surprised that his name was mentioned so many other times.

"That bothered me. I wished that they had talked more about issues that are important to Americans," he told reporters gathered outside his home.

Wurzelbacher said Obama's tax plan wouldn't affect him right now, because he doesn't make $250,000. "But I hope someday I'll make that," he said.

thats why i said "some do"
not all

O.K>--NO ONE can get an electrical or plumbing license out of a technical trades school. You may be fooled into some advertisement on T.V. that says you can--but each & every state has a little article in there that says, YOU actually have to work in that state, have your on the job experience documented by a licensed plumbing or electrical contractor, before you're ever eligible to obtain even permission to take an examination.

In very simple terms. If you plan on pursuing a career in a licensed trade occupation, make certain you find employment (first) with a licensed electrical or plumbing contractor. Your work is your school.

Last edited:
Oreo, the post by Modbert seems to indicate you may have been mistaken. Perhaps it is unusual in that it is the county requiring the license, but man up if you were wrong.

HOLLAND, Ohio (AP) — Joe the Plumber said Thursday he doesn't have a license and doesn't need one. Joe Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe the Plumber, the nickname Republican John McCain bestowed on him during Wednesday's presidential debate, said he works for a small plumbing company that does residential work. Because he works for someone else, he doesn't need a license, he said.

But the county Wurzelbacher and his employer live in, Lucas County, requires plumbers to have licenses. Neither Wurzelbacher nor his employer are licensed there, said Cheryl Schimming of Lucas County Building Regulations, which handles plumber licenses in parts of the county outside Toledo

My Comment: Joe the plumber does not need a plumbing license if he is working for a licensed plumbing contractor, & is actually working with another licensed plumber--who would be his supervisor on the job. So Joe is correct in his statement, as Joe is an apprentice plumber:

My Comment on the Lucas county statement: Of course, the county requires that plumbers be licensed. All counties do. If Joe were working by himself, without supervision from another licensed plumber, he would be required to have his own license. As stated Joe is studying to take his plumbing license examination now. Joe has reached the end of his apprenticeship & is now eligible to take the plumbing examination. Once he passes the examination he will be issued a license.

NOTE: I as an electrical contractor do not register in all counties within my state. I do not register in counties we do not typically work in.

Therefore, the statement from Lucas county that they are not licensed in that county is totally irrevelant. There may be no work in Lucas county, & this company works in other counties. Joe may drive into the next county to go to work. In the counties they work in, they would have to have a plumbing contractors license & be registered within that county.

Last edited:
Oreo, the post by Modbert seems to indicate you may have been mistaken. Perhaps it is unusual in that it is the county requiring the license, but man up if you were wrong.

Well that would requiring admitting one was wrong, Republicans for the most part don't like to do that.

If Oreo does, I'll give Oreo credit for saying as such.

However, I think that's why this thread stopped getting responses. :lol:

My Comment: Joe the plumber does not need a plumbing license if he is working for a licensed plumbing contractor, & is actually working with another licensed plumber--who would be his supervisor on the job. So Joe is correct in his statement, as Joe is an apprentice plumber:

My Comment on the Lucas county statement: Of course, the county requires that plumbers be licensed. All counties do. If Joe were working by himself, without supervision from another licensed plumber, he would be required to have his own license. As stated Joe is studying to take his plumbing license examination now. Joe has reached the end of his apprenticeship & is now eligible to take the plumbing examination. Once he passes the examination he will be issued a license.

My own post pointed that out about your own comment. His employer is not licensed, and by law they are suppose to be.

So therefore, your statement would be wrong until Joe works with an actual licensed Plumber business. The law also states PLUMBERS have to be licensed.

If this is true about what you say Joe is a apprentice Plumber and is going to take the exam, then he needs to do that. Until then, he is not a licensed plumber and therefore he can not work for a living as a plumber legally where he works now.

Simple concept no?

Well that would requiring admitting one was wrong, Republicans for the most part don't like to do that.

If Oreo does, I'll give Oreo credit for saying as such.

However, I think that's why this thread stopped getting responses. :lol:

I am a licensed electrical contractor in the State of Colorado. This license permits me to work anywhere in the State of Colorado.

Now, lets say I go into Chaffee county. I am not "registered" in Chaffee county, CO. I will not register in Chaffee UNLESS I plan on working in Chaffee county, CO. There's no point. So if you called Chaffee county & asked them if I was a licensed electrical contractor (in Chaffee county, they would say no.)

The building department in Lucas--stated that the plumbing contractor was not licensed in "their county". Does Joe drive across the county line to go to work? If so, this easily explains the response from the "local building department" in Lucas county.

BTW--it's no big deal to register with each county--again plumbing & electrical licenses are given by the state.

Forum List

Back