Jobs waiting for workers!!!

People on UE have to look for workand prove it. Too bad there are very few jobs.

Pubs have obstructed all kinds of training and education bills, to save the rich.

Skills gap hobbles US employers

The president of Marlin Steel Wire Products, a company in Baltimore with 30 employees, Mr Greenblatt says his inability to find qualified workers is hampering his business’s growth. “If I could fill those positions, I could raise our annual revenues from $5m to $7m,” he says.

He is offering a salary of more than $80,000 with overtime, including health and pension benefits. Yet in spite of extensive advertising, he has had no qualified applicants. He is trying to train some of his unskilled staff but says none has the ability or drive to complete the training.

The idea there is something structurally wrong with the US workforce is controversial among economists but has a certain resonance with the public. Since the emergence of Japan as a technology and manufacturing powerhouse in the 1970s, Americans have been anxious that they were losing their competitive edge to better-educated, harder-working rivals.
Skills gap hobbles US employers - FT.com

This is where on of Gingrich’s ideas has a great deal of merit.

“It is fundamentally wrong to give people money for 99 weeks for doing nothing. That's why we undertook and passed welfare reform when I was Speaker.

It is also why I will introduce a training requirement for extended federal unemployment benefits. We can better help these Americans by requiring them to participate in real training programs in private companies, in exchange for temporary unemployment aid.

Our goal is to convert the time and money now lost to a maintenance unemployment program into a human capital investment program that increases the competitiveness of the American worker in the world market in a time of dramatic scientific and technological change.”

This makes sense. How many people have been out of work for years, just waiting for that perfect job? Skilled workers are needed now! The salaries are great and we don’t have the workers! Retrain, or better yet, train!

Skills gap? :lol:

What bullshit. There are plenty of people with good skill sets working overtime to get jobs. The job market is flooded. And that is just the way most employers want it.

People on UE have to look for workand prove it. Too bad there are very few jobs.

Pubs have obstructed all kinds of training and education bills, to save the rich.

The training and education laws are here. All they have to do is apply. Everyone should be opening up new avenues of skills so they can be providers. If someone has an interest in the skills, there is nothing stopping them from getting the training if out of work.

The president of Marlin Steel Wire Products, a company in Baltimore with 30 employees, Mr Greenblatt says his inability to find qualified workers is hampering his business’s growth. “If I could fill those positions, I could raise our annual revenues from $5m to $7m,” he says.

He is offering a salary of more than $80,000 with overtime, including health and pension benefits. Yet in spite of extensive advertising, he has had no qualified applicants. He is trying to train some of his unskilled staff but says none has the ability or drive to complete the training.

The idea there is something structurally wrong with the US workforce is controversial among economists but has a certain resonance with the public. Since the emergence of Japan as a technology and manufacturing powerhouse in the 1970s, Americans have been anxious that they were losing their competitive edge to better-educated, harder-working rivals.

“It is fundamentally wrong to give people money for 99 weeks for doing nothing. That's why we undertook and passed welfare reform when I was Speaker.

It is also why I will introduce a training requirement for extended federal unemployment benefits. We can better help these Americans by requiring them to participate in real training programs in private companies, in exchange for temporary unemployment aid.

Our goal is to convert the time and money now lost to a maintenance unemployment program into a human capital investment program that increases the competitiveness of the American worker in the world market in a time of dramatic scientific and technological change.”

This makes sense. How many people have been out of work for years, just waiting for that perfect job? Skilled workers are needed now! The salaries are great and we don’t have the workers! Retrain, or better yet, train!

What bullshit. There are plenty of people with good skill sets working overtime to get jobs. The job market is flooded. And that is just the way most employers want it.

Show me a link to skilled workers have flooded the market and there are no jobs left. Three opposite situations were already posted on this thread.

The training and education laws are here. All they have to do is apply. Everyone should be opening up new avenues of skills so they can be providers. If someone has an interest in the skills, there is nothing stopping them from getting the training if out of work.

What is the use of a 40 something person getting training if employers are going to pass them over for cheaper younger employees? There is a lot more at work here then just lazy people, reality is pretty bleak for an unemployed middle aged person these days, some of them may never work at their former level again no matter how well the economy comes back.

Lack of Skilled Workers Poses Threat to Current and Future Economy

America has jobs, but not enough skilled workers to fill them. Solving this growing problem was the lead topic among the more than 400 education and workforce professionals who attended the twelfth annual WorkKeys National Conference, held in San Antonio in May.
Lack of Skilled Workers Poses Threat to Current and Future Economy: Autumn 2009 Activity

Available Jobs, Not Enough Skilled Workers

Two years after the start of the recession, the unemployment rate is still near double digits, which translates to millions of Americans looking for work. For every open job, employers have dozens or even hundreds of applicants eager to get hired. Yet many employers insist that finding qualified candidates is difficult, even in this economy. How can that be?

These employers don't have a shortage of applicants -- they have a shortage of qualified applicants. For most positions, the necessary skills, experience and education requirements are firm and can't be loosened because of a lack of suitable candidates. Bad economy or not, employers need to know their workers are the best possible people for the job.

A good worker is hard to find
"These jobs were difficult to fill prior to the economic downturn," says Julian L. Alssid, executive director of the Workforce Strategy Center in New York. "Hopefully, they will be less difficult to fill as we move more toward a more demand-driven work-force development system in the U.S. This means local employers working directly with community colleges, trade schools and other post-secondary institutions that help people gain skills that are in demand by employers."
Available Jobs, Not Enough Skilled Workers

MN manufacturers: Not enough skilled workers to fill jobs

Tens of thousands of Minnesotans are looking for work, but a survey released Monday shows that nearly half of the state's manufacturers say they have unfilled jobs because they can't find qualified candidates.

About 45 percent of manufacturers in the 2011 Minnesota Skills Gap Survey said the shortage of skilled workers was a moderate or serious problem, according to the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) study.
The biggest shortages were in skilled production (58 percent of respondents said had unfilled positions) and jobs for scientists and engineers (40 percent)
MN manufacturers: Not enough skilled workers to fill jobs - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

More articles available, just google it.

Show me a link to skilled workers have flooded the market and there are no jobs left. Three opposite situations were already posted on this thread.

Link?

I've been looking for six months now. This week I am attending a CCNA class to get the certification. My skill set is includes UNIX/LINUX/TIDAL/HP OPENVIEW/TRIPWIRE/BIG BROTHER/PERL/KORN SHELL/UTP/UAT/ITIL v1, v2, v3/REMEDY/SERVICE NOW/APPLICATION SUPPORT FOR TRADING AND MARKET DATA systems..as well as the standard suite of microsoft office products.

And I am going to training.

Sheesh.

Link?

I've been looking for six months now. This week I am attending a CCNA class to get the certification. My skill set is includes UNIX/LINUX/TIDAL/HP OPENVIEW/TRIPWIRE/BIG BROTHER/PERL/KORN SHELL/UTP/UAT/ITIL v1, v2, v3/REMEDY/SERVICE NOW/APPLICATION SUPPORT FOR TRADING AND MARKET DATA systems..as well as the standard suite of microsoft office products.

Sheesh.

Great Sallow! You sound like you will be ready for a lot that comes along. I sure hope it works out quickly for you! Congratulations on furthering your career, too! have my fingers crossed for you! :)

The American public education system is a steaming pile of horse shit. That is why highly technical industries are having trouble finding Americans to fill these jobs. Steve Jobs even complained about this problem. And yet despite all of this, our politicians and clueless, ignorant parents continue to push the status quo.

The American public education system is a steaming pile of horse shit. That is why highly technical industries are having trouble finding Americans to fill these jobs. Steve Jobs even complained about this problem. And yet despite all of this, our politicians and clueless, ignorant parents continue to push the status quo.

I agree there isn't enough vocational training. Education should stop the social engineering in education and focus on the basics that lead to livelihoods!

Republicans have slashed funding for education in state after state and now, suddenly, education is the answer? Really? What made them finally figure that out?

Now, if they could only understand that it's "demand" that drives the economy. Not giving money to "job creators" (play heavenly music here).

Link?

Sheesh.

Great Sallow! You sound like you will be ready for a lot that comes along. I sure hope it works out quickly for you! Congratulations on furthering your career, too! have my fingers crossed for you! :)

Oh gosh..:lol:

The last time I was out of work was 13 years ago. And that was for 4 weeks.

This has been incredibly tough.

Link?

Sheesh.

Oh gosh..:lol:

The last time I was out of work was 13 years ago. And that was for 4 weeks.

This has been incredibly tough.

I can really appreciate that. When I stopped working it felt like my world fell flat. My purpose was gone. I can't imagine being without a solid income. I'll keep you in my prayers, if that is okay.

Republicans have slashed funding for education in state after state and now, suddenly, education is the answer? Really? What made them finally figure that out?

Now, if they could only understand that it's "demand" that drives the economy. Not giving money to "job creators" (play heavenly music here).

Spending money on schools does not correlate to people getting an education.

That fact that you don't understand this is only another example of why we need to be a little more clever about where we put the dollars we use to help people like you move out of your parents house.

Education has always been the answer, just not the way they are doing now. Let the teachers teach and not propagandize.

Yes, it is demand, but you can see from this thread there is a demand that isn't being filled. You can see that, can't you?

I think the status of these jobs need to become higher to make people take those jobs. The workers needs to be paid what they are worth, and not being exploited by excecutives. If you look to Germany for instance a craftsman or engineer working in the industry is a god, and they have a large export industry (BMW,bosch,Simenes,Mercedes etc.). In Germany an engineer working for the large comapanies can easily make 200.000$ and up each year. So they pay the workers what they are worth.

In US it’s lawyers,physicians,politicians,salesmen that’s get away with all the money, but they don’t really create anything. So to make good students want to takes this jobs you must start paying them what they are worth. Greedy physicians,lawyers,salesmen,politicans should have more regulated salaries and craftsmen and engineers in the industry should be salary leading.

here's why Newts idea (whil;e good on paper) doesn't work in the real world

We can better help these Americans by requiring them to participate in real training programs in private companies, in exchange for temporary unemployment aid.

You see any private companies willing to pay for that?

I don't.

Certainly not in the numbers that we'd need to even make a dent in unemployment.

Another silly conceit brought to you by a rather foolish man who clearly does NOT understand the nature of magnitude of the problem.

Forum List

Back