Jobs waiting for workers!!!

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Skills gap hobbles US employers

The president of Marlin Steel Wire Products, a company in Baltimore with 30 employees, Mr Greenblatt says his inability to find qualified workers is hampering his business’s growth. “If I could fill those positions, I could raise our annual revenues from $5m to $7m,” he says.

He is offering a salary of more than $80,000 with overtime, including health and pension benefits. Yet in spite of extensive advertising, he has had no qualified applicants. He is trying to train some of his unskilled staff but says none has the ability or drive to complete the training.

The idea there is something structurally wrong with the US workforce is controversial among economists but has a certain resonance with the public. Since the emergence of Japan as a technology and manufacturing powerhouse in the 1970s, Americans have been anxious that they were losing their competitive edge to better-educated, harder-working rivals.
Skills gap hobbles US employers - FT.com

This is where on of Gingrich’s ideas has a great deal of merit.

“It is fundamentally wrong to give people money for 99 weeks for doing nothing. That's why we undertook and passed welfare reform when I was Speaker.

It is also why I will introduce a training requirement for extended federal unemployment benefits. We can better help these Americans by requiring them to participate in real training programs in private companies, in exchange for temporary unemployment aid.

Our goal is to convert the time and money now lost to a maintenance unemployment program into a human capital investment program that increases the competitiveness of the American worker in the world market in a time of dramatic scientific and technological change.”

This makes sense. How many people have been out of work for years, just waiting for that perfect job? Skilled workers are needed now! The salaries are great and we don’t have the workers! Retrain, or better yet, train!

Sounds like a good plan to me. The longer most people are getting paid not to work, the more they like it, and the more likely they are to just become complacent and drop out of the work force altogether.

The president of Marlin Steel Wire Products, a company in Baltimore with 30 employees, Mr Greenblatt says his inability to find qualified workers is hampering his business’s growth. “If I could fill those positions, I could raise our annual revenues from $5m to $7m,” he says.

He is offering a salary of more than $80,000 with overtime, including health and pension benefits. Yet in spite of extensive advertising, he has had no qualified applicants. He is trying to train some of his unskilled staff but says none has the ability or drive to complete the training.

The idea there is something structurally wrong with the US workforce is controversial among economists but has a certain resonance with the public. Since the emergence of Japan as a technology and manufacturing powerhouse in the 1970s, Americans have been anxious that they were losing their competitive edge to better-educated, harder-working rivals.

“It is fundamentally wrong to give people money for 99 weeks for doing nothing. That's why we undertook and passed welfare reform when I was Speaker.

It is also why I will introduce a training requirement for extended federal unemployment benefits. We can better help these Americans by requiring them to participate in real training programs in private companies, in exchange for temporary unemployment aid.

Our goal is to convert the time and money now lost to a maintenance unemployment program into a human capital investment program that increases the competitiveness of the American worker in the world market in a time of dramatic scientific and technological change.”

This makes sense. How many people have been out of work for years, just waiting for that perfect job? Skilled workers are needed now! The salaries are great and we don’t have the workers! Retrain, or better yet, train!

It is one thing to require training but who is going to pay for it? People with no jobs? Will there be a guarantee of employment at the end of it? Has anyone asked Big G. these questions?

It is one thing to require training but who is going to pay for it? People with no jobs? Will there be a guarantee of employment at the end of it? Has anyone asked Big G. these questions?

We're already paying for it via taxation.

Are you ready for the next question Conservatives?

Who foots the bill for the training?

My son worked at a factory that paid for him to go to school to become an electrician. All he had was a high school diploma, and they helped him to get a job that's wanted by many companies. He decided to look for work someplace else because he was getting nowhere with the place he worked. Nobody had gotten a raise in 3 years, and he had all this training now as an electrician, but not paid for it. He put his resume out there and has gotten calls from several very good companies. He has a new job now making what he should be with his skills.
Some people know understand that many companies will help them go to school and help them move up on that ladder....but they have to pursue it, not just sit on their butts waiting for handouts.

We're already paying for it via taxation.

I am not necessarily against this but it would be nice if he has some details on his ideas. Is he just going to require people with no money to pay for training for jobs that may not be there? How does that help anyone?

There's always Pell grants. Guaranteed??? What guarantee do they have now except that they get unemployment?

My daughter had no job when she applied for cosmetology school. She got a grant from the state, and she was able to get a FAFSA loan for living expenses since she had to rent an apartment. There's never a guarantee of employment. You still have to sell yourself and prove yourself.

There's always Pell grants. Guaranteed??? What guarantee do they have now except that they get unemployment?

If they themselves have to shell out money they do not have then there has to be some kind of expectation of success. Just be honest and say this is a scheme to pull the rug out from under them because that is what it is.

WSJ has been running stories of the same. recruiters have taken to staking out ground at Ft. Dix and San Diego, the ETS ( termination from service) out processing stations for the army and navy grabbing anyone they can that has certificates in electronics, steam, diesel etc.

a student getting grants and taking loans, living at home, on mommy and daddys medical plan, can sit back and just veg for 4 years if they wanted to, and many do.

Republicans have been slashing education state by state. Keep up.

My son worked at a factory that paid for him to go to school to become an electrician. All he had was a high school diploma, and they helped him to get a job that's wanted by many companies. He decided to look for work someplace else because he was getting nowhere with the place he worked. Nobody had gotten a raise in 3 years, and he had all this training now as an electrician, but not paid for it. He put his resume out there and has gotten calls from several very good companies. He has a new job now making what he should be with his skills.
Some people know understand that many companies will help them go to school and help them move up on that ladder....but they have to pursue it, not just sit on their butts waiting for handouts.

Good for your son

More companies should get involved in financing the education of their workers

My daughter had no job when she applied for cosmetology school. She got a grant from the state, and she was able to get a FAFSA loan for living expenses since she had to rent an apartment. There's never a guarantee of employment. You still have to sell yourself and prove yourself.

Ha! I didn't see your post and my daughter is at home too, is getting $2500 per semester in grants and taking loans to pay for school and living expenses though she does have a part time job.

If they themselves have to shell out money they do not have then there has to be some kind of expectation of success. Just be honest and say this is a scheme to pull the rug out from under them because that is what it is.

I fail to see where a FREE education and training to get jobs as a scheme!!! Lol! What in Heaven's name do you want? You want the gov't to work for you, too?

("pull the rug ou"t...just a shakin' my head!) You are OWS aren't you? Got it! :)

Republicans have been slashing education state by state. Keep up.

Link please.

BTW, your sig, Republicans keeping millions out of work didn't prove true today, did it? .

During a lay-off a couple of years ago I looked into becoming a teacher of my trade, turns out teaching is a thankless, low paying proposition subject to arbitrary budget cuts and political attack. Sorry kids, republicans want to pay me peanuts to teach you how to fish.

During a lay-off a couple of years ago I looked into becoming a teacher of my trade, turns out teaching is a thankless, low paying proposition subject to arbitrary budget cuts and political attack. Sorry kids, republicans want to pay me peanuts to teach you how to fish.

Sorry that didn't work out for you.

Forum List

Back