Jimmy Garoppolo is the highest paid player in the NFL

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
The 49ers signed him to a 5 year, $137.5 million contract. At $27.5 million per year, he's just over Matthew Stafford's $27 mil per year.

When the 49ers first made the trade, I was thinking they should franchise tag him and see how he did for a season. After seeing him play, after he went undefeated on a previously 1-win team, after the 49ers went from 17 PPG to 28.8 PPG, after the 49ers only had 1 three-and-out drive that led to a punt, after everything having Jimmy G start did to elevate the organization, I am on board with this deal.

There's $74 million in guaranteed money. I don't know about the difficulty in the team getting out of the contract if it becomes necessary, or if the pay is front-loaded, but I'm optimistic about things working out.

Cousins will likely end up getting more, Brees might, and if the contract talks work out in Green Bay, Rodgers will. Despite the small sample size, though, Garoppolo has so far looked like a franchise QB. Considering how poorly the 49ers did before his arrival, and how much cap space they have, getting this guy signed to a long-term deal was the right move, IMO.

Dumb. He played well in a few games. It takes a while for defenses to get used to the cadence and rhythm or a new starting QB. Once they do the numbers start dropping off.

But when you have $130 million burning a hole in your pocket you can't buy 10 billion gumballs.

John Lynch just pulled both balls out and put them on the board. This flops and he is curtains.

It depends on the details of the contract, and what input York might have had into things, as to how big a risk this really is. :dunno:
The reeks of Matt Cassell part 2. Remember that guy? I don't know...bless him. I hope it all works out but this has the makings of a complete shit show.

John Lynch just pulled both balls out and put them on the board. This flops and he is curtains.

It depends on the details of the contract, and what input York might have had into things, as to how big a risk this really is. :dunno:
The reeks of Matt Cassell part 2. Remember that guy? I don't know...bless him. I hope it all works out but this has the makings of a complete shit show.

Cassel was traded because of what he had done as the starter in New England when Brady went down. He got a long-term deal before he ever played for the Chiefs. Ditto what happened with Brock Osweiler. Neither of those players had played for their new teams before getting big contracts. Garoppolo, on the other hand, started 5 games and played in 6 for the 49ers. The team isn't going solely on his performance with other coaches and a different surrounding offense.

Garoppolo might not end up doing well, but the 49ers have a better idea of what they've got in him than the Chiefs did with Cassel.

Cassel was traded because of what he had done as the starter in New England when Brady went down. He got a long-term deal before he ever played for the Chiefs. Ditto what happened with Brock Osweiler. Neither of those players had played for their new teams before getting big contracts. Garoppolo, on the other hand, started 5 games and played in 6 for the 49ers. The team isn't going solely on his performance with other coaches and a different surrounding offense.

Garoppolo might not end up doing well, but the 49ers have a better idea of what they've got in him than the Chiefs did with Cassel.
And Garappolo? Me thinks this doesn't look too gooooooood. Oh well, time will tell. As I stated previously...bless him.

The 49ers signed him to a 5 year, $137.5 million contract. At $27.5 million per year, he's just over Matthew Stafford's $27 mil per year.

When the 49ers first made the trade, I was thinking they should franchise tag him and see how he did for a season. After seeing him play, after he went undefeated on a previously 1-win team, after the 49ers went from 17 PPG to 28.8 PPG, after the 49ers only had 1 three-and-out drive that led to a punt, after everything having Jimmy G start did to elevate the organization, I am on board with this deal.

There's $74 million in guaranteed money. I don't know about the difficulty in the team getting out of the contract if it becomes necessary, or if the pay is front-loaded, but I'm optimistic about things working out.

Cousins will likely end up getting more, Brees might, and if the contract talks work out in Green Bay, Rodgers will. Despite the small sample size, though, Garoppolo has so far looked like a franchise QB. Considering how poorly the 49ers did before his arrival, and how much cap space they have, getting this guy signed to a long-term deal was the right move, IMO.
SF has always been known for buying their Superbowls.

Now they are trying again.

The good news is that Kapernick is still unemployed.

I don't recall ever hearing the 49ers bought their Super Bowls. They drafted both Montana and Rice, for example, two of the best to ever play their positions.

I don't recall ever hearing the 49ers bought their Super Bowls. They drafted both Montana and Rice, for example, two of the best to ever play their positions.
49ers tended to build through the draft

And Garappolo? Me thinks this doesn't look too gooooooood. Oh well, time will tell. As I stated previously...bless him.
If he can get it
He deserves it

Tony Romo went to the same College as Jimmy, Eastern Illinois and broke all of Tony's records.

If he can get it
He deserves it
I...question that logic.

True. They must have extreme confidance in him that he can be effective in a entire 16 game season to offer so much money for him like that.

Yeah before his arrival,the niners did not know the meaning of the word winning the last three or four years.

He is a pretty impressive quarterback,I got to watch him against the Rams in the final game of the season and saw him in a pre seasaon game with the pats once and he was impressive both time.

they obviously have confidance in him that he will continue to win for them as he did the last five games of the year when he came off the bench which is pretty cool actually if he indeed is going to turn the fortunes around for team as wilson did for the hawks and brady did for the pats. which is fine with me cause i would LOVE more than anything to see that california rivalry of the niners and rams back.:yes_text12::dance:

well it IS back with the Rams back in LA. As the announcers said last year,it,doesnt matter if it is a year where both teams are horrible as they were last year,the fans get into that particular game because of their history same as the bears and packers do.:) they sold out BOTH times last year and this year as well in both SF and LA.

But a rivalray is MAINLY called that because of two teams fighting it out neck and neck to win the division title which the niners and rams did of course so many times in the 70's and 80's.:) that looks to be right around the corner again.:banana:winning by both teams just enhances the rivalry.:)

oh and when Jimmy G turns the fortunes of this franchise around next year and they have winning season after winning season,I can pretty much count on all of you Belicheat apologists to say that Kyle Shannahan is the greatest coach in the NFL next to Belicheat since like Belicheat,a QB is going to come on and save his ass from the toilet and keep him from being a loser his whole life as he was destined to be before Brady saved his ass from being a complete failure in the NFL as he was on the road to being before he came along and saved it.
:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:
:iyfyus.jpg:

people always forget that Belicheat his first year there when he had Bledsoe as his starter,they had a losing season BESIDES having four losing seasons in five years at cleveland. :cuckoo::lmao:Well Kyle Shanahan also had a losing season his first year in SF and now looks like he is going to have a bunch of winning seasons year after year as well which means of course all i will hear from you Belicheat apologists that he is ALSO a great coach since a good QB came along and saved his ass from being a failure as belicheat was his whole life before Brady save it,:iyfyus.jpg:

its always amusing that everytime i bring up those pesky facts this is what you do-:scared1:

Last edited:

that indeed is pretty funny he actually thinks they bought them like the yankees in baseball always DO buy THEIR world series champion rings.:haha:

His logic is as funny as yours is that Belicheat is a good coach.LOL

You have not seen an entire game of his before then.

Read post# 7 of Montrovants.This guy is going to be good. I saw him against the Rams this year and he amazed me.I also saw him in a pre season game with the cheats a few years ago and he blew me away with his performance.He gets pressure on him and looks like he is going to go down when players have their arms wrapped around him but he escaped and threw a touchdown TWICE in that game under the same circumstances. I think you will find he is something pretty special.

For the niners to give him that kind of contract,they know there is something special about him.I liken their sutuation a lot to the Rams in trading so many high draft picks and so many so they could move up and get the number one pick to draft Goff.

At first i was infuriated over the situation and after watching Goffs performance in the final 7 games his rookie year,i thought it was a mistake on their part to give up so much for someone that did not play at a well known college like UCLA or USC I wanted the Rams to take Carson Wentz. Now however,I see that the Rams knew what they were doing because their gamble paid off,they KNEW Goff was something special and the niners obviously know what they are doing to have paid him so much big bucks like that.

True. They must have extreme confidance in him that he can be effective in a entire 16 game season to offer so much money for him like that.

Yeah before his arrival,the niners did not know the meaning of the word winning the last three or four years.

He is a pretty impressive quarterback,I got to watch him against the Rams in the final game of the season and saw him in a pre seasaon game with the pats once and he was impressive both time.

they obviously have confidance in him that he will continue to win for them as he did the last five games of the year when he came off the bench which is pretty cool actually if he indeed is going to turn the fortunes around for team as wilson did for the hawks and brady did for the pats. which is fine with me cause i would LOVE more than anything to see that california rivalry of the niners and rams back.:yes_text12::dance:

well it IS back with the Rams back in LA. As the announcers said last year,it,doesnt matter if it is a year where both teams are horrible as they were last year,the fans get into that particular game because of their history same as the bears and packers do.:) they sold out BOTH times last year and this year as well in both SF and LA.

But a rivalray is MAINLY called that because of two teams fighting it out neck and neck to win the division title which the niners and rams did of course so many times in the 70's and 80's.:) that looks to be right around the corner again.:banana:

oh and when Jimmy G turns the fortunes of this franchise around next year and they have winning season after winning season,I can pretty much count on all of you Belicheat apologists to say that Kyle Shannahan is the greatest coach in the NFL next to Belicheat since like Belicheat,a QB is going to come on and save his ass from the toilet and keep him from being a loser his whole life as he was destined to be before Brady saved his ass from being a complete failure in the NFL as he was on the road to being before he came along and saved it.
:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

people always forget that Belicheat his first year there when he had Bledsoe as his starter,they had a losing season. Well Shanahan had a losing season his first year in SF and now looks like he is going to have a bunch of winning seasons year after year as well which means of course i will hear from you that he is ALSO a great coach since a good QB came along and saved his ass from being a failure as belicheat was his whole life before Brady save it,:iyfyus.jpg:

its always amusing that everytime i bring up those pesky facts this is what you do-:scared1:

Do you think Bill Walsh was a bad coach because he had Montana?

Was Don Schula a bad coach for having Marino?

Was Mike Holmgren a bad coach for having Favre?

Was Tony Dungy a bad coach for winning his Super Bowl when he had Manning?

Or is only Belichick hurt by having a great QB?

But a rivalray is MAINLY called that because of two teams fighting it out neck and neck to win the division title which the niners and rams did of course so many times in the 70's and 80's.:) that looks to be right around the corner again.:banana:

people always forget that Belicheat his first year there when he had Bledsoe as his starter,they had a losing season. Well Shanahan had a losing season his first year in SF and now looks like he is going to have a bunch of winning seasons year after year as well which means of course i will hear from you that he is ALSO a great coach since a good QB came along and saved his ass from being a failure as belicheat was his whole life before Brady save it,:iyfyus.jpg:

Do you think Bill Walsh was a bad coach because he had Montana?

Was Don Schula a bad coach for having Marino?

Was Mike Holmgren a bad coach for having Favre?

Was Tony Dungy a bad coach for winning his Super Bowl when he had Manning?

Or is only Belichick hurt by having a great QB?

apples and oranges.:haha:

the difference in all THOSE coachs is they were all successful in other places they went. where they coached another team Walsh and Shula being the exception.:haha: Walsh it was always well known wayyyyy before he had Montana,that he was an offensive genius so he clearly had a hand in the development of Montana.LOL Shula also coached and was great under Bob Griese before Marino.Shula was also known as an offesive genius as well.LOL he proved that by when he had Griese,their offensive game plan was mostly a running attack and passing was limited where when got Marino and saw that he had a lighting quick release unlike any other NFL quarterback to ever play the game plus had a strong accurate arm,since he was a good coach,he was willing to change his style and adapt it to the passing game with Marino having such a strong accurate arm.

People like Old Yeller get what i am saying but you like all Belicheat apologists,only see what you WANT to see as we both know.:itsok:

Like I said,I am quite looking forward next year to hearing you Belicheat apologists say Kyle Shannahan is one of the best coachs in the NFL when Jimmy turns the fortunes of your team around.:iyfyus.jpg:

Forum List

Back