Jim Cramer Apologizes To Jeff Gundlach After 'Bond King' Boycotts CNBC

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
'Doubleline Capital's Jeff Gundlach raised a few eyebrows last night when he tweeted seemingly out of nowhere that his appearances on CNBC were now a "thing of the past" and that he would be taking his revered market commentary to Fox Business in the future.

So sad that appearances on CNBC are now a thing of the past. It was great while it lasted. Blame it on Cramer. We’ll be on Fox Business.

This was unquestionably bad news for CNBC. For anybody who doubts just how much influence Gundlach - the reigning 'bond king' whose DoubleLine Capital is one of the biggest fixed income firms in the world with more than $150 billion in AUM - has on markets, just look at how markets reacted to Gundlach's CNBC interview from Monday, when Gundlach dropped a series of "truth bombs" (including declaring that we're in a "long term bear market for stocks") that promptly sent US stocks spiraling deeper into the red.

Given CNBC's categorically bullish outlook on all assets from stocks, to bonds to bitcoin, it's hardly surprising that Gundlach's take didn't sit well with "Mad Money" host Jim Cramer, who mocked Gundlach for his accurate calls on stocks and bonds, saying during a morning appearance on CNBC yesterday that Gundlach should "stick to bonds."

Gundlach didn't take too kindly to that, and unsurprisingly given his history (since taking to twitter) of trashing Cramer, apparently, this mocking at the hands of the Cramer was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Fast forward roughly twelve hours, Cramer called in to the "Halftime Report" with Scott Wapner to deliver an effusive, apropos of nothing, on-air apology, all but begging Gundlach to give CNBC another chance.

Cramer apologizing like crazy to Gundlach on CNBC -- "No disrespect" "I feel badly" "I made some mistakes" "I reached out to him directly" @TruthGundlach

That Cramer, a former hedge fund manager of middling repute, would have the gall to criticize Gundlach (who is in charge of $150 billion) seemed to many like an affront, and like the CNBC host was out of his depth. This prompted some humorous commentary on twitter.'

Jim Cramer Apologizes To Jeff Gundlach After 'Bond King' Boycotts CNBC

Funny stuff.

I would have loved to hear that conversation between CNBC and Cramer.

I am assuming it went something like this:

'Way to go Jim, now Gundlach is bolting for Fox. You are going to get on the air PRONTO...and you are going apologize and kiss Gundlach's ass ten ways from Sunday. Because we are not losing him to Fox because of your stupid comments.'

Last edited:
  • Banned
Here is the interview where the VERY, well respected Gundlach called this market an extended Bear market (in essence).

• Banned
Gundlach - at 6:00 of the above video - makes a VERY interesting point about the deficit.

That the FY2018 saw the actual deficit rise $1.3 trillion (actual government numbers - remember, not all of the budget deficit is reported). That is roughly 6% of the GDP. That is money being added to the economy in the form of government debt.
What does that mean?
That means that these solid GDP growth numbers in 2018 are basically nothing more than the massive, government deficit, artificially propping up the economy (and the GDP growth numbers).

I had not considered that.

And I had also not considered that Trump/Congress is racking up the deficit while interest rates are rising. That is absolutely the last thing you should be doing.
It is supposed to be the opposite.
If you have to raise the deficit - do it when rates are low/dropping...not when they are rising.
Also, you raise the deficit when times are bad - not good (this part I realized).
The good times are when you are supposed to lower the deficit.
Trump/Congress has got this COMPLETELY backwards.

Finally, what happens if a recession happens with these sky-high deficits (the FY2019 deficit is currently running at $1.6 trillion apparently - according to Gundlach). It could just absolutely EXPLODE...$2.5-3 trillion.

This is TOTALLY ridiculous.

And both parties are not spending NEARLY enough energy on this.

Last edited:
  • Banned
And at 12:55...he says what I and MANY others have said for years.

The problem is the Fed has kept rates too low for too long.

They did it during the housing boom.

And they are doing it again.

The Fed NEVER seem to learn.

I saw the Gundlach interview in real time. He is VERY impressive. I hope that the Fed reconsiders and says that as long as inflation is low that they can raise rates at a much slower pace.

Forum List

Back