Jihadists seize control of Syria’s cotton industry

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I never realized that Syria had such a big textile industry. No doubt there will be people who will still buy these textiles regardless of whom is in charge of the business. Are there any clothes in which the label

states where the material comes from. All I have seen is "Made in ........."

ISLAMIC State militants have taken control of most of Syria’s cotton industry, causing an ethical headache for fashion houses across the globe.
By ANIL DAWAR
PUBLISHED: 00:01, Fri, Sep 11, 2015
fb.png

cotton-604396.jpg
GETTY

Jihadists are said to have seized vast numbers of fields
Jihadists are said to have seized vast numbers of fields and now control around three-quarters of the production of cotton in the entire country.

The takeover means that IS-produced cotton may be making its way into the international markets through Turkish wholesalers buying it at cut-rate prices.

And clothing manufacturers could be unwittingly funding the terrorists’ war against the West.

Turkey is the EU’s second largest supplier of fabric and third for clothing.

Syria has historically been one of Turkey’s main suppliers and raw cotton from IS-controlled fields in the Raqqa and Dier ez-Zor regions has made its way across the border.

Due to the four-year-long conflict the situation in Syria is very fluid and it is difficult to have a precise picture of what is actually happening on the ground

Jose Sette, of the International Cotton Advisory Committee

Before the war, Syria was producing around 600,000 tonnes of cotton per year, that has dropped to 70,000, of which 3,000 is officially exported.

Continue reading at:

they already have the oil and laid waste to much of the tourism industry

I keep on thinking that if only Assad was willing to sit down with the opposition and negotiate something, we wouldn't be seeing all this going on today. Negotiations and concessions would have been the way to go.

I keep on thinking that if only Assad was willing to sit down with the opposition and negotiate something, we wouldn't be seeing all this going on today. Negotiations and concessions would have been the way to go.

Too little far too late

They are not willows, they are thorny pines

Another anti Assad post. Syria looking just like Iraq, Zionist are drooling.

Another anti Assad post. Syria looking just like Iraq, Zionist are drooling.

Oh, Penelope, the Ayatollah Khomein is so proud of you for saying that. He is thinking about inviting you to sitt alongside him while he waits for the 12th Imam to jump out of the well. Then he will let you push the button to destroy those "darn Zionists." Afterward you will be one happy woman for a while. I wonder which group you will begin to hate next because you do need something in your hateful life.

I never realized that Syria had such a big textile industry. No doubt there will be people who will still buy these textiles regardless of whom is in charge of the business. Are there any clothes in which the label

states where the material comes from. All I have seen is "Made in ........."

ISLAMIC State militants have taken control of most of Syria’s cotton industry, causing an ethical headache for fashion houses across the globe.
By ANIL DAWAR
PUBLISHED: 00:01, Fri, Sep 11, 2015
fb.png

cotton-604396.jpg
GETTY

Jihadists are said to have seized vast numbers of fields
Jihadists are said to have seized vast numbers of fields and now control around three-quarters of the production of cotton in the entire country.

The takeover means that IS-produced cotton may be making its way into the international markets through Turkish wholesalers buying it at cut-rate prices.

And clothing manufacturers could be unwittingly funding the terrorists’ war against the West.

Turkey is the EU’s second largest supplier of fabric and third for clothing.

Syria has historically been one of Turkey’s main suppliers and raw cotton from IS-controlled fields in the Raqqa and Dier ez-Zor regions has made its way across the border.

Due to the four-year-long conflict the situation in Syria is very fluid and it is difficult to have a precise picture of what is actually happening on the ground

Jose Sette, of the International Cotton Advisory Committee

Before the war, Syria was producing around 600,000 tonnes of cotton per year, that has dropped to 70,000, of which 3,000 is officially exported.

Continue reading at:

And?? ...... :cool:

Admit lt you like what is happening to Syria.

What a stupid statement, especially when you consider the cost to the American public the enormous amount of money these bombing missions involve. Then add in the cost of bringing in refugees that will be fed and housed with American taxpayers' money. Why would any American like what is happening in Syria? They would hope for peace and that the Syrians could live in their own country without fear.

By the way, why don;'t you admit that you are under psychiatric care?

Forum List

Back