Jesus Christ.

I guarantee you have unneeded worldly possessions. Do you have any form of jewelry? Do you own a cell phone? Car? Art?

You are a perfect example of people picking and choosing. It's not that people actively believe they can ignore certain rules, they just make up excuses why they don't apply to them as you just did.

Where have I said the Bible doesn't apply to me?
Now this has went from a cordial exchange to you putting words in my mouth and trying to categorize me.

Have I directed anything towards you?
No.

That's what I get, I guess
Unsubscribed.

Your claim.
Burden of proof is on you.
Unless, of course, you'd like to go ahead and admit, now, that you are lying.
I promise that by the time you can come up with 3 Christians that behave the way you claim, I will have have 7 at the ready that do not.

I'll respond to your new requests AFTER you respond to what's already been discussed. We were discussing the foolishness of Christ thinking that not telling people the day of the return would encourage them to behave in a christian manner. Even you have admitted that Christs' plan failed in this case, and that christians do not follow his teachings because it is easy to ignore Christ. But for some reason, you don't want to discuss this and are now trying to distract from your failure to respond by tossing out a few red herrings

You have also failed to answer other questions I asked of you such as "how good can a religion be if it's adherents are such "morons" (as you describe them)?

I'll be happy to answer your questions as soon as you answer the ones I've already asked of you
It is my contention that Christians, as a whole, DO behave as if HE is returning at any moment.
Why am I obligated to discuss that with you?
I honestly believe that I have been around a lot more Christians than you have.

I have never referred to the people of my faith as morons.

You have made the claim that Christians behave in a certain way.
Name 3 Christians that behave that way, or admit that you lied in order to prove a negative.

You have made many claims in this thread without backing them up with proof

Either back up your claims with proof, or admit that you lied

and yet, how many worldly possessions have you acquired and stored up over the years? You're in America. The default here is ridiculous over-production and over-consumption. So as I said: I have yet to see anyone actually follow that teaching.
I can't say I've ever had that problem.
Just a working stiff trying to make ends meet.

I see the super-Church evangelists and wonder the same.
:cool:

And here we have a shining example of how nearly every christian ignores the Word of God. God wants them to sell their possessions. Christians are so greedy and dishonest that they will lie and claim they have nothing to give while typiing on a computer connected to the Internet.:lol:

Now this has went from a cordial exchange to you putting words in my mouth and trying to categorize me.

No.

Unsubscribed.

You didn't SAY the bible doesn't apply to you. Your actions make it clear that you think Jesus' call to sell all of your possessions does not apply to you. If you thought it did apply to you, you would have sold your computer and given the money to the needy.

No.

Unsubscribed.

You didn't SAY the bible doesn't apply to you. Your actions make it clear that you think Jesus' call to sell all of your possessions does not apply to you. If you thought it did apply to you, you would have sold your computer and given the money to the needy.

Must suck knowing Mahomet was a pedophile who molested a 6 year old little girl still playing with her dolls and that Islam sanctions the beating of women.

Instead of trying to bash a legitimate religion like Christianity, why not just leave the fake cult of Islam. Oh, that's right, the penalty for leaving the religion of peace is death.

True christians are fine folks.
Those who just use their religion to justify their unchristlike actions though are worse than non believers.

In those cases they're not true Christians then, aren't they?:eusa_angel:

I believe most of the extremely religious operate from deep seated feelings of guilt for their sins anyway. By being religious I mean you attend church religiously.

It's truly a difficult endeavor to live by your principles and not allow your prejudices to overrule your sense of fairness. Christians have a tendency to cut themselves off from what they consider to be the sinful when Jesus provided them with examples not to do that. The reconciliation between Mathew and Peter is a prime example of this. He taught us to love our enemies. However he didn't teach us to love those who continue to do harm to us. We're supposed to forgive them when they ask for forgiveness but we aren't ordered to commit suicide just to appear compassionate.

nope. We are suppose to forgive even when NOT asked.

I agree we are not suppose to commit suicide, but we are suppose to die at the hands of others, for our beliefs, if this is what it boils down to.

"Forgive us... our sins, as we forgive those who have sinned against us"

NOT

Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who have asked for forgiveness....

True christians are fine folks.
Those who just use their religion to justify their unchristlike actions though are worse than non believers.

I believe most of the extremely religious operate from deep seated feelings of guilt for their sins anyway. By being religious I mean you attend church religiously.

It's truly a difficult endeavor to live by your principles and not allow your prejudices to overrule your sense of fairness. Christians have a tendency to cut themselves off from what they consider to be the sinful when Jesus provided them with examples not to do that. The reconciliation between Mathew and Peter is a prime example of this. He taught us to love our enemies. However he didn't teach us to love those who continue to do harm to us. We're supposed to forgive them when they ask for forgiveness but we aren't ordered to commit suicide just to appear compassionate.

I agree we are not suppose to commit suicide, but we are suppose to die at the hands of others, for our beliefs, if this is what it boils down to.

NOT

You seem to be saying that you never ask for forgiveness when you sin.

The part that says "as we forgive those" is the important. According to christian doctrine, to be forgiven one must repent of those sins and asking for forgiveness is part of the penance. If you don't do penance, you can't be forgiven. WHen they say "as we forgive those who have sinned against us", you must consider how they forgive those who have sinned against them. They only forgive those who have repented for their sins and asked for forgiveness

NOT

The part that says "as we forgive those" is the important. According to christian doctrine, to be forgiven one must repent of those sins and asking for forgiveness is part of the penance. If you don't do penance, you can't be forgiven. WHen they say "as we forgive those who have sinned against us", you must consider how they forgive those who have sinned against them. They only forgive those who have repented for their sins and asked for forgiveness

whether I ask for forgiveness or not, does not matter....

what was special about Jesus Christ, is that He forgave and forgives, before our repenting....He forgave the adulteress about to be stoned to death, BEFORE she even had a chance to repent or even ask for forgiveness...He said to her: "Your sins are forgiven" BEFORE he asked her to repent, before He said to her, "now go, and sin no more".

Knowing this, humbles me.

NOT

what was special about Jesus Christ, is that He forgave and forgives, before our repenting....He forgave the adulteress about to be stoned to death, BEFORE she even had a chance to repent or even ask for forgiveness...He said to her: "Your sins are forgiven" BEFORE he asked her to repent, before He said to her, "now go, and sin no more".

Yes, Christ was special. That's why He could forgive without being asked for forgiveness. God gave His Son the power to do this. Ordinary souls, like yourself, are not capable of granting forgiveness to others for their sins, just as you are not capable of coming back to life after your death.

Yes, Christ was special. That's why He could forgive without being asked for forgiveness. God gave His Son the power to do this. Ordinary souls, like yourself, are not capable of granting forgiveness to others for their sins, just as you are not capable of coming back to life after your death.

I'm suppose to try to forgive others, just as Christ did....before they ask for forgiveness. THAT IS the Christian doctrine. That is Christianity....Christ like.

Whether I can accomplish this, is another story....we all fall short of the Glory of God....if we did not, then Christ would not have needed to die as a sacrifice, for our collective sins.

By not requiring us to repent for our sins, yet given forgiveness, is humbling....humbling enough to make us or to make me, want to do better and "sin, no more"....humbling enough to make me Love God, even more....humbling enough to bring me to Christ, when I know I do not deserve Him or His forgiveness....

Only through Grace, can I be saved from myself.

I do repent, when I have sinned....not because it is required from God/Christ in order for me to be saved....but because God, loves me regardless..... and I owe Him for being so fabulous! I need to show Him, I can do better....I want to show Him that I can do better, I want to please Him....

There is only ONE, Unforgiveable sin, according to Christ and the Bible....and this is sinning against the Holy Spirit....denying the Holy Spirit....

I'm suppose to try to forgive others, just as Christ did....before they ask for forgiveness. THAT IS the Christian doctrine. That is Christianity....Christ like.

Whether I can accomplish this, is another story....we all fall short of the Glory of God....if we did not, then Christ would not have needed to die as a sacrifice, for our collective sins.

By not requiring us to repent for our sins, yet given forgiveness, is humbling....humbling enough to make us or to make me, want to do better and "sin, no more"....humbling enough to make me Love God, even more....humbling enough to bring me to Christ, when I know I do not deserve Him or His forgiveness....

I do repent, when I have sinned....not because it is required from God/Christ in order for me to be saved....but because God, loves me regardless..... and I owe Him for being so fabulous! I need to show Him, I can do better....I want to show Him that I can do better, I want to please Him....

There is only ONE, Unforgiveable sin, according to Christ and the Bible....and this is sinning against the Holy Spirit....denying the Holy Spirit....

Yes and no. I agree you can TRY to forgive without being asked, but the Bible makes it clear that only God (or one of his representatives on earth) has the power to do so. You can try as much as you want, but you do not have the power to forgive a persons' sins without them repenting (which includes their asking for forgiveness). So the bottom line is, you can not forgive unless you are asked for forgiveness. You can try, just as you can try to fly, but you can't do it

Howver, you are flat out wrong to say the repentance is not required. Jesus and his disciples (amongst many other biblical figures) were very clear that repetance is REQUIRED in order to be saved

Luke 5:32 (New International Version, ©2010)
32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Acts 20:21
I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Isaiah 30:15
This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.

Acts 8 verse 9-24.

Simon is a believer, and was baptized, yet when he sins accidentally he is still rebuked and commanded by Peter to repent as Simon remains a "captive of sin".

Last edited:

Acts 8 verse 9-24.

Simon is a believer, and was baptized, yet when he sins accidentally he is still rebuked and commanded by Peter to repent as Simon remains a "captive of sin".

here is the FULL passage in context....what do you think or believe it means Missourian?

Simon the Sorcerer
9 Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10 and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.” 11 They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his sorcery. 12 But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19 and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20 Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. 22 Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23 For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”

24 Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”

25 After they had further proclaimed the word of the Lord and testified about Jesus, Peter and John returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel in many Samaritan villages.

Acts 8 verse 9-24.

here is the FULL passage in context....what do you think or believe it means Missourian?

Simon the Sorcerer
9 Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10 and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.” 11 They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his sorcery. 12 But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19 and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20 Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. 22 Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23 For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”

24 Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”

25 After they had further proclaimed the word of the Lord and testified about Jesus, Peter and John returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel in many Samaritan villages.

I don't have to believe...it clearly says "Repent of this wickedness".

Acts 8 verse 9-24.

Simon the Sorcerer

To me, it means that Missourian is either lying, or more likely, is one of the many moron Christians who dont understand the tenets of his own faith

Missourian claims that Simon was a believer, but Simons request to purchase Godly powers proves he wasn't a believer in Christ.

Missourian claims that Simon sinned "accidentally". The Bible proves that Simon did not ask for those powers "accidentally". His request was intentional

Acts 8 verse 9-24.

Simon the Sorcerer

You were asked

You response does not answer the question asked. In addition, you are dishonestly editing out some of Peters' response to Simons request. It clearly says "Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord"

Acts 8 verse 9-24.

Simon the Sorcerer

yes, of course we should repent of our own wickedness....DID I SAY WE SHOULD NOT?

Acts 8 verse 9-24.

Simon the Sorcerer

To me, it means that Missourian is either lying, or more likely, is one of the many moron Christians who dont understand the tenets of his own faith

Missourian claims that Simon was a believer, but Simons request to purchase Godly powers proves he wasn't a believer in Christ.

Missourian claims that Simon sinned "accidentally". The Bible proves that Simon did not ask for those powers "accidentally". His request was intentional

Verse 13 states "Simon himself believed and was baptized".

Is the Scripture lying?

Simon sin was accidental because he was using his former life as a guide.

Forum List

Back