Jerusalem Corpus Separatum

Our two holiest cities/sites are under Jewish or Muslim control. We don't whine about it and we have the power to change that if we want.

Is the international community denying your connection to the places? Are you permitted to visit and worship there?

No.

BETHLEHEM (Maā€˜an) 6 Apr ā€” A group of Christians from East Jerusalem on Sunday said that Israelā€™s restrictions on Palestinian mobility resulted in violations of religious freedoms. The statement, signed ā€œPalestinian Christian Organizations in Occupied East Jerusalem,ā€ complained that Christians are often denied access to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre during the Easter holidays. Each Easter, checkpoints are erected ā€œat the Gates and in the alley, thus preventing the worshipers from free access to the Via Dolorosa, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and the vicinity of the Christian Quarter.ā€ Israelā€™s restrictions on Palestinian Christians are a part of larger strategy of Judaization in Jerusalem, the statement said. - See more at: Israeli restrictions over Palestinian movement violate Christian religious freedom during Easter

No.
BETHLEHEM (Maā€˜an) 6 Apr ā€” A group of Christians from East Jerusalem on Sunday said that Israelā€™s restrictions on Palestinian mobility resulted in violations of religious freedoms. The statement, signed ā€œPalestinian Christian Organizations in Occupied East Jerusalem,ā€ complained that Christians are often denied access to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre during the Easter holidays. Each Easter, checkpoints are erected ā€œat the Gates and in the alley, thus preventing the worshipers from free access to the Via Dolorosa, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and the vicinity of the Christian Quarter.ā€ Israelā€™s restrictions on Palestinian Christians are a part of larger strategy of Judaization in Jerusalem, the statement said. - See more at: Israeli restrictions over Palestinian movement violate Christian religious freedom during Easter

So let's be clear here:

YES, Christians are permitted access to their holy places.

YES, Christians are permitted to hold and perform whatever worship services are deemed appropriate by their own faith.

YES, Christians are permitted to pray there.

BUT the number of people who are permitted is (occasionally) restricted for safety and security reasons. And you do know that similar safety precautions are common throughout the world and do not represent religious discrimination, yes?

As opposed to Jewish people who are NOT permitted to access our holy site at times, and who are NOT permitted to pray there and are NOT permitted to conduct any worship services at all.

And by the way, one can not "Judaize" Jerusalem as Jerusalem is ALREADY Jewish and has been for three thousand years.

No.

So let's be clear here:

YES, Christians are permitted access to their holy places.

YES, Christians are permitted to hold and perform whatever worship services are deemed appropriate by their own faith.

YES, Christians are permitted to pray there.

BUT the number of people who are permitted is (occasionally) restricted for safety and security reasons. And you do know that similar safety precautions are common throughout the world and do not represent religious discrimination, yes?

As opposed to Jewish people who are NOT permitted to access our holy site at times, and who are NOT permitted to pray there and are NOT permitted to conduct any worship services at all.

And by the way, one can not "Judaize" Jerusalem as Jerusalem is ALREADY Jewish and has been for three thousand years.

The boy cuts and pastes from Mondoweiss. Nuff' said.

JERUSALEM (CNS) -- Israeli restrictions on reaching the Church of the Holy Sepulcher for Holy Week and Easter are part of the current Israeli government's policy of making Jerusalem an exclusively Jewish city

Christians concerned with Israeli restrictions for Holy Week, Easter

Israeli police officers created barriers for some Palestinian Christians who were seeking to attend together with a group of high-ranking diplomats...
Robert H. Serry, the United Nationsā€™ special coordinator for the Middle East peace process, said he and several other senior diplomats had joined with Palestinian Christians in a special procession to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, which is built on the hill where Christians believe Jesus was crucified and buried before rising from the dead.

But despite earlier assurances of unhindered access to the church for the Saturday of Light ceremonies, Serry said in a statement, Israeli police refused to allow the group entry, saying they had orders to that effect."

Palestinian Christians marking Easter struggle to reach Jerusalem holy site, U.N. envoy says

So, again, as evidenced in your post, montelatici , Christians are admitted, are able to pray and are able to conduct worship there.

With the latest debate relating to Temple Mount/Haram al-Sharif I wonder if it's time to look at corpus separatum for Jerusalem again?

Perhaps this is the ONLY way to find a peaceful solution to the 'Jerusalem question'?

Take a ball from squabbling kids, no more squabbling...

So instead of the Muslims trying to detach the Jews from the holiest of holy places, you want a third party to do that?

Pfft. Fairly unlikely!

Pfft, you miss the point....

But you are absolutely right, Israel would never let go of their unrecognised, occupied 'capital'.

Israel will never give up the Temple Mount, just like a child will never agree to be detached from his father.

The Temple Mount is the cord and placenta of Jews to our Father. You have no right to cut the cord before time.

But you are absolutely right, Israel would never let go of their unrecognised, occupied 'capital'.

But you understand WHY, yes?

Well, I have my views as to why yes...

I am guessing you are talking about 'security'? Well, with an international 'body' taking sole responsibility for Jerusalem and the security within, I don't think that is an issue... Maybe a 'perceived' issue for Israelis AND Palestinians alike, but, until there is some kind of action taken over Jerusalem there will never be peace.

It's not only security. Jerusalem represents the deepest emotions within every Jewish heart. Even secular Israelis who spend Shabbat on the beach instinctively know that an Israel without Jerusalem is like a body without a soul. A rebuilt Jerusalem is mentioned in daily prayers, and the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE is the subject of 4 out of the 6 annual fast days in the Jewish calendar. A glass is broken at every Jewish wedding in memory of 70 CE, and pictures of Jerusalem adorn every Jewish home. Like it says in the Bible, "If I forget thee O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither. Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, if I remember not Jerusalem above my greatest joy!"

Our two holiest cities/sites are under Jewish or Muslim control. We don't whine about it and we have the power to change that if we want.

You have absolute religious freedom in those places.

You make our point for us, so thank you

I am guessing you are talking about 'security'? Well, with an international 'body' taking sole responsibility for Jerusalem and the security within, I don't think that is an issue... Maybe a 'perceived' issue for Israelis AND Palestinians alike, but, until there is some kind of action taken over Jerusalem there will never be peace.

It's not only security. Jerusalem represents the deepest emotions within every Jewish heart. Even secular Israelis who spend Shabbat on the beach instinctively know that an Israel without Jerusalem is like a body without a soul. A rebuilt Jerusalem is mentioned in daily prayers, and the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE is the subject of 4 out of the 6 annual fast days in the Jewish calendar. A glass is broken at every Jewish wedding in memory of 70 CE, and pictures of Jerusalem adorn every Jewish home. Like it says in the Bible, "If I forget thee O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither. Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, if I remember not Jerusalem above my greatest joy!"

Trying to explain to the haters the connection between the people of Israel to the Temple Mount is like trying to describe colors to a blind man.

20140419-082816-palestine-0013.jpg

But despite earlier assurances of unhindered access to the church, Serry said in a statement, the Israeli police refused to allow his group entry, saying they had orders to that effectā€¦. The special coordinator expressed dismay at the incident and called on ā€œall parties to respect the right of religious freedom, granting access to holy sites for worshipers of all faiths and refraining from provocations not least during religious holidays.ā€ ā€¦

PHOTOS: Christians face barriers to Easter worship in Jerusalem | +972 Magazine

20140419-082816-palestine-0013.jpg

But despite earlier assurances of unhindered access to the church, Serry said in a statement, the Israeli police refused to allow his group entry, saying they had orders to that effectā€¦. The special coordinator expressed dismay at the incident and called on ā€œall parties to respect the right of religious freedom, granting access to holy sites for worshipers of all faiths and refraining from provocations not least during religious holidays.ā€ ā€¦

PHOTOS: Christians face barriers to Easter worship in Jerusalem | +972 Magazine

I very much doubt that Christian tourists were denied complete access to their sites, if for no other reason than it would harm Israel's extremely lucrative tourism industry. Perhaps because of logistics, security or safety (some Christian Easter rituals require fires), some Palestinian worshippers were restricted. Newspapers tend to exaggerate situations. Having participated personally in the combined Jewish/Christian Feast of Tabernacles celebration some years ago, I can testify to the fact that religious festivals in Jerusalem are grand events.

Of course you doubt it. But the facts are the facts.

Archbishop condemns Israeli restrictions on Easter pilgrims

Maā€™an Agency. Friday, April 11, 2014

JERUSALEM (Maā€™an) ā€” Orthodox Archbishop Atallah Hanna condemned Israeli authorities on Thursday for imposing obstacles on Christians wishing to enter the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem to celebrate the upcoming Christian holiday of Easter.

ā€œThe restrictive measures constitute grave violation on the freedom of worship, and amount to discrimination against Christians because the occupation authorities want to negate Christian presence and create the impression of a Jewish-only city,ā€ the statement signed ā€œPalestinian Christian Organizations in Occupied East Jerusalemā€ read.

Archbishop condemns Israeli restrictions - Holy Land Principles

Holy Land Christians respond to Israeli police restrictions during Easter celebrations

Holy Land Christians respond to Israeli police restrictions during Easter celebrations Holy Land Christians, after hundreds of years of celebrating Easter in Jerusalem as the most important and significant holy week for Christianity, are being denied freedom of worship during this period by the Israeli occupation police.

Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Holy Fire Saturday, and Easter Sunday are the Holiest days celebrated in Jerusalem for Christians.

Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops - What's New

JERUSALEM (Maā€™an) ā€” Orthodox Archbishop Atallah Hanna condemned Israeli authorities on Thursday for imposing obstacles on Christians wishing to enter the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem to celebrate the upcoming Christian holiday of Easter.

ā€œThe restrictive measures constitute grave violation on the freedom of worship, and amount to discrimination against Christians because the occupation authorities want to negate Christian presence and create the impression of a Jewish-only city,ā€ the statement signed ā€œPalestinian Christian Organizations in Occupied East Jerusalemā€ read.

Holy Land Christians respond to Israeli police restrictions during Easter celebrations

Holy Land Christians respond to Israeli police restrictions during Easter celebrations Holy Land Christians, after hundreds of years of celebrating Easter in Jerusalem as the most important and significant holy week for Christianity, are being denied freedom of worship during this period by the Israeli occupation police.

Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Holy Fire Saturday, and Easter Sunday are the Holiest days celebrated in Jerusalem for Christians.

Turn the other cheek and practice forgiveness.

That's right, we are Christians. But we can point out that Shusha and Lipshtz are lying pieces of shit. Thank you for at least being truthful (and happy) about Jews preventing Christians from worshiping at our Holy sites.

That's right, we are Christians. But we can point out that Shusha and Lipshtz are lying pieces of shit. Thank you for at least being truthful (and happy) about Jews preventing Christians from worshiping at our Holy sites.
Such silly melodrama. Thank you for that chest-heaving pity-party of contrived whining.

There you go again Hollow Hollie, there was no melodrama at all, just statement of fact. Your confirmation of the fact was helpful however, thanks.

Second - there is no evidence that joint control (as exists now) has failed.

No evidence that joint control has failed?!

Except the fact that two of the three faiths which you claim the site is holy to are not permitted to hold services there.

Except the fact that two of the three faiths are not permitted to worship there.

Except the fact that two of the three faiths are not permitted to pray there.

Except the fact that two of the three faiths are not permitted to bring any recognizable item of their faith there.

Except the fact that access is restricted for two of the three faiths.

Except that members of at least one faith are harassed and screamed at when they visit the site.

Except that members of one faith stock weapons inside their supposedly holy place in order to harm people.

Except the fact that irreplaceable archeological finds are being taken by truckloads to the dump.

Except that those finds are then rejected as being authentic because they were not found in situ.

Except that one faith's history is being denied and erased.

That seems to me to be a colossal failure. Success would mean:

That all archeological finds are scrupulously preserved and protected in situ. That people of all faiths are permitted to visit at all times and be free from harassment or harm. That people of all faiths are able to hold worship services, to pray, to sit quietly in peaceful relationship with what they imagine G-d to be. That buildings for these purposes are able to be built, re-built or restored as long as they do not interfere with the existing buildings.

That would be success.

There is absolutely no guarantee that Israeli-alone control would accomplish that or do better. Quite the opposite in fact since there are those among the Jews who believe a third temple should be built.

BULLSHIT The other religious sites controlled by Israel are open to all without restriction, so the evidence shows that you are spouting Islamic propaganda. The sites controlled by the arab muslims are closed to everyone but muslims, and the artifacts from other religions defaced, defiled and damaged

Those religious sites are controlled jointly by Israel and the Waqf.

Again - There is absolutely no guarantee that Israeli-alone control would accomplish that or do better.

LINK to prove your false claim, as in the case of the Temple mount Israel handed full control to the Jordanian waqf in 1967

Sole Israeli control because the international community and the Muslim community are demonstrably unable to preserve Jewish culture and Jewish rights.

I disagree, on several fronts.

First the Muslim community DID preserve those sites prior to the establishment of Israel, did they not?

Then you are either reading a different set of history books to the rest of the members or you are spouting islamonazi propaganda. Just look at the Church built there by the Christians that was demolished and replaced by a carbuncle to islam. Or the Jewish grave markers used to line a sewer, the remains dug up and thrown on a refuse heap. How is that preserving the site ?
So there are no attacks on Jews from muslims on or around the Temple Mount. No rocks dropped on the heads of Jews praying at the western wall, no stone's petrol bombs, fireworks thrown at Jews entering the Temple mount to start a riot .

You keep up the idiotic screeching of "islamonazi propoganda" but your inability to look beyond the last few years indicates a failure of reading comprehension.. (Review your history books).

Islam controlled the Middle East for over a thousand years. Many of the great monuments of older religions still stand. So clearly, Islam did a decent enough job of protecting them. The main threat now is extremist militias looting, pillaging and destroying that history. The lesser threat is who controls what in Jerusalem.

Currently, there is a lot of tension surrounding holy sites in Jerusalem - and it is driven by a mixture of emotions, conspiracy theory and bits of truth. There is a small fanatical group of Jewish extremists who believe they must tear down the Al Aqsa Mosque and build the Third Temple. This has driven an unfortunately widely believed conspiracy theory that Israel intends to destroy it and feeds every alarmist reaction to any attempted change on Israel's part even clearly reasonable ones like an umbrella at an entrance. How do you address that? I have no idea, but it's another reason why I believe joint control is so critical.

I say differently as the muslims have destroyed whenever they could in the last 1400 years anything that came before islam. Just look at the damage done to ancient ruins by Daesh in Palmyra. The Jewish artefacts thrown away from the Temple mount, the Christian churches destroyed or damaged.
Many of the ancient monuments have been defaced by the muslims both arab and non arab, and it is still going on today, look at what happens to Rachels Tomb on a regular basis when the Palestinians have their control of it.

And the arab muslims make a mountain out of a grain of sand again because it suits their propaganda and rhetoric. The group wanting the destruction is of no importance and no authority, but this does not stop the Palestinians from LYING about "Zionist" atrocities and breaches of international laws. Maybe a concerted effort by the rest of the world to dismantle the eyesores and have them shipped to the road outside Medina where the original Al Aqsa mosque stood would solve the issue.

That is complete bullshit. You are talking about damage done quite recently in the scheme of things by extremist groups such as ISIS and Taliban.

How long have those ancient ruins in Palmyra been preserved Phoenal and WHO preserved them?

And hamas, fatah, muslim brotherhood et al in Egypt, gaza, west bank and Jerusalem.

You do know where Rachels Tomb is don't you ?

And youe source is an islamonazi pallywood propaganda outlet from Iran

No evidence that joint control has failed?!

Except the fact that two of the three faiths which you claim the site is holy to are not permitted to hold services there.

Except the fact that two of the three faiths are not permitted to worship there.

Except the fact that two of the three faiths are not permitted to pray there.

Except the fact that two of the three faiths are not permitted to bring any recognizable item of their faith there.

Except the fact that access is restricted for two of the three faiths.

Except that members of at least one faith are harassed and screamed at when they visit the site.

Except that members of one faith stock weapons inside their supposedly holy place in order to harm people.

Except the fact that irreplaceable archeological finds are being taken by truckloads to the dump.

Except that those finds are then rejected as being authentic because they were not found in situ.

Except that one faith's history is being denied and erased.

That seems to me to be a colossal failure. Success would mean:

That all archeological finds are scrupulously preserved and protected in situ. That people of all faiths are permitted to visit at all times and be free from harassment or harm. That people of all faiths are able to hold worship services, to pray, to sit quietly in peaceful relationship with what they imagine G-d to be. That buildings for these purposes are able to be built, re-built or restored as long as they do not interfere with the existing buildings.

That would be success.

There is absolutely no guarantee that Israeli-alone control would accomplish that or do better. Quite the opposite in fact since there are those among the Jews who believe a third temple should be built.

BULLSHIT The other religious sites controlled by Israel are open to all without restriction, so the evidence shows that you are spouting Islamic propaganda. The sites controlled by the arab muslims are closed to everyone but muslims, and the artifacts from other religions defaced, defiled and damaged

Those religious sites are controlled jointly by Israel and the Waqf.

Again - There is absolutely no guarantee that Israeli-alone control would accomplish that or do better.

LINK to prove your false claim, as in the case of the Temple mount Israel handed full control to the Jordanian waqf in 1967

Management and access

See also: Temple Mount entry restrictions

Sign in Hebrew and English outside the Temple Mount stating the Chief Rabbinate's preference that no person should enter the site, since it is the holiest site in Judaism

An Islamic Waqf has managed the Temple Mount continuously since the Muslim reconquest of the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem in 1187. On June 7, 1967, soon after Israel had taken control of the area during the Six-Day War, Prime Minister Levi Eshkol assured that "no harm whatsoever shall come to the places sacred to all religions". Together with the extension of Israeli jurisdiction and administration over east Jerusalem, the Knesset passed the Preservation of the Holy Places Law,[74] ensuring protection of the Holy Places against desecration, as well as freedom of access thereto.[75] The site remains within the area controlled by the State of Israel, with administration of the site remaining in the hands of the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf.

Although freedom of access was enshrined in the law, as a security measure, the Israeli government currently enforces a ban on non-Muslim prayer on the site. Non-Muslims who are observed praying on the site are subject to expulsion by the police.[76] At various times, when there is fear of Arab rioting upon the mount resulting in throwing stones from above towards the Western Wall Plaza, Israel has prevented Muslim men under 45 from praying in the compound, citing these concerns.[77] Sometimes such restrictions have coincided with Friday prayers during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.[78] Normally, West Bank Palestinians are allowed access to Jerusalem only during Islamic holidays, with access usually restricted to men over 35 and women of any age eligible for permits to enter the city.[79] Palestinian residents of Jerusalem, which because of Israel's annexation of Jerusalem, hold Israeli permanent residency cards, and Israeli Arabs, are permitted unrestricted access to the Temple Mount.

To me, that indicates a joint control/administration.

Forum List

Back