Jeeps sees a black bear...

Jeepers

Feb 11, 2008
Charleston SC
I was leaving the Smokey Mountains National park just north of Ashville today and a came acrossed a black bear meandering down the road. As a lifelong hiker I was puzzled to see a bear out of his element. Usually these are reclusive cats that are rarely seen. On my hike earlier, I came acrossed an outback campsite that was closed. THe reason for this was abnormally agressive bears... Things didnt much add up and I really didnt connect the dots till I ran into an offduty park ranger in the city. I told him of my bear experience and he went off on the reason. He said that the bears have had a bad go of it since this drought set in acrossed the region. I told him that next week they should get some remnants of Fay thinking this would cheer him up. Little did I know that storms like bring too much rain too soon. Most of it just runs off and creates erosion damage witout replenishing the water table. He told me that snow is whats needed. He said over the last decade that snow has been slow in coming and sparse in general. He said there are odd happenings in the natural world on the mountains. He said that salamanders have nearly vanished in the park and yellow jackets are now living at 4800 feet. For about an hour, (much to my wifes dismay) we spoke about the signifcance of the climate changes that he is witness to. It was an amazing conversation that I had with this guy that tied everything together. The agressive bears, the bears in the open out of their natural habitat, the salamanders and the yellow jackets..
the bears are starving because there has not been enough snow to water the blueberries during the dry season. The bears are on the move. The salamanders live in both water and land. They are most succeptible to any change in climate having to rely on both environments and the wasps have since moved to 4800 feet since the winters no longer are cool enough to kill em off...
Long story short, If anyone doubts global warming just go to the smokey mountains national park and talk to any of the rangers.
Oh.. if anyone needs a prosthetic ankle talk to James DeOrio at Duke hospital in Durham NC, since mine performed beyond belief on a three mile hike.

I was leaving the Smokey Mountains National park just north of Ashville today and a came acrossed a black bear meandering down the road. As a lifelong hiker I was puzzled to see a bear out of his element. Usually these are reclusive cats that are rarely seen. On my hike earlier, I came acrossed an outback campsite that was closed. THe reason for this was abnormally agressive bears... Things didnt much add up and I really didnt connect the dots till I ran into an offduty park ranger in the city. I told him of my bear experience and he went off on the reason. He said that the bears have had a bad go of it since this drought set in acrossed the region. I told him that next week they should get some remnants of Fay thinking this would cheer him up. Little did I know that storms like bring too much rain too soon. Most of it just runs off and creates erosion damage witout replenishing the water table. He told me that snow is whats needed. He said over the last decade that snow has been slow in coming and sparse in general. He said there are odd happenings in the natural world on the mountains. He said that salamanders have nearly vanished in the park and yellow jackets are now living at 4800 feet. For about an hour, (much to my wifes dismay) we spoke about the signifcance of the climate changes that he is witness to. It was an amazing conversation that I had with this guy that tied everything together. The agressive bears, the bears in the open out of their natural habitat, the salamanders and the yellow jackets..
the bears are starving because there has not been enough snow to water the blueberries during the dry season. The bears are on the move. The salamanders live in both water and land. They are most succeptible to any change in climate having to rely on both environments and the wasps have since moved to 4800 feet since the winters no longer are cool enough to kill em off...
Long story short, If anyone doubts global warming just go to the smokey mountains national park and talk to any of the rangers.
Oh.. if anyone needs a prosthetic ankle talk to James DeOrio at Duke hospital in Durham NC, since mine performed beyond belief on a three mile hike.

The bears, salamnders and yellow jackets are pretty much doing the same thing they always do in Austin. Maybe it's a localized thing.

If you REALLY miss those yellowjackets I'm sure we can spare a few million of them for you.

Where I think you have missed on the argument, and quite a few of the nuts do is that few people I have seen doubt or deny global warming. It's obvious in the weather here. We used to get snow occasionally here, but definitely weather into the 30s and 40s (remember, this TX not Maine). I think it got below 40 about 3-4 times this past winter.

The issue I take is the "man-made" portion of the argument with the chicken littles running around saying "we gotta do something" when they don't even know what the actual cause is. I'm a firm believer in identifying the exact cause of a problem before implementing a fix.

If this is a cyclical change in the Earth's temperature; which, has happened more than a few times in the past, then I don't see that there's a whole lot we can do about it.

Then there's the fact that IMO, urban sprawl is a bigger threat to our environment and natural wildlife than any negligible climate change. These animals have survived climate changes before.

Maybe youre an idiot...eh.. I guess its something you always do in austin...

Why did you comment the above to this .....

Originally Posted by dilloduck
The bears, salamnders and yellow jackets are pretty much doing the same thing they always do in Austin. Maybe it's a localized thing.

Are you a natural born smart@$$ .... or were you not looking for a serious reply :confused:

:eusa_eh: of course you care! what about the fishies?

you're just resigned to the fact that it is bigger than any of us...right?

way bigger than anything we can handle---clean up the air--fine---clean up the water--fine. Give the entire a good scrubbling or we will all drown ? I dont care. I can swim.

I'm noticing changes in the migratory patterns of birds here in the Maine coastal flyway.

This spring I counted four bird species I'd never seen before. I've only indentified one of them, so far.

Admitted I've only been paying attention to the comings and going of birds here on this land for the last two decades.

But that's long enough for me to know what birds to expect to see during the course of a year, and when those birds can be expected to come and go through the wetlands next to my land.

The birds apparently seem to know that the climate is changing, even if some of us aren't yet aware of it.

FYI, every year some species of insect seems to dominate the summer...this is the year of the snails.

And not those cute snails with the shells, either. No such luck, its those little blogs of protoplasm that are worth nothing except to get stuck between your toes when you're walking across the lawn.

Yech!

Btw .... congrats on your prosthetic ankle. Too bad the doctor couldn't do something with your attitude. :cuckoo:

Thanks... My wife however is a therapist she's been working on the attitude for years.. She probably thinks its a lost cause...

On a side note.. going to try a 4.2 mile trail today...

If you REALLY miss those yellowjackets I'm sure we can spare a few million of them for you.

Where I think you have missed on the argument, and quite a few of the nuts do is that few people I have seen doubt or deny global warming. It's obvious in the weather here. We used to get snow occasionally here, but definitely weather into the 30s and 40s (remember, this TX not Maine). I think it got below 40 about 3-4 times this past winter.

The issue I take is the "man-made" portion of the argument with the chicken littles running around saying "we gotta do something" when they don't even know what the actual cause is. I'm a firm believer in identifying the exact cause of a problem before implementing a fix.

If this is a cyclical change in the Earth's temperature; which, has happened more than a few times in the past, then I don't see that there's a whole lot we can do about it.

Then there's the fact that IMO, urban sprawl is a bigger threat to our environment and natural wildlife than any negligible climate change. These animals have survived climate changes before.

Yeah, I know that few dispute the warming aspect. I just posted this after reading some of the global cooling thread... Doesnt look like the vast majority of the black bears here are gonna make it though.. not enough food to over winter apparently..

Last edited:
One of the misnomers, or at least one of the annoying aspects of Global Warming is that it makes us assume that it will get warmer everywhere on earth.

This is, of course, absurd.

Changing patterns in climate happens can mean all sorts of unexpected weather including exceptionally cold weather in places were such events are very uncommon.

Again, for the slow, no one doubts we have had a warming period. HOWEVER we do doubt that man is the major contributor to the heat increase. Again for those not aware every planet in this solar system over this period, that we have monitored, has shown similar raises in heat. Did man cause those too?

Someone posted a graph of the temperature of some thousands of years and it looked exactly like the pattern from those earlier increases.

Again, for the slow, no one doubts we have had a warming period. HOWEVER we do doubt that man is the major contributor to the heat increase. Again for those not aware every planet in this solar system over this period, that we have monitored, has shown similar raises in heat. Did man cause those too?

Someone posted a graph of the temperature of some thousands of years and it looked exactly like the pattern from those earlier increases.

I am not at all sure what all is causing this apparent trend toward a warmer earth.

I am inclined to think that mankind spewing enormous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere certainly has something to do with it.

But as to that being the sole cause of it?

I don't really know.

But what I do know is this...

Pretty much they same players who refused to believe that the climate was changing not so very long ago, now, when the evidence is overwhelming that it is, are going on and on about how they know makind has nothing to do with it.

Now, the same players who first warned us about this trend, are pretty sure that the correlation between industrialization and manmade CO2 is well established.

So should we count on those who refused to even acknowledge the truth until they had absolutely no choice, for opinions about why it is happening?

Or...

..should we count on the scientists who warned us it was happening, and who also have a very science based explaination to explain its root cause, too.

Hmmm...not a very tough decision for me to make.

I'm going to go with the people who actually understood the problem and warned us about it DECADES before most people even admitted that they were right.

I am not at all sure what all is causing this apparent trend toward a warmer earth.

I am inclined to think that mankind spewing enormous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere certainly has something to do with it.

But as to that being the sole cause of it?

I don't really know.

But what I do know is this...

Pretty much they same players who refused to believe that the climate was changing not so very long ago, now, when the evidence is overwhelming that it is, are going on and on about how they know makind has nothing to do with it.

Now, the same players who first warned us about this trend, are pretty sure that the correlation between industrialization and manmade CO2 is well established.

So should we count on those who refused to even acknowledge the truth until they had absolutely no choice, for opinions about why it is happening?

Or...

..should we count on the scientists who warned us it was happening, and who also have a very science based explaination to explain its root cause, too.

Hmmm...not a very tough decision for me to make.

I'm going to go with the people who actually understood the problem and warned us about it DECADES before most people even admitted that they were right.

BULLSHIT. Again few people dispute that the planet warmed. That is just your attempt to distract. And there is no consensus on who\at caused it and no working theory on how man is the culprit.

Interesting read .... Global Warming and Bible Prophecy (No. 218)

People speak about Global Warming as though it is a long-term or far-off problem. Many think it will be 100 years before the ocean rises 60 centimetres (2 feet). The Bible has a lot to say about the climatic conditions in the Last Days. What does it say about Global Warming? Is it all that far off, and what do we have to do about it or what can we do about it?

:eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back