Jeeps sees a black bear...

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Jeepers, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Jeepers

Jeepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I was leaving the Smokey Mountains National park just north of Ashville today and a came acrossed a black bear meandering down the road. As a lifelong hiker I was puzzled to see a bear out of his element. Usually these are reclusive cats that are rarely seen. On my hike earlier, I came acrossed an outback campsite that was closed. THe reason for this was abnormally agressive bears... Things didnt much add up and I really didnt connect the dots till I ran into an offduty park ranger in the city. I told him of my bear experience and he went off on the reason. He said that the bears have had a bad go of it since this drought set in acrossed the region. I told him that next week they should get some remnants of Fay thinking this would cheer him up. Little did I know that storms like bring too much rain too soon. Most of it just runs off and creates erosion damage witout replenishing the water table. He told me that snow is whats needed. He said over the last decade that snow has been slow in coming and sparse in general. He said there are odd happenings in the natural world on the mountains. He said that salamanders have nearly vanished in the park and yellow jackets are now living at 4800 feet. For about an hour, (much to my wifes dismay) we spoke about the signifcance of the climate changes that he is witness to. It was an amazing conversation that I had with this guy that tied everything together. The agressive bears, the bears in the open out of their natural habitat, the salamanders and the yellow jackets..
    the bears are starving because there has not been enough snow to water the blueberries during the dry season. The bears are on the move. The salamanders live in both water and land. They are most succeptible to any change in climate having to rely on both environments and the wasps have since moved to 4800 feet since the winters no longer are cool enough to kill em off...
    Long story short, If anyone doubts global warming just go to the smokey mountains national park and talk to any of the rangers.
    Oh.. if anyone needs a prosthetic ankle talk to James DeOrio at Duke hospital in Durham NC, since mine performed beyond belief on a three mile hike.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The bears, salamnders and yellow jackets are pretty much doing the same thing they always do in Austin. Maybe it's a localized thing.

3. Jeepers

Jeepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Maybe youre an idiot...eh.. I guess its something you always do in austin...

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    If you REALLY miss those yellowjackets I'm sure we can spare a few million of them for you.

Where I think you have missed on the argument, and quite a few of the nuts do is that few people I have seen doubt or deny global warming. It's obvious in the weather here. We used to get snow occasionally here, but definitely weather into the 30s and 40s (remember, this TX not Maine). I think it got below 40 about 3-4 times this past winter.

The issue I take is the "man-made" portion of the argument with the chicken littles running around saying "we gotta do something" when they don't even know what the actual cause is. I'm a firm believer in identifying the exact cause of a problem before implementing a fix.

If this is a cyclical change in the Earth's temperature; which, has happened more than a few times in the past, then I don't see that there's a whole lot we can do about it.

Then there's the fact that IMO, urban sprawl is a bigger threat to our environment and natural wildlife than any negligible climate change. These animals have survived climate changes before.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    no doubt--I'm an idiot. Even if some catastrophic warming is occuring, I don't care. I really don't.

6. Glori.B

Glori.B Born Free

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120

:eusa_eh: jeepers creepers, jeepers! speaking of bears! :eek:

:eusa_whistle:

7. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Why did you comment the above to this .....

Are you a natural born smart@$$ .... or were you not looking for a serious reply :confused:

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    yes---I'm a natural born smart ass ( if your'e speaking to me ) :lol:

9. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the smart@$$ that came back and to your answer as a bonafide smart@$$! :doubt:

10. Glori.B

Glori.B Born Free

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    :eusa_eh: of course you care! what about the fishies?

you're just resigned to the fact that it is bigger than any of us...right?