Jeeps sees a black bear...

Plant growth is CO2 sequestration. Some schemes target algae directly. I don't think sequestration is money down the hole.

There are four basically different plans to sequester CO2. Pump it into the earth, Pump it into a very cold submarine environment (essentially stimulate methane clathrate formation) Stimulate algae growth, and I forget the fourth.

You can't rely entirely on terrestrial plants to absorb the CO2 though. Annual plants only remove the CO2 for a season, and we are deforesting. Reforestation (to the extent that it is underway) is a good thing. Nevertheless, the increase in CO2 over the past 100+ years can be traced to carbon that had been essentially permanently sunk (250 million year old fossil carbon). The equilibrium has to shift when you do this, and I don't see mathematically how you can sequester the excess CO2 into plants (entirely) particularly given our conversion of forests to croplands (long term sink --> short term sink).

It's nice to see that people here are familiar with this stuff!!

Most plant activity occurs in the oceans, babe.

Rescind Jimmy Carters moratorium that prevents reprocessing of nuclear waste and reduce it by 90%. The rest gets stored at Yucca Mountain until we figure out how to get the energy of it, too.

If carter was a big problem, why didnt the republican houses and congress overturn any of those regulations.. they already had overturned provisions of Carters Clean Air Act...

OK, great, fine, there is a global warming problem. So how do we fix it? Let me take a guess: No cars, no planes, no trucks, no heating for the house, no AC, no smoking, no factories, and most of all no farting! So after man kills himself can we finally say we did everything we could to stop global warming if the temp keeps going up?

Why do you even bother? There are many things we can do without limiting farting... If you are serious about discussing alternatives, lets give it a go...

This is because "animals" are smarter than humans! :eusa_angel:

jellystone.jpg

Working out in the sun day in and day out makes me feel like Global Warming is all to real.....then again...maybe I'm just sick of construction work. I'm not going to compare my feelings of the work day on Global incidents though.

I liked George Carlins feelings on the whole issue.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljNDbKpusT0]YouTube - George Carlin on Global Warming[/ame]

LOLOL!! Right on brother!!

Seriously, any plan that reduces the economy is not a good one. But, would you agree that any plan that is cost effective and creates american jobs might be a win-win?

Hey like i said if it helps our economy and also "helps" the environment I am all for it! I just don't like the whole kill our way of life thing that is going on right now. In a previous post I stated we needed to find alternative energy and I am all for it but i just like to debate certain things. I think everyone would agree you can't just end our way of life. There has to be some type of plan that is affordable to the average American. Thats all i am saying.

There was a very controversial paper in Nature that the ban on air flight following 9/11 had a statistically meaningful (and dramatic, immediate) effect on temperature.

In that case I think it might have had to do with particulate reduction in the atmosphere but not sure. Did you see it?

Proof that reducing CO2 will reduce temp is hard to come by since we haven't tried it.....

No I can't say that I have. I will have to look that up.

Nice deflection.

Not deflection actually.. I am serious.. You cats bitch and moan about carter and clinton and illegals etc.. and you had controll of both houses and the senate... you could have.. you should have fixed all of societies ills...

Not deflection actually.. I am serious.. You cats bitch and moan about carter and clinton and illegals etc.. and you had controll of both houses and the senate... you could have.. you should have fixed all of societies ills...
Actually the Republicans had control of both houses and the Presidency at the same time. Unfortunately, only about 1/2 of these politicians can be considered conservative.

Also, it is the Liberals who believe that government can cure all of societies ills. Conservatives think nearly the opposite.

Actually the Republicans had control of both houses and the Presidency at the same time. Unfortunately, only about 1/2 of these politicians can be considered conservative.

Also, it is the Liberals who believe that government can cure all of societies ills. Conservatives think nearly the opposite.

Ok.. when I say both houses, I mean the house of reps and the white house... the senate is the odd man out.. and I mention it separately.. but thanks for trying to correct me on that.. You did however confirm you knowlege that republicans controlled all three. Now, we can see in your statements the revistionist history at work... Republicans have been marching in lockstep for the last seven years... The conservatives could have rammed anything through congress that they wanted. Hell, even your maverick voted with bush 93% of the time...

BTW.. societal ills from a conservative perspective are social programs and the problems they create...

Ok.. when I say both houses, I mean the house of reps and the white house... the senate is the odd man out.. and I mention it separately.. but thanks for trying to correct me on that.. You did however confirm you knowlege that republicans controlled all three. Now, we can see in your statements the revistionist history at work... Republicans have been marching in lockstep for the last seven years... The conservatives could have rammed anything through congress that they wanted. Hell, even your maverick voted with bush 93% of the time...

BTW.. societal ills from a conservative perspective are social programs and the problems they create...

The conservative wing has never been in "lock step" with the rest of the GOP.

McCain is no conservative- he's only about 1/2 way there.

The Libs like to bring up this 90% (now you claim 93%) agreement with Bush, yet they fail to mention:
1. Lots of bills in the Senate are complete BS and are unanimous;
2. any Republican who's % agreement is less.

The conservative wing has never been in "lock step" with the rest of the GOP.

McCain is no conservative- he's only about 1/2 way there.

The Libs like to bring up this 90% (now you claim 93%) agreement with Bush, yet they fail to mention:
1. Lots of bills in the Senate are complete BS and are unanimous;
2. any Republican who's % agreement is less.

YOu mean BS like the forty or so bills that made the lives of our vets worse...

THAT is an excellent complaint, Jeep.

In fact, the Dems had control for decades and failed in multiple way to get things right.

Carter, was screwed by his fellow Dems, folks.

He saw what was coming down the pike and warned us about it, but the Kennedy clan was so set on business as usual (Carter tried to eliminate pork, ya know?) that they divided the party and handed the nation to Reagan.

Careter's defeat is more complex than that, of course, but I'm only referring now to why the Dems failed to deal with the energy crises when it first reared it ugly head.

THAT is an excellent complaint, Jeep.

In fact, the Dems had control for decades and failed in multiple way to get things right.

Carter, was screwed by his fellow Dems, folks.

He saw what was coming down the pike and warned us about it, but the Kennedy clan was so set on business as usual (Carter tried to eliminate pork, ya know?) that they divided the party and handed the nation to Reagan.

Careter's defeat is more complex than that, of course, but I'm only referring now to why the Dems failed to deal with the energy crises when it first reared it ugly head.
Excelent point back at ya... Carters failures are the subject of many theses... yet I like to put the finger on good intentions in a land without... Carter did not have access to the mechanisms of change. He ran as an outsider. Was elected as an outsider. And, when he went to washington, he was treated like an outsider.. The results were poor to mixed at best.

This is actually why I like the Biden pick. Barack is the change agent and Biden is the facilitator...

Forum List

Back