Jam, jelly or preserves?

Jam, jelly or preserves?

• Total voters
What I've always called jam, is apparently conserves. I have been making my own for so many years I don't know what they sell in the stores.

As for the homemade variety......jelly is made from the juice of the berries or fruits....and jam is a mix of both juice & pieces of fruit. Both are good.

But I'll go with jam

Jam and preserves are neck in neck! How exciting! Want to place bets? :D

One has a higher percentage of horse hooves in it, care to guess which? :banana:

I don't know where you get your jam or preserves, but that is not listed in the ingredients in the stuff I'm buying!

Jam and preserves are neck in neck! How exciting! Want to place bets? :D

One has a higher percentage of horse hooves in it, care to guess which? :banana:

I don't know where you get your jam or preserves, but that is not listed in the ingredients in the stuff I'm buying!

Yeah, they kinda leave that part out.

Whoops, that's Jell-o, not jell-e. :oops:

Jelly

and as a related inquiry

PB&J

to me it's Peanut butter and grape jelly some of you weirdos use strawberry jelly

:rolleyes: Just pick one and stop being so anal about it.

:D
anal - another word for 'technically speaking'...not that there's a thing wrong with that!

Since I don't dwell in technicalities, nor in England - in my tiny corner of the world, marmalade is made with citrus, pulp and peel - jam is distinguished from preserves by the chunkiness of the fruit.

For many years I made my own jam - and still make orange marmalade every January. Pears were always turned into 'preserves' - the home grown pears were hard and gritty - commonly called sand pears - shredded, cooked until tender with sugar and lemon juice - sometimes adding crushed pineapple. Not overly sweet and delicious on ice cream.

I've never made my own before. I bet that is soooo good.

Try it! It's really easy and tastes so much better than any store-bought. I've only used the boxed, premeasured Sure-Jell or MCP and each box has detailed instructions for the type you want to make. No cook freezer jam/jelly can't be beat hands down, but even cooked is better than store bought. I've only done freezer jam once, it was good but I don't have enough room in my freezer to keep several batches of jam/jelly/marmalade that we can go thru in any given year. So I always make cooked jam......strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and most years we go thru a lot. Last year too much was going on and even though I made those I also made grape jelly & orange marmalade and we haven't used any of it.

Go to Walmart or other type store & buy a box of jelly jars around $10, a box of pectin (here Wally's sells Sure-Jell in a 2-pack), if you want jelly instead of jam (or preserves/conserves) pick up some cheesecloth or large strainer. Your first time will be a bit expensive, but it's an investment. In the future, you'll only need to buy the flat lids and whatever ingredients. Those jars & ring bands are reusable, so be sure to keep them on hand for another 'jammin' session in the future.

If I remember correctly, it takes about 5 1/2 C. crushed berries/juice and around 7 C sugar per batch....depending on the method (cooked/freezer) and the type of fruit used....you may also need lemon juice. Full instructions & ingredients needed is in the box of pectin......read it over several times before you begin, just so you know what you need and the process used. Follow those instructions to the letter and don't deviate in any way......especially as a first timer. With one possible exception........putting the jars thru a water bath canner for 15(?) minutes

When I fill the jar (I only do one at a time), wipe the rim, put on the hot flat lid & screw band......I put them upside down on a towel on the counter. After 10-15 minutes turn them right side up. The flat lid should 'pop' within a few minutes indicating the jar is sealed. If for some reason it doesn't after it's cooled, then use that jar first.

If you choose to can or process them in a canner, you don't have to buy an official water bath canner......but can use a stock pot with a towel in the bottom to keep the jars from touching each other. The pot must be tall enough to hold enough water that covers the jars by an inch or more.

It all may SOUND difficult, but it really isn't and the whole process should take less than 2 hours at most....from cleaning your berries to putting away the filled jars.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between jelly and jam? I ask because I once got a jar of jam by mistake and my mom was not all too thrilled about it.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between jelly and jam? I ask because I once got a jar of jam by mistake and my mom was not all too thrilled about it.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

Jelly is made from just the juice of berries.....no pieces of fruit. Jam does have fruit & juice mixed together

Forum List

Back