Jackie Tyrrell won’t be swapping his hurl for a baseball glove any time soon

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
“I brought a hurl and a ball. A few of them had actually heard of it (hurling). But they couldn’t believe that the players were amateurs. I was pucking with them. They catch the ball with the glove and at one stage I was pucking with a guy only 20 yards away into his hand but the coach came over and told him to stop pucking because he feared he would break a finger or something like that.

“I showed them my fingers. Over there I was trying to catch the ball with the glove and I just couldn’t do it, the ball kept popping out. You have to catch it up high in the glove rather than in the palm of your hand.

“So I took off the glove and they thought I was crazy. They were saying ‘you won’t catch it, you won’t catch it’ but it was just like catching a hurling ball. You’ll see it in the documentary, they are saying ‘this Irish guy is crazy’ and that kind of thing.

“I suppose it just shows GAA players put their bodies on the line whereas they are a lot more padded, they are wearing gloves and things like that.”

No place like home for Tyrrell after MLB adventure Daily News GAA News GAA.ie

Forum List

Back