J.D. Hayworth Says US Never Declared War On Germany

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Hayworth: 'In My History' U.S. Didn't Formally Declare War On Nazi Germany (VIDEO) | TPMDC

While speaking last week to a local GOP organization in Phoenix, Hayworth was asked by an attendee about America's failure to formally declare war in our modern conflicts. Hayworth defended the modern-day authorizations for the use of military force. "But I would also point out, that if we want to be sticklers, the war that Dwight Eisenhower led in Europe against the Third Reich was never declared by the United States Congress," said Hayworth. "Recall, the Congress passed a war resolution against Japan. Germany declared war on us two days later. We never formally declared war on Hitler's Germany, and yet we fought the war."

The questioner then responded that he thought the United States did declare on Germany, and he would check it. Hayworth responded: "I think we should check it. Perhaps we made the rationalization -- since there was the Axis alliance -- that the attack of Japan was tantamount to the attack of the Third Reich. But as I recall in my history, Germany declared war on the United States, not vice-versa."

In fact, the United states did declare war on Germany. The timeline goes as follows: Japan attacked the U.S. Naval base at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The United States declared war against Japan the next day, December 8, 1941. Then on December 11, 1941, Germany declared war against the United States -- to which the United States immediately reciprocated by declaring war against Germany that same day.

The video of Hayworth was live-streamed by the local GOP organization. It was then captured and posted online by an anti-Hayworth tracker. We were unable to immediately reach Hayworth's campaign for comment.

Last edited:
I was with Hayworth on this. I assumed (not a good thing to do, evah) that when we declared war with one ally, we were declaring war on all its allies.

This kind of hair splitting about the events of 70 years ago is really relevant to today's business.

It's interesting that someone running for the Senate doesn't know that basic history.

it's not basic history, you partisan hack piece of shit. War was declared by the US as a formality.

It was offered up as basic history by the GOP moron. :lol:

"But I would also point out, that if we want to be sticklers, the war that Dwight Eisenhower led in Europe against the Third Reich was never declared by the United States Congress," said Hayworth. "Recall, the Congress passed a war resolution against Japan. Germany declared war on us two days later. We never formally declared war on Hitler's Germany, and yet we fought the war."

The questioner then responded that he thought the United States did declare on Germany, and he would check it. Hayworth responded: "I think we should check it. Perhaps we made the rationalization -- since there was the Axis alliance -- that the attack of Japan was tantamount to the attack of the Third Reich. But as I recall in my history, Germany declared war on the United States, not vice-versa."
:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Last edited:
Not too worried about it. Our President said he's been to 57 states.

misspeaking on ones feet is not the same thing as saying one knows some historical event for a fact that is totally untrue.

Really? I think being mistaken about a historical fact that most people probably don't know is much different then being mistaken about geography that 1st graders do know.

It's interesting that someone running for the Senate doesn't know that basic history.

it's not basic history, you partisan hack piece of shit. War was declared by the US as a formality.

It was offered up as basic history by the GOP moron. :lol:

"But I would also point out, that if we want to be sticklers, the war that Dwight Eisenhower led in Europe against the Third Reich was never declared by the United States Congress," said Hayworth. "Recall, the Congress passed a war resolution against Japan. Germany declared war on us two days later. We never formally declared war on Hitler's Germany, and yet we fought the war."

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:
The Avalon Project : Declarations of a State of War with Japan, Germany, and Italy

DECLARATION OF STATE OF WAR WITH GERMANY

Mr. Connally, from the Committee on Foreign Relations, reported an original joint resolution (S. J. Res. 119) declaring that a state of war exists between the Government of Germany and the Government and the people of the United States, and making provision to prosecute the same, which was read the first time by its title, and the second time at length, as follows:

"Whereas the Government of Germany has formally declared war against the Government and the people of the United States of America: Therefore be it

"Resolved, etc., That the state of war between the United States and the Government of Germany, which has thus been thrust upon the United states, is hereby formally declared;
and the President is hereby authorized and directed to employ the entire naval and military forces of the United States and the resources of the Government to carry on war against the Government of Germany; and, to bring the conflict to a successful termination, all of the resources of the country are hereby pledged by the Congress of the United States."

Mr. CONNALLY. Mr. President, I shall presently ask unanimous consent for the immediate consideration of the joint resolution just read to the Senate. Before the request is submitted, however, I desire to say that, being advised of the declaration of war upon the United States by the Governments of Germany and Italy, and anticipating a message by the President of the United States in relation thereto, and after a conference with the Secretary of State, as chairman of the Committee on Foreign Relations, I called a meeting of the committee this morning and submitted to the committee the course I expected to pursue as chairman and the request which I expected to make.

I am authorized by the Committee on Foreign Relations to say to the Senate that after consideration of the text of the joint resolution which I have reported and after mature consideration of all aspects of this matter, the membership of the Committee on Foreign Relations unanimously approve and agree to the course suggested. One member of the committee was absent, but I have authority to express his views.

Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent for the present consideration of the joint resolution.

The VICE PRESIDENT. Is there objection?

There being no objection, the Senate proceeded to consider the joint resolution (S. J. Res. 119) declaring that a state of war exists between the Government of Germany and the Government and the people of the United States, and making provision to prosecute the same.

The VICE PRESIDENT. The question is on the engrossment and third reading of the joint resolution.

The joint resolution was ordered to be engrossed for a third reading, and was read the third time.

The VICE PRESIDENT. The joint resolution having been read the third time, the question is, Shall it pass?

Mr. CONNALLY. On that question I ask for the yeas and nays.

The yeas and nays were ordered, and the Chief Clerk proceeded to call the roll.

The result was announced yeas 88, nays 0.

So the joint resolution (S. J. Res. 119) was passed.

The preamble was agreed to.

Franklin_Roosevelt_signing_declaration_of_war_against_Germany.jpg

Franklin Roosevelt signing declaration of war against Germany

Last edited:
Not too worried about it. Our President said he's been to 57 states.

misspeaking on ones feet is not the same thing as saying one knows some historical event for a fact that is totally untrue.

Really? I think being mistaken about a historical fact that most people probably don't know is much different then being mistaken about geography that 1st graders do know.

You want us to believe you believe Obama doesn't know how many states there are? :lol:

stop spouting shit. you know Obama misspoke. We all do it.

and btw, The US declaring war on Germany is what they teach to grade school children.

Most people you know probably don't know about Nazi Germany and WWII because you were all most likely home schooled by white supremacists. :eek:

WTF is your problem, pal?

That's unsat, in no uncertain terms.

S/HE's the POS??? Got mirrors? :rofl:

Formality? Seriously?

That's sort of like saying, Hey! You were in the church for the wedding ceremony, so you're now married!

If it wasn't DIRECTED at YOU? You aren't.

Amazing how that works... :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back