Zone1 It's time to stop using "African American". They are Americans that are black.

Resnic

Diamond Member
May 2, 2021
You can stop saying African Americans. We're past that. We don't call white people European Americans, we don't have German Americans or Indian Americans. Calling blacks African Americans is giving them special attention and treatment just for being black.

Besides, there are millions of white people who live in Africa for a very very long time. No one calls Elon musk a African American or Charlize Theron African American but they are from Africa that became Americans.

Besides there is no such thing as African American. If you're born in Africa then you're African, if you're born in America you're American.

You're having your language dictated by liberals and what the MSM tells you what's appropriate. They tell you it's what you should call them. But they never tell blacks they shouldn't call white people white because they say that, a lot.

Almost all the blacks in America were born here so they are American. It's time to stop pretending they deserve their own special titles that no one else gets.

Calling blacks African Americans is giving them special attention and treatment just for being black.
1. I think that some people use the term "African American" because it just sounds more respectful than the blunt word "Black." (Which is now capitalized to show respect.)

2. I think that you are right: some (many? most?) people are tired of all this special attention & treatment being given to them 24/7 by the media and certain politicians, such as President Biden.

How does black Americans calling themselves "African-Americans" makes them equal to anyone?

If anything, that makes them separate.

This ranks somewhere in the triple digits of problems with the country.

I can't believe people sit around stressing over things like this.

How about JUST AMERICANS?

There is no reason to divide Americans because of skin tone. It does NOTHING good for anyone.

ON EDIT....

Actually it does help political sociopaths in the democrook criminal syndicate, which means it's detrimental to all of the good citizens in our country. That's the case on any issue. If democrooks are happy, people are suffering undeserved hardship as a result.

I was born here 94 years ago. But my DNA is swedish so I refer to myself as a swedish american.

I agree to a point. It is clumsy and a little PC, and I can see how some could see it as divisive in some situations. I remember reading that Whoopi Goldberg hates the term; she's not African, she said, she's Black. I usually just default to "Black," just for brevity and commonality.

On the other hand, what about "Asian American"? "Americans of Asian ancestry" is way too clumsy, and color-coding it is out of the question. So maybe it just has to be there sometimes.

1. I think that some people use the term "African American" because it just sounds more respectful than the blunt word "Black." (Which is now capitalized to show respect.)
AP Style now capitalizes "Black" because there is an identifiable and separate Black culture, and cultures are capitalized. There is no separate white culture, so that one remains uncapitalized.

Chicago Style, on the other hand, doesn't capitalize either, so it isn't universal yet.

AP Style now capitalizes "Black" because there is an identifiable and separate Black culture, and cultures are capitalized. There is no separate white culture, so that one remains uncapitalized.

Chicago Style, on the other hand, doesn't capitalize either, so it isn't universal yet.
Thanks, I'll make it a point to never capitalize it as I certainly don't respect their FUBAR culture.

Thanks, I'll make it a point to never capitalize it as I certainly don't respect their FUBAR culture.
I expect that neither I nor the AP Style people will be able to reform you from that, so do your thing. Just keep it in mind if you're ever submitting an article to a place that follows AP.

You can stop saying African Americans. We're past that. We don't call white people European Americans, we don't have German Americans or Indian Americans. Calling blacks African Americans is giving them special attention and treatment just for being black.

Besides, there are millions of white people who live in Africa for a very very long time. No one calls Elon musk a African American or Charlize Theron African American but they are from Africa that became Americans.

Besides there is no such thing as African American. If you're born in Africa then you're African, if you're born in America you're American.

You're having your language dictated by liberals and what the MSM tells you what's appropriate. They tell you it's what you should call them. But they never tell blacks they shouldn't call white people white because they say that, a lot.

Almost all the blacks in America were born here so they are American. It's time to stop pretending they deserve their own special titles that no one else gets.
what one should call the "blacks", is up to the blacks, and changes per decade or 2 in my estimation.
like feminists and LGBTQ+ers come up with new words and definitions to describe themselves politely with to others.

and it's only common decency to allow all humans equal opportunity.
if that means a federally funded college fund for black kids, then so be it, i say.

Forum List

Back