It’s OK To Mourn For Our First Female President

585c1f6c1c00000a070ed13b.jpeg

We saw what happens when a woman dares to seek power. It was heartbreaking.

Six months ago I lay in bed with tears in my eyes. I was staring at my tiny iPhone screen, watching a larger-than-life woman stand before a packed crowd in Brooklyn, dressed all in white like some kind of goddess wizard, making history as she officially became the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

For the first time, a woman had a shot at real political power. For the first time, we could tell our daughters: You could be anything! And it would actually be true. As autumn approached, you could feel the excitement. Women were on the brink. On the morning of Election Day, they dressed in pantsuits and welled up, holding their little girls’ hands at the voting booth, posting adorable photos.

That night was a devastation. Ambitious women and girls across the country didn’t get a new role model. They got a smackdown.

Six months ago I lay in bed with tears in my eyes. I was staring at my tiny iPhone screen, watching a larger-than-life woman stand before a packed crowd in Brooklyn, dressed all in white like some kind of goddess wizard, making history as she officially became the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

For the first time, a woman had a shot at real political power. For the first time, we could tell our daughters: You could be anything! And it would actually be true. As autumn approached, you could feel the excitement. Women were on the brink. On the morning of Election Day, they dressed in pantsuits and welled up, holding their little girls’ hands at the voting booth, posting adorable photos.

That night was a devastation. Ambitious women and girls across the country didn’t get a new role model. They got a smackdown.

Though the sexism behind Clinton’s loss has hardly been a secret, it’s taken me awhile to truly grapple with what lays at the bottom of those election results. Clinton’s loss isn’t simply about emails or Russian hacking or James Comey or the perils of the Electoral College or the struggles of the so-called white working class. Underneath that, her loss has everything to do with the different expectations men and women face in our country. Her loss is about what we do to women who dare to seek power.

This struck me as I read Ta-Nehisi Coates’ incredible essay on Barack Obama’s presidency. “To secure the White House,” Coates writes in The Atlantic, “Donald Trump needed only money and white bluster.” This is the simplest evidence you need to understand that of course racism played a role Trump’s election, Coates writes.

Immediately, I realized, Coates missed something.

It wasn’t just money and bluster.

Trump is a man.

Much of the country went for the guy. Sure, technically she got more votes, is winning the popular vote by millions, but a huge percentage of the country went for him. Obama voters switched sides. He won.

With his utter lack of government experience, track record of lies, without disclosing his taxes, with his hateful comments about women, his boast about sexual assault. For all that, Trump was seen as more “authentic” than her. More likable.

That’s sexism. You can dress it up in as many ill-advised email servers or Benghazi hearings as you like.

Time and again, men get a pass.

More: It’s OK To Mourn For Our First Female President

Amen! If you liked the above, you should read the other half of the link.

Marrying Bill could only take her so far, but she did ok considering she had nothing of her own to offer.
She earned three times more than Bill when he was governor...

She earned three times more than Bill when he was governor..

Is that including her bribes...err...futures trading?

BS, hater dupe. What do I hate? Abortions? I was mistaken for once. Your facts are ALL lies..
Colorado's Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success ...
www.nytimes.com/.../colorados-push-against-teenage-pregnancies-is-a-startling-succe...
Jul 5, 2015 - A program to offer long-acting birth control, like free IUDs and implants, has ... while their rate of abortions fell by 42 percent, according to the Colorado ... Teenage births may be down, but unplanned births have simply moved ...
Colorado Birth Control Facts : snopes.com
www.snopes.com/colorado-birth-control-facts/
Nov 29, 2016 - Colorado has been offering free birth vontrol for 5 years and. Unintended pregnancies down40% Abortions down 42% Millions in public health ...

And continuing to go down. Maybe 50% by now. PFFFFT!!

You said abortions were down 50%, because of ACA, and yet nationwide they are down 13% and no proof it is due to ACA, you lied.

Then you modified your statement to be just Colorado where they are down 50% due to ACA. The article links the free birth control pre-dates the implementation of the ACA. So again another lie. You just go from lie to lie. You sir are a liar. Admit and move on liar, because you are digging yourself deeper.

You said that ACA dropped abortions by 50% that is a lie. I am not debating whether it will or won't drop abortions 50%, I have no idea and you think you do, however given the fact that that your estimate was off by 37%, I think you have no idea of what your talking about.

What fact was a lie, that you said abortions were down 50% due to ACA? The fact you then changed after being proved wrong that you claimed Colorado abortion rates were down 50% because of ACA? Then you changed that it will probably be there now? Which you have no proof of.
The fact that Colorado started their program long before ACA started, so ACA had nothing to do with your claim.
So what fact did I lie about?
You got one right? I was mistaken. And way to miss the point. I was mistaken, not lying, Pubtroll. All your facts ARE lies. If all states would have medicaid and counseling it would be down 50% in no time, hater dupe. It's part of ACA NOW, shyttehead. LOL Oh no!
And you continue to be mistaken. You are still claiming that the abortion rate is down 50% when your articles do not state that at all. It states teen abortions are down that much, not all abortions. Then there is no data at all that shows the results have squat to do with Colorado's program. Further, Colorado's program only covers a specific type of birth control as pointed out by your Snopes article meaning that the changes may not be related to the program but the grater use of long term birth control over short term ones.

Getting some actual data rather than believing the bullshit that the NY Times feeds you paints a FAR different picture:
State Facts About Abortion: Colorado

Look at that, Colorado's abortion rate follows almost the exact same trend line that the nation experienced. So much for the resounding success. Oh, and look:
U.S. Teen Pregnancy, Birth and Abortion Rates Reach the Lowest Levels in Almost Four Decades

Teen pregnancies and abortions are down everywhere in the country and have been on the decline for 20 years. The question is how this has effected the trend line and how much of a deviation from the rest of the nation has occurred - information that is interestingly not present in the article.
Whatever the stats, less children having children is a fact to celebrate. Whatever is causing that we need to keep it up.

You said abortions were down 50%, because of ACA, and yet nationwide they are down 13% and no proof it is due to ACA, you lied.

Then you modified your statement to be just Colorado where they are down 50% due to ACA. The article links the free birth control pre-dates the implementation of the ACA. So again another lie. You just go from lie to lie. You sir are a liar. Admit and move on liar, because you are digging yourself deeper.

You said that ACA dropped abortions by 50% that is a lie. I am not debating whether it will or won't drop abortions 50%, I have no idea and you think you do, however given the fact that that your estimate was off by 37%, I think you have no idea of what your talking about.

What fact was a lie, that you said abortions were down 50% due to ACA? The fact you then changed after being proved wrong that you claimed Colorado abortion rates were down 50% because of ACA? Then you changed that it will probably be there now? Which you have no proof of.
The fact that Colorado started their program long before ACA started, so ACA had nothing to do with your claim.
You got one right? I was mistaken. And way to miss the point. I was mistaken, not lying, Pubtroll. All your facts ARE lies. If all states would have medicaid and counseling it would be down 50% in no time, hater dupe. It's part of ACA NOW, shyttehead. LOL Oh no!
And you continue to be mistaken. You are still claiming that the abortion rate is down 50% when your articles do not state that at all. It states teen abortions are down that much, not all abortions. Then there is no data at all that shows the results have squat to do with Colorado's program. Further, Colorado's program only covers a specific type of birth control as pointed out by your Snopes article meaning that the changes may not be related to the program but the grater use of long term birth control over short term ones.

Getting some actual data rather than believing the bullshit that the NY Times feeds you paints a FAR different picture:

Look at that, Colorado's abortion rate follows almost the exact same trend line that the nation experienced. So much for the resounding success. Oh, and look:
U.S. Teen Pregnancy, Birth and Abortion Rates Reach the Lowest Levels in Almost Four Decades

Teen pregnancies and abortions are down everywhere in the country and have been on the decline for 20 years. The question is how this has effected the trend line and how much of a deviation from the rest of the nation has occurred - information that is interestingly not present in the article.
Whatever the stats, less children having children is a fact to celebrate. Whatever is causing that we need to keep it up.
You hate humans not surprised

Of course. Understanding that change is the key though. More than likely there is a stark change in our culture that is the underlying driver to this. I would not be surprised if long term birth control was a contributing factor as well - how many 16 year old girls do you know that are sexually active enough to be likely to become pregnant AND are responsible enough to take the pill properly?

What he is doing though is trying to use this as a political tool to push something that is largely not relevant. Something that politicians do ALL the time. When you start to dig into the hard numbers it becomes obvious that the so called facts the media at large and the politicians push are mostly bullshit. You hear a lot about fake news these days but the sad truth is that places like britbart are not the main source of such manipulations - they are obvious and easily dismissed. The major news outlets are far more dangerous.

Again you miss the point. Free BC and counseling would help cut the number of abortions GREATLY, dupe.
Nothing is free, I shouldn't have to
help pay for anyone's birth control,
I shouldn't have to pay for someones counselor..
Where's the parents?
I shouldn't have to pay for someones abortion

Cut it in half...what we're going to start paying for
personalized baby sitting services to make sure
girls are taking the BC at regular intervals, every day
and they are getting refills at the end of the month?

If you're irresponsible, you're irresponsible in EVERYTHING
Did you miss MY point or did it fly right over your head?

Less children getting pregnant is a better celebration.

Again you miss the point. Free BC and counseling would help cut the number of abortions GREATLY, dupe.
Where's the parents?

Blah blah. Try figuring your costs for birthing and welfare, dupe.

Though the sexism behind Clinton’s loss has hardly been a secret, it’s taken me awhile to truly grapple with what lays at the bottom of those election results. Clinton’s loss isn’t simply about emails or Russian hacking or James Comey or the perils of the Electoral College or the struggles of the so-called white working class. Underneath that, her loss has everything to do with the different expectations men and women face in our country. Her loss is about what we do to women who dare to seek power.

This struck me as I read Ta-Nehisi Coates’ incredible essay on Barack Obama’s presidency. “To secure the White House,” Coates writes in The Atlantic, “Donald Trump needed only money and white bluster.” This is the simplest evidence you need to understand that of course racism played a role Trump’s election, Coates writes.

Trump is a man.

Much of the country went for the guy. Sure, technically she got more votes, is winning the popular vote by millions, but a huge percentage of the country went for him. Obama voters switched sides. He won.

With his utter lack of government experience, track record of lies, without disclosing his taxes, with his hateful comments about women, his boast about sexual assault. For all that, Trump was seen as more “authentic” than her. More likable.

That’s sexism. You can dress it up in as many ill-advised email servers or Benghazi hearings as you like.

Marrying Bill could only take her so far, but she did ok considering she had nothing of her own to offer.

Blah blah nothing proven, just lucky. You think GOPers aren't playing lol? Big Oil, Big Pharma, REAL. Idiot. Who gives us dereg and ridiculous bubbles? S+L ring a bell?

Free BC DUH...and counselling cut both...

Trump is a man.

She was her own worst enemy and it had nothing to do with the fact that she was a woman.

She was a lousy candidate and the DNC should have talked Biden into running. He was VP for eight years and is way more qualified than she will ever be.

She cooked her own goose with Benghazi and the emails. Her actions were what caused the loss. She was stupid, careless and incompetent and she thought she had the election in the bag.

Thank God she isn't POTUS and believe me no sane person is mourning her loss.

Of course biased asshole Shittigbull will mourn for the next four to eight years. Have fun Shittingbull.

Free BC DUH...and counselling cut both...

Did I say differently? Do you actually comprehend what you read, hater dupe?

Where's the parents?

huh?

Warp speed ahead to 2024 after Donald Trump's two terms as President and we find our first female President;

Ivanka.jpg

Trump is a man.

Blah blah nothing proven, just lucky. You think GOPers aren't playing lol? Big Oil, Big Pharma, REAL. Idiot. Who gives us dereg and ridiculous bubbles? S+L ring a bell?

Blah blah nothing proven, just lucky.

LOL! So naïve.

Where's the parents?

huh?
Try figuring your costs for birthing and welfare for the mother and kid duh...., dupe.

Forum List

Back