It's Official: Trump Signs Executive Order To Return Astronauts To The Moon.....Then On To Mars

We've spent more on entitlement programs.
And I suppose it's more important to go to the Moon than to feed and house people, treat them if they're sick?

I have absolutely nothing against the space program. It just seems if we're too broke to continue Medicare and Social Security, it's not the right time to fire up an extremely expensive science program that will not bring us any immediate, measurable benefit.
Priorities is my only issue.
Maybe this new tax plan will have us so rolling in dough in the next decade that a space program will be a drop in the bucket.
My idea for feeding poeple is GMO's
A trip to Mars is not survivable and what is needed closer to home is asteroid capture at L4 and L5. one ton spikes hitting at terminal velocity is a credible threat against NK and Iran.
How is it not survivable ?

My my admitted limited knowledge I believe has to do with the extremely high radiation.

The best shielding for this it turns out is water, go figure. Metal shielding actually makes things much worse.

I read something about that the other day.
Would you need to change the water at some point due to saturation with radiation?

WOW!!!!

I support Trump on this one.

I wish he'd order an outpost on the moon as that would last hundreds of years and would help humanity remain in space!
That's what the plan will be, put a base on it and launch from there to go to Mars on a month journey once we can develop a ship and propulsion drive to get us there.

And I suppose it's more important to go to the Moon than to feed and house people, treat them if they're sick?

I have absolutely nothing against the space program. It just seems if we're too broke to continue Medicare and Social Security, it's not the right time to fire up an extremely expensive science program that will not bring us any immediate, measurable benefit.
Maybe this new tax plan will have us so rolling in dough in the next decade that a space program will be a drop in the bucket.
A trip to Mars is not survivable and what is needed closer to home is asteroid capture at L4 and L5. one ton spikes hitting at terminal velocity is a credible threat against NK and Iran.

My my admitted limited knowledge I believe has to do with the extremely high radiation.

The best shielding for this it turns out is water, go figure. Metal shielding actually makes things much worse.

Would you need to change the water at some point due to saturation with radiation?

Are cosmic rays concentrated enough to worry about saturation? I think the big issue is the near light speed of cosmic ray particles. A cosmic ray hitting you at near the speed of light, ouch. But if a cosmic ray particle strikes a piece of metal that dislodges a bunch of atoms now its like getting hit with a shotgun blast vs a single cosmic ray. Water apparently is really good at absorbing cosmic rays. How many before its contaminated or loses its shielding effect I don't know.

No. He literally just signed a piece of paper. Now we need upwards of $100 billion dollars to make the trip. Unless that piece of paper is worth $100 billion dollars...

You are living proof Trump can't please a liberal no matter what he does. As chief executive he just used the power the Constitution grants him to put forth a vision for NASA and humanity, the Moon, Mars, and still you people bitch and complain. Here talk to the hand :eusa_hand:

Nobody is bitching or complaining. We’re just pointing out the fact that the EO has no power or authority without a Congressional appropriation to fund it.

The big corporate tax cut hamstrings Congress. Because they can’t increase spending which results in a deficit 10 years from now, any big long-term spending commitments are out of the question until revenues increase.

And JFK's historic speech advocating landing men on the moon ALSO had no funding. Just admit it you people hate Trump and no matter what he does you will bitch and complain.

The entire speech was focused on the head start the Soviets had in the space race. It was painted as a matter of national security during the Cold War.

No dummy in this speech which you obviously have not read, JFK strongly argued against putting weapons in space or extending the cold war to space. :itsok:

I was thinking of his address to Congress, but either way I never said he wanted to put weapons in space. It was about beating the Soviets and the national security implications stretched much further than weaponizing space.

Radiation and bone loss damage is huge. 12 months is survivable. while there is some debate on exercise programs to reduce bone loss Mars has effectively no magnetosphere and not enough Gravity to make rehab feasible Trip out, stay time and trip back will be way over the highest defensible estimate of the upper limit of how much low gravity and cosmic radiation is survivable. The L-5 Society back in the 70s claimed that something like double digits of meters of slag would be needed to make habitats for space industrialization work forces simply to deal with the radiation outside of the magnetosphere. The other proposed solution is a micro-gravity super conductor that does not yet exist.

Are cosmic rays concentrated enough to worry about saturation? I think the big issue is the near light speed of cosmic ray particles. A cosmic ray hitting you at near the speed of light, ouch. But if a cosmic ray particle strikes a piece of metal that dislodges a bunch of atoms now its like getting hit with a shotgun blast vs a single cosmic ray. Water apparently is really good at absorbing cosmic rays. How many before its contaminated or loses its shielding effect I don't know.

I agree that the biggest obstacle is finding a way to reach the speeds necessary to get there in a reasonable amount of time.
I think we're a long way away from it being a suicide mission.

We need a permanent, self sustaining, manufacturing base on the moon before we even think about Mars. It certainly would be cheaper to build and launch from the Moon than it would be from Earth.
That's the plan according to the press conference I watched..
Honestly I would like to skip Mars altogether and go straight to the asteroid belt. I've seen estimates that put the value of a good sized metallic asteroid at over a trillion dollars. we could colonize the rest of the Solar system easily with the resources in the belt.
How do you get them down to Earth?
Foam metal landing craft. Gases do not compressed out of the metal when refined in micro-gravity. That means reducing weight by 90% and strength by 10% makes for a much easier landing.

True but the delta v for the water is a deal killer with known technology.

I agree that the biggest obstacle is finding a way to reach the speeds necessary to get there in a reasonable amount of time.

There is no reason to risk human life on such a mission. I think we are hundreds of years away from humans traveling to Mars safely and returning. Better to concentrate on robotics and sending them while finding solutions to human space travel.

Even forgetting cosmic rays and radiation from the sun, just specks of dust can cause damage and there are untold trillions of particles between the size of dust and a bullet whizzing through space. Artificial gravity will be needed. Medical emergencies requiring surgery, treatment not carried on board. I think we have to be careful not to let Hollywood sci-fi movies rush this.

Speed to get out there we can probably make. but fuel for landing and return not so much.

Speed to get out there we can probably make. but fuel for landing and return not so much.

Or breaking at the speed we'd need to travel, or turning around to return home due to some unforeseen emergency. Hell its getting difficult just to find a hole in all the space junk in orbit to launch through.

But liberals have been telling us Trump and the GOP do not support investment in science...were liberals lying again? I think we all know the answer.

There is no indication that the GOP supports investment in it yet. It's an EO. Without funding it's nothing more than a piece of paper.

Translation...goddamnit Trump outsmarted us again :bang3:

No. He literally just signed a piece of paper. Now we need upwards of $100 billion dollars to make the trip. Unless that piece of paper is worth $100 billion dollars...

You are living proof Trump can't please a liberal no matter what he does. As chief executive he just used the power the Constitution grants him to put forth a vision for NASA and humanity, the Moon, Mars, and still you people bitch and complain. Here talk to the hand :eusa_hand:

Put forth a vision? Whooptyfuckingdo. Guess what? I just put forth a vision. My dick hasn't grown by 12 inches yet, but at least I put forth that vision.

Did you know that both Bushes also put forth a vision to return to the moon? They ran into a problem. FUNDING!
then you get russia the european space agency japan,india and even china to join us and all get there together.......

Or breaking at the speed we'd need to travel, or turning around to return home due to some unforeseen emergency. Hell its getting difficult just to find a hole in all the space junk in orbit to launch through.

All true and I would give long odds that we have yet to scratch the surface.

This is outstanding and will be great. It will be an innovative jobs creator too. America is back! It was also nostalgic to see former Apollo Astronauts Harrison Schmidt and Buzz Aldrin standing by the president.

NASA TWITTER with Video of the signing.
Twitter

Kind of a dumb idea, as we can get much more actual knowledge for the buck with unmanned missions.

All true and I would give long odds that we have yet to scratch the surface.

Then there's the fact we are $20 trillion in debt. We need to invest yes, but we are not swimming in money we need to be smart about what we pursue not throw trillions at some pipe dream that won't be realized for centuries right.

This is outstanding and will be great. It will be an innovative jobs creator too. America is back! It was also nostalgic to see former Apollo Astronauts Harrison Schmidt and Buzz Aldrin standing by the president.

Twitter

In light of Trumps support of science I'm sure Matthew would be honored to be boinked by our president.

Trump's support of science! NOW that is fucking funny!

Do you know what thread you're posting in?

Yes, the thread talking about Trump's meaningless EO about going back to the moon. Why do you ask?

Twitter

In light of Trumps support of science I'm sure Matthew would be honored to be boinked by our president.

Yes, the thread talking about Trump's meaningless EO about going back to the moon. Why do you ask?

So you're against the advancement of our space program since Trump is in office.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering you're scared to death of Trump and his amazing economic growth.

Twitter

What Buzz roll his eyes again?

Twitter

So you're against the advancement of our space program since Trump is in office.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering you're scared to death of Trump and his amazing economic growth.

Reading is not a big thing in your life I see, as your compression sucks. Please highlight where I said anything about being again the space program...

As for the current economic growth, I am not scared in the least, I am giddy as a junebug. Not long before the election I moved a sizable chunk of money into the market, and even with only moderate risk investments it is booming! Life is good little buddy, take the stick out of your ass and live a little

Forum List

Back