This is seriously messed up. WTF?!?!?

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
Coast Guard Orders Barges to Stop

So why stop now?

"The Coast Guard came and shut them down," Jindal said. "You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'"

A Coast Guard representative told ABC News today that it shares the same goal as the governor.

"We are all in this together. The enemy is the oil," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Dan Lauer.

But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

these fucking people are behaving in a criminally inept way. unbelievable.

i'm starting to agree that bush handled katrina better, and the way bush handled katrina was fucking pitiful.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

So why stop now?

"The Coast Guard came and shut them down," Jindal said. "You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'"

A Coast Guard representative told ABC News today that it shares the same goal as the governor.

"We are all in this together. The enemy is the oil," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Dan Lauer.

But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

these fucking people are behaving in a criminally inept way. unbelievable.

i'm starting to agree that bush handled katrina better, and the way bush handled katrina was fucking pitiful.

I read something yesterday that said they had to cease because there was a fire on the barge collecting the oil.

"The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns.

"They promised us they were going to get it done as quickly as possible," he said. But "every time you talk to someone different at the Coast Guard, you get a different answer."

Wouldn't you think that given the current situation, that Gulf state governors should have a direct link to the Whitehouse?

You'd think they could have "confirmed" without ceasing operations on other vessels since it is standard for such vessels to be equipped with life preservers and fire extinguishers...Sounds like some sort of bureaucratic over reaction?

You'd think they could have "confirmed" without ceasing operations on other vessels since it is standard for such vessels to be equipped with life preservers and fire extinguishers...Sounds like some sort of bureaucratic over reaction?

That is exactly the sort of cluster fuck you get when someone who doesn't know how to command is in charge.

Calling Lt. Gen. Honore, retired. Don't why this has not been done already.

The governor said the problem is there's still no single person giving a "yes" or "no." While the Gulf Coast governors have developed plans with the Coast Guard's command center in the Gulf, things begin to shift when other agencies start weighing in, like the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

"It's like this huge committee down there," Riley said, "and every decision that we try to implement, any one person on that committee has absolute veto power."

So why stop now?

You got somethin' against fire extinguishers and life preservers?:doubt:

:eusa_hand:

I understand there was a barge that also was found to have a ladies room understocked with feminine hygene products.:confused:

"You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'"

Do you automatically stop what you are doing when someone says to you "cease and desist"?

I generally do...unless what I'm doing is eating a sammich...in which case I say "Cease and desist THIS!" while I grab my bulge.

So why stop now?

You got somethin' against fire extinguishers and life preservers?:doubt:

:eusa_hand:

I understand there was a barge that also was found to have a ladies room understocked with feminine hygene products.:confused:
Sangha better stay off that boat

What did ya expect from a commmunity organizer? A man that has no executive experience.

Listen, can ya hear that? That's Obama's approval rating hitting the ground!

I think it would have made more sense for Jindal to call Obama instead of going back to his office and issuing a press release.

But hey, that's just what I would have done.

Coast Guard stops Jindal's efforts because Jindal is effective and Obama is a Iowa Class Embarrassment!

Obama is clearly NOT doing everything to mitigate the Leak, the barges were back in service after a 24 hour run around. I guess when you wait 42 days to even take the leak seriously, what's another 24 hours?

"BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard
59 Days Into Oil Crisis, Gulf Coast Governors Say Feds Are Failing Them

Eight days ago, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered barges to begin vacuuming crude oil out of his state's oil-soaked waters. Today, against the governor's wishes, those barges sat idle, even as more oil flowed toward the Louisiana shore.

merged with existing thread

Last edited:
Rumor leaked out yesterday on the Rush Limbaugh show when a caller from Louisiana let slip that the Coast Guard has suspended use of skimmers as all of them are undergoing 'immediate safety inspection'.

Hopefully this is just idle rumor, but if true... what the fuck?

If it is true that orders came down to stop skimming for anything less than a protection from a known disaster, I wanna know if we will be bringing charges against the government officials responsible for damaging the environment by obstructing clean up efforts.

I'm waiting to see if this will become a Nullification Crisis, which it very well could.

Last edited:
But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges

this is the point at which they should have used some disproprtionate force and knocked his silly ass overboard.

Coast Guard stops Jindal's efforts because Jindal is effective and Obama is a Iowa Class Embarrassment!

Obama is clearly NOT doing everything to mitigate the Leak, the barges were back in service after a 24 hour run around. I guess when you wait 42 days to even take the leak seriously, what's another 24 hours?

"BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard

Eight days ago, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered barges to begin vacuuming crude oil out of his state's oil-soaked waters. Today, against the governor's wishes, those barges sat idle, even as more oil flowed toward the Louisiana shore.

From your link:

*snip*

After Jindal strenuously made his case, the barges finally got the go-ahead today to return to the Gulf and get back to work, after more than 24 hours of sitting idle.

So they did a safety check and the barges are back sucking up oil.

Someone put Frank back in his cage.

From your link:

*snip*

After Jindal strenuously made his case, the barges finally got the go-ahead today to return to the Gulf and get back to work, after more than 24 hours of sitting idle.

The point is, what the fuck are they doing shutting them down in the first place for an entire day? Safety Inspections???? come on! I don't buy that for a split second. The way this is going on, I would believe that they'd still be shut down if Jindal wasn't so good at pitching a tirade at them because the feds have figured nobody's going to question their 'wisdom' during this crisis.

From your link:

*snip*

The point is, what the fuck are they doing shutting them down in the first place for an entire day? Safety Inspections???? come on! I don't buy that for a split second. The way this is going on, I would believe that they'd still be shut down if Jindal wasn't so good at pitching a tirade at them because the feds have figured nobody's going to question their 'wisdom' during this crisis.

You got these large barges (reminds me of Large Marge lol) sucking up a bunch of oil which is flammable and combustible ... so the Coast Guard made sure they were up to snuff safety wise. Heaven forbid there was an explosion on one of those ships and they didn't have any gear to deal with it ... if there were I guarandamntee that a bunch of people on this board would screaming that they should have made sure that they were prepared to deal with such a thing. And could you imagine if it did happen and it turned out the Coast Guard let them operate without safey gear? So they did an inspection and they are rolling again. I mean, if you want to subscribe to Frank's theory knock yourself out but it holds about as much water as a strainer.

Forum List

Back