This is seriously messed up. WTF?!?!?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by del, Jun 17, 2010.

1. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    Coast Guard Orders Barges to Stop

So why stop now?

"The Coast Guard came and shut them down," Jindal said. "You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'"

A Coast Guard representative told ABC News today that it shares the same goal as the governor.

"We are all in this together. The enemy is the oil," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Dan Lauer.

But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

these fucking people are behaving in a criminally inept way. unbelievable.

i'm starting to agree that bush handled katrina better, and the way bush handled katrina was fucking pitiful.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

I read something yesterday that said they had to cease because there was a fire on the barge collecting the oil.

3. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    The Press Association: Setback as BP starts burning oil

4. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    "The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns.

"They promised us they were going to get it done as quickly as possible," he said. But "every time you talk to someone different at the Coast Guard, you get a different answer."

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

Wouldn't you think that given the current situation, that Gulf state governors should have a direct link to the Whitehouse?

5. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    You'd think they could have "confirmed" without ceasing operations on other vessels since it is standard for such vessels to be equipped with life preservers and fire extinguishers...Sounds like some sort of bureaucratic over reaction?

6. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    That is exactly the sort of cluster fuck you get when someone who doesn't know how to command is in charge.

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    Calling Lt. Gen. Honore, retired. Don't why this has not been done already.

The governor said the problem is there's still no single person giving a "yes" or "no." While the Gulf Coast governors have developed plans with the Coast Guard's command center in the Gulf, things begin to shift when other agencies start weighing in, like the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

"It's like this huge committee down there," Riley said, "and every decision that we try to implement, any one person on that committee has absolute veto power."

8. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    You got somethin' against fire extinguishers and life preservers?:doubt:

:eusa_hand:

I understand there was a barge that also was found to have a ladies room understocked with feminine hygene products.:confused:

9. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Do you automatically stop what you are doing when someone says to you "cease and desist"?

I generally do...unless what I'm doing is eating a sammich...in which case I say "Cease and desist THIS!" while I grab my bulge.

10. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Sangha better stay off that boat