This is seriously messed up. WTF?!?!?

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that Jindal is less concerned with protecting his state than he is concerned about scoring cheap political points?

Why didn't he just call Obama instead of going back to his office to issue a press release?

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that Jindal is less concerned with protecting his state than he is concerned about scoring cheap political points?

Why didn't he just call Obama instead of going back to his office to issue a press release?

And exactly what would Obama done? He's not out there in a dinghy skimming the oil. Obama put the Coast Guard in charge and they are the ones Jindal was getting the run around from. Talking to different people in the Guard and getting different answers from each of them... He had the right to get pissy.

From your link:

So they did a safety check and the barges are back sucking up oil.

Someone put Frank back in his cage.
The point is, what the fuck are they doing shutting them down in the first place for an entire day? Safety Inspections???? come on! I don't buy that for a split second. The way this is going on, I would believe that they'd still be shut down if Jindal wasn't so good at pitching a tirade at them because the feds have figured nobody's going to question their 'wisdom' during this crisis.

You got these large barges (reminds me of Large Marge lol) sucking up a bunch of oil which is flammable and combustible ... so the Coast Guard made sure they were up to snuff safety wise. Heaven forbid there was an explosion on one of those ships and they didn't have any gear to deal with it ... if there were I guarandamntee that a bunch of people on this board would screaming that they should have made sure that they were prepared to deal with such a thing. And could you imagine if it did happen and it turned out the Coast Guard let them operate without safey gear? So they did an inspection and they are rolling again. I mean, if you want to subscribe to Frank's theory knock yourself out but it holds about as much water as a strainer.
You would have a point... except it happened to all the ships at the same time. That tells me this is not just 'inspecting'. It would have been one at a time, they stop, get inspected, move on, lather rinse repeat. You would have had only 1 or two off line at a time. That's why it's suspicious.

A leader would go to the person in charge if he had a valid complaint.

Here's something for ya Ravi;
BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns.
Apparently Obama wasn't there to pick up so what was Jindal's next move?
:doubt: Governors don't try to reach the white house.

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns.

So he would lie about something that could be easily verified?

Meybee Barry was on the ninth hole and forgot his blackberry in the club house.

Why did the barges go back to the pier? Why didn't they just check on them in situ? If there were deficiencies in the number of fire extinguishers, they could have brought them over on the same ship. Same for life jackets.

It sounds like the officials brought them in, had them tied up at the dock, and then went home.

This whole crisis is because BP didn't follow safety and environmental regs, and they were let off with a nagging. Clearly these rules need to be enforced. But you wonder if something else isn't going on here. It does seem 0bama is more interested in maintaining the crisis than in the solution to it.

It took 50 days for the Dutch skimmers to arrive, even thought the could have been airlifted on the first day, and they capacity is greater than the worst estimates of the spill rate.

So while, especially here, I am am all in favor of safety reg compliance, I got to wonder if this is really what is going on.

The point is, what the fuck are they doing shutting them down in the first place for an entire day? Safety Inspections???? come on! I don't buy that for a split second. The way this is going on, I would believe that they'd still be shut down if Jindal wasn't so good at pitching a tirade at them because the feds have figured nobody's going to question their 'wisdom' during this crisis.

You got these large barges (reminds me of Large Marge lol) sucking up a bunch of oil which is flammable and combustible ... so the Coast Guard made sure they were up to snuff safety wise. Heaven forbid there was an explosion on one of those ships and they didn't have any gear to deal with it ... if there were I guarandamntee that a bunch of people on this board would screaming that they should have made sure that they were prepared to deal with such a thing. And could you imagine if it did happen and it turned out the Coast Guard let them operate without safey gear? So they did an inspection and they are rolling again. I mean, if you want to subscribe to Frank's theory knock yourself out but it holds about as much water as a strainer.
You would have a point... except it happened to all the ships at the same time. That tells me this is not just 'inspecting'. It would have been one at a time, they stop, get inspected, move on, lather rinse repeat. You would have had only 1 or two off line at a time. That's why it's suspicious.

If there is a possible safety issue on the barges and they plan on inspecting them all it only makes sense to stop them all at once. You don't let unchecked ships continue to work if there is a suspected problem just because they are in line to get checked. Yes, it's slow but it's the gov't. Be suspicious all you want but I find it pretty silly to think there was some nefarious plot behind it.

On what basis did they suspect there were deficiencies? Did the company running barges fail an inspection elsewhere?

And such a weird ass inspection too.

Usually I give people a lot of slack on this kind of thing, but we are starting to see a consistent pattern. I mean, this not just a pattern that is there only for the tin foil types, but a pattern through out the crisis.

On what basis did they suspect there were deficiencies? Did the company running barges fail an inspection elsewhere?

Usually I give people a lot of slack on this kind of thing, but we are starting to see a consistent pattern. I mean, this not just a pattern that is there only for the tin foil types, but a pattern through out the crisis.

My guess is that they were concerned after a ship caught on fire.

From earlier in the thread:

But it suffered a setback on Tuesday when a bolt of lightning struck the the Discoverer Enterprise, the ship capturing oil from the blown-out well, and ignited a fire that halted containment efforts.

The fire was quickly extinguished and no one was injured, and BP said it hoped to resume containing oil from the well.

The Press Association: Setback as BP starts burning oil

But it suffered a setback on Tuesday when a bolt of lightning struck the the Discoverer Enterprise, the ship capturing oil from the blown-out well, and ignited a fire that halted containment efforts.

The fire was quickly extinguished and no one was injured, and BP said it hoped to resume containing oil from the well.

The Press Association: Setback as BP starts burning oil

but your quote creates more questions than it solves. The lightening strike and fire were quickly dealt with. Safety systems did what they were supposed to. So why all of the sudden raise questions about something that worked like it was supposed to.

If there were a failure, I could see it. This is pushing the envelope of weird way beyond the Eots zone. I want to give them the benefit of doubt, but they won't let me.

I think it would have made more sense for Jindal to call Obama instead of going back to his office and issuing a press release.

But hey, that's just what I would have done.

obama has proven to be less than a leader.

but, hey, that's just me

but your quote creates more questions than it solves. The lightening strike and fire were quickly dealt with. Safety systems did what they were supposed to. So why all of the sudden raise questions about something that worked like it was supposed to.

If there were a failure, I could see it. This is pushing the envelope of weird way beyond the Eots zone. I want to give them the benefit of doubt, but they won't let me.

Because the gov't overreacts to these things ...

You have a fire on a boat and are lucky enough to put it out quickly and suddenly making sure all the boats have fire extinguishers, etc to deal with a potential fire becomes a hot button issue.

Strap on that tin foil hat if it feels good though.

I think it would have made more sense for Jindal to call Obama instead of going back to his office and issuing a press release.

But hey, that's just what I would have done.
Ravi, did you read this?

"The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns.

It seems the best way of handling a potential problem like this would be to send a party on board to check those possible deficiences rather than hold up vital operations, if those operations were indeed seen as being vital.

It appears that this whole affair is being treated as "business as usual", no one is really willing to think outside the box for fear of getting this asses burned.

Last edited:

Because the gov't overreacts to these things ...

You have a fire on a boat and are lucky enough to put it out quickly and suddenly making sure all the boats have fire extinguishers, etc to deal with a potential fire becomes a hot button issue.

Strap on that tin foil hat if it feels good though.

40 days ago, I would have agreed with you. But every chance they have of making the clean up go faster they kick away. You don't have to wear tin foil in order to wonder why they consistently keep doing it wrong.
Like these guys. Supposed to be hats, guys.
foil.jpg

Forum List

Back