It's cold and snowy in January!

The other California, New york upstate.

O la la! God's country. I grew up in Rochester. I can recall Lake Ontario being frozen for about a mile from shore, and snowbanks as high as houses.

Take heart.....this too shall pass, and then it'll be spring.

lilacs.jpg

This is very typical weather for January,cold snowy and winds from the north,but then if you are a skier or snowmobiler,you want this,just not 30 mph wind and 20 degrees.

The other California, New york upstate.

O la la! God's country. I grew up in Rochester. I can recall Lake Ontario being frozen for about a mile from shore, and snowbanks as high as houses.

Take heart.....this too shall pass, and then it'll be spring.

lilacs.jpg

You ether embrace winter or it can get mighty hard for ya,those lake effect snows can get really harsh.We even get a fair amount from the finger lakes.

Yes, and it snowed recently in Australia....where it's summer.

Yep, snow in Tasmania, record heat in the Southwest of Australia, and an epic flood in the Northeast.

One of the primary predictions of global warming is wider and wilder weather swings, with an overall warming.

When you predict everything is a sign then you have created an unfalsifiable hypothesis...which means it is now a religion.

Yes, but the upside is, you'r near the Finger Lakes.

Yes we are!,and we spend as much time on them as we can,my favorite is Keuka,they are truly works of wonder each with their own special beauty.

So many people that don't know about what upstate has to offer,they think only the city.

Yup.

Now that gw has been debunked, I guess that means your work here is done.

Best of luck in your next endeavor. :thup:

Ahh if only it were that simple. The goal is not to "prove" GW wrong. We KNOW that the world is warming up. The question is whether man has an impact. So far there has been no empirical data shown that says yes man does. Instead we have tons of empirical data showing the opposite.

We want money to go into legit research, that will take the US off of the oil economy. Unfortunately the money currently is spent on useless feel good programs that have no effect other than making a very few people very rich, and of course making you poor.

But hey feel free to be a lemming and follow the rest of the folks off the cliff. Leaves more for the smart ones left behind.

I see. And which peer reviewed scientific journals do you find this data in? Last time I looked, the articles in the journals were almost 100% saying that AGW is real, and the primary driver of the warming is the burning of fossil fuels.

And virtually every Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and ever major University states that in their policy statements.

As for the rest of your senseless rant, you simply are doing your usual lying.

And the exact same players were saying the world was heading for a new ice age in the 1970's. That was their "consensus" then. Find me a single article from the 1970's that says we were heading for a warm trend. Just one.

So much for "consensus".

Yes, but the upside is, you'r near the Finger Lakes.

Yes we are!,and we spend as much time on them as we can,my favorite is Keuka,they are truly works of wonder each with their own special beauty.

So many people that don't know about what upstate has to offer,they think only the city.

I haven't been back in forty years, but I have wonderful memories of Canandaugia Lake. I hear the area has many vineyards and wineries now; that must be lovely.

Yes, and it snowed recently in Australia....where it's summer.

Yep, snow in Tasmania, record heat in the Southwest of Australia, and an epic flood in the Northeast.

One of the primary predictions of global warming is wider and wilder weather swings, with an overall warming.

When you predict everything is a sign then you have created an unfalsifiable hypothesis...which means it is now a religion.

O no. Not the "science is just another religion" thingie again.

Please.

LOL.

LOL. Well, Madeline, I do feel for you. Here in Portland, Oregon, were we to get that much snow, it would shut the whole city down. Last Sunday, heavy snow was predicted for today and tomorrow, and the city went into panic mode. However, a change in the winds gave us about an inch of pellet snow last night, then heavy rain, and 49 degrees right now. Should be in the mid-50s for part of this week, maybe even near 60.

Ah, thankies, Old Rocks. The world makes sense to me again.....it's all about me, LOL.

Doesn't snow much in Portland? That surprises me.

No, we have not had much snow, or cold weather in Portland for about the last 40 years. Odd, too. For a couple of years between 1900 and 1930, the Columbia froze hard enough for people to drive wagons from Portland to Vancouver. And there were snows as much as three feet deep.

In fact, in about five of the last 20 years, the roses have bloomed completely through the winter.

Really? I guess you forgot 1989 huh? 11 days in a row under 32 degrees. Or how about 1985 when there were 23 days in December under 32 degrees? Or how about the Novemebr before that when there were 11 days below freezing? I guess you forgot those years huh? Want me to post some more?

How'd those roses do then?

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/pdxclimate/pg21.pdf

More wineries all the time,they are even getting drink able,it lots of fun doing the wine trails,the lake views are spectacular,the fall is especially stunning,you should plan a return trip.

Clearly this should prove once and for all that global warming is a myth. :D

Yesterday was cold, but without snow.

Therefore, there was a mild case of global warming yesterday.

But today proves that we are moving into an Ice Age.

Please.

LOL.

No, you misinterpret. A theory that is unfalsifiable is a religion. When you predict that no matter what you see is evidence of your theory how do you prove that theory wrong? Look up the Scientific Method and you will see that all theories must have experiments that are repeatable by anyone to be "proved". When there is no way to "prove" the theory wrong you have left science behind and entered into the realm of a belief system.

Got it?

More wineries all the time,they are even getting drink able,it lots of fun doing the wine trails,the lake views are spectacular,the fall is especially stunning,you should plan a return trip.

I would love to. The kidlet and I have talked about it. I want to see the lilacs blooming in Highland Park again.

Never have made it to the lilacs festival,for cities Rochester is not bad.

Ah, thankies, Old Rocks. The world makes sense to me again.....it's all about me, LOL.

No, we have not had much snow, or cold weather in Portland for about the last 40 years. Odd, too. For a couple of years between 1900 and 1930, the Columbia froze hard enough for people to drive wagons from Portland to Vancouver. And there were snows as much as three feet deep.

In fact, in about five of the last 20 years, the roses have bloomed completely through the winter.

Really? I guess you forgot 1989 huh? 11 days in a row under 32 degrees. Or how about 1985 when there were 23 days in December under 32 degrees? Or how about the Novemebr before that when there were 11 days below freezing? I guess you forgot those years huh? Want me to post some more?

Lordy, lordy, what are you trying to do, validate my point? 11 days in a row under 32 degrees. Madeline and chikenwing are in country where 11 days in a row over 32 in the winter is news.

And, yes, you are correct. We get winters, about 15 of the last 20, where the roses did not bloom through the winter. Now, considering that we are about the same lattitude as Portland, Maine, that is not so bad.

And today, in spite of having about an inch of pellet snow at 2:00 AM, it his a high of 53 degrees, and, right now is 51 degrees. Portland has a very moderate climate. More moderate than in the past.

Please.

LOL.

No, you misinterpret. A theory that is unfalsifiable is a religion. When you predict that no matter what you see is evidence of your theory how do you prove that theory wrong? Look up the Scientific Method and you will see that all theories must have experiments that are repeatable by anyone to be "proved". When there is no way to "prove" the theory wrong you have left science behind and entered into the realm of a belief system.

Got it?

Damned easy to falsify the Global Warming Theory. All you need is a five year period with all factors staying the same that the overall anamoly is cooler, and the ice packs and glaciers gain ice. So when is that going to happen, genius?

Notice something very interesting about these dates. The lower you go, the further back the dates get. This would be really pronounced if the dates went further back than 1949.

Consecutive Days at Airport _ Dates Lows of 32 Deg or less

38 days Jan. 1-Feb 7, 1949
25 Dec 9-Jan 2, 1985-86
20 Dec. 24-Jan 12, 1978-79
17 Jan. 14-30, 1957
15 Jan. 22-Feb 5, 1985
15 Jan. 23-Feb 6, 1950

Lows of 20 degrees or less

9 days Jan. 27-Feb. 4, 1950
7 Dec. 19-25, 1990
7 Dec. 7-13, 1972
7 Jan. 24-30, 1957
7 Jan. 13-19, 1950
7 Jan. 22-28, 1949
Lows of 10 degrees or less

7 days Jan. 28-Feb. 3, 1950
3 Jan. 26-28, 1957
2 Dec 30-31, 1968
2 Dec 16-17, 1964
2 Jan. 16-17, 1950
2 Jan. 23-24, 1943
Lows of 1 Feb.2, 1950
10 Deg or less 1 Jan 31, 1950

Lordy, lordy, what are you trying to do, validate my point? 11 days in a row under 32 degrees. Madeline and chikenwing are in country where 11 days in a row over 32 in the winter is news.

And, yes, you are correct. We get winters, about 15 of the last 20, where the roses did not bloom through the winter. Now, considering that we are about the same lattitude as Portland, Maine, that is not so bad.

And today, in spite of having about an inch of pellet snow at 2:00 AM, it his a high of 53 degrees, and, right now is 51 degrees. Portland has a very moderate climate. More moderate than in the past.

Not at all. You love to brand anyone who doesn't believe in your belief system a liar and I was merely pointing out that your statement about Portland not having very many cold days in 40 years was typical olfraud BS. There have been LOTS of sub freezing weather in the last 40 years. You just choose to ignore those to further your particular point of view. Which supports my contentions about you quite nicely.

Forum List

Back