It says in the contract that passengers can be bumped from overbooked flights

If I were to guess, whether or not the plane is overbooked is irrelevant. If asked to get off, you have to. There are far more reasons than just overbooked flight that you could be asked to get off the plane. You can't set a precedent where you can start to argue with the flight attendants and flight crew. That will set a dangerous precedent.

No, it does not set a dangerous precedent. The man knew exactly why he was being asked to leave. It wasn't an emergency. They simply overbooked the flight. I'm glad he stood up to this bullshit practice over overbooking flights.
In this case, it wasn't about overbooking.

Oh yea, even worse. They bumped paying customers to fly their employees somewhere. In either scenario they can still shove that contract up their asses.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. I'm kinda glad it happened, now I can sit back and watch the show!

Better PR to make them an offer they can't refuse, than to drag them kicking and screaming down the aisle
Agreed. OTOH, it was Chicago's Aviation officers who fucked up. The result of this will be Chicago PD filling those 300 jobs like other airports do with their police.

In this situation, one Dao refused, they should have deplaned everyone then resolved it in the terminal.

Better PR to make them an offer they can't refuse, than to drag them kicking and screaming down the aisle
Agreed. OTOH, it was Chicago's Aviation officers who fucked up. The result of this will be Chicago PD filling those 300 jobs like other airports do with their police.

In this situation, one Dao refused, they should have deplaned everyone then resolved it in the terminal.

Yeah, this is my fear.

I have a sinking suspicion the result is going to be like TSA.

So before, the companies paid for security, and found the best possible balance between tight security and customer service, and they themselves paid for it.

Then you have a take over by the government, you end up with massive waiting lines, that were hours long, guys running their hands across women's breasts, scanning 80 something women, while letting the guy with beard shouting allah akbar going on the plane, because we wouldn't want to racially profile... and meanwhile, the companies aren't even paying for, the tax payers are. We're being abused, and we get to pay the bill.

So now, we're going to have a government take over of the police/security at airports as well... Who knows how many problems that will cause, and again the companies will no longer pay for it, but the tax payers will.

Again... rich get richer, and poor get poorer, and the left-wing cheers all the way.

Yeah, this is my fear.

So before, the companies paid for security, and found the best possible balance between tight security and customer service, and they themselves paid for it.

Then you have a take over by the government, you end up with massive waiting lines, that were hours long, guys running their hands across women's breasts, scanning 80 something women, while letting the guy with beard shouting allah akbar going on the plane, because we wouldn't want to racially profile... and meanwhile, the companies aren't even paying for, the tax payers are. We're being abused, and we get to pay the bill.

So now, we're going to have a government take over of the police/security at airports as well... Who knows how many problems that will cause, and again the companies will no longer pay for it, but the tax payers will.

Again... rich get richer, and poor get poorer, and the left-wing cheers all the way.
Those aren't mall cops; they belong to the City of Chicago's Aviation department. They aren't trained to the same level as Chicago police. Because of this, they will be and the cost will be rolled over to passengers. Every time someone buys a $10 hamburger they'll be told "Thank David Dao". :)

Especially when they bumped the guy just to put shove their own crew members on there. Apparently, United is one of the most notorious over-bookers when it comes to Airlines. Knowing that alone, I wouldn't fly on United.
The flight wasn't "overbooked". It was a last minute addition.

The airline was Republic, not United.

United is down the list for overbooking. #1 is Southwest.

images

Airlines can take that contract and shove it their collective asses.

AMEN!

They run a business where people need to use their services. Time for the consumer to gain some rights as well.

HALLELUJAH!

You know, like, if I pay for a ticket, show up on time and follow the rules I get to stay on the airplane.

MMM-HMM!
THAT'S RIGHT!
SPEAK IT, BROTHER!

Otherwise, in your line of thinking I can show up to a movie, pay for a ticket and be kicked out of the theater when they over sell. Maybe the next concert I go to I won't be able stay because someone is already in my seat.

LORD HAVE MERCY!
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!
HELL YEAH!

The contract between the airline and customer is horseshit. Time for a change.

AMEN!
FUCKIN' RIGHT!
HALLELUJAH!
YOU GO, GIRL!

Yeah, this is my fear.

Those aren't mall cops; they belong to the City of Chicago's Aviation department. They aren't trained to the same level as Chicago police. Because of this, they will be and the cost will be rolled over to passengers. Every time someone buys a $10 hamburger they'll be told "Thank David Dao". :)
How much does it cost to train a cop?

Based on your exaggeration, you must assume several million dollars each officer.

Yeah, this is my fear.

How much does it cost to train a cop?

Based on your exaggeration, you must assume several million dollars each officer.
Your putting words in my mouth is exaggeration itself. Like your signature, what are you compensating for?

The link below gives some info on the training differences, but not the cost differences. They give the pay of full time Aviation officers as "between $50,000 and $88,000 a year" and all 300 officers costing the city "about $19 million a year". It's not just the difference in training costs, but also payroll. Obviously the City of Chicago does this for cost savings even if it is only a difference of a measly million bucks per year. This incident will probably cause them to change that strategy, use regular cops for airport security and pass those costs to passengers.

What are the Chicago aviation police?

We are not a pagan ancient Mediteranean society and Latin is a dead language.

There are reasons for those things, lets not add ourselves to the list of dead pagan nations.

The culture may be gone and the language relegated to that if scholars and priests, but the relevance of the comment remains as true today as it was centuries ago.

^^^^so what? They were trained officers. They told this guy to get off, after normal attempts failed. Get up and leave, don't try to hug the armrest kick and scream like a 5 year old. Lock him up.
they were not allowed on the airplane, as the Security force...only under specific circumstance of imminent danger to others, and this passenger was not.
Link?

Forum List

Back