Israeli ministers committee authorizes new marriage bill

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
MAZAL TOV: The new bill, the addition to the formal law regarding marriage, was authorized today in the Knesset on second and third call. The new law will change the marriage age in Israel to 18. 'The Council of the child's welfare' blessed the ministers, calling it "An historical day".

Source: NRG in Hebrew.

MAZAL TOV: The new bill, the addition to the formal law regarding marriage, was authorized today in the Knesset on second and third call. The new law will change the marriage age in Israel to 18. 'The Council of the child's welfare' blessed the ministers, calling it "An historical day".

From what age before?

From what age before?

17, though in some cultures they 'ignored' and let them be married at 16.

RE: Israeli ministers committee authorizes new marriage bill
⁜→ et al,

BLUF: I am not sure I understand at all, what this accomplishes.
(Not that it is any of my business.)

(COMMENT)

Is it not true that the "Age of Consent" (Sexual Activity) is 16 years of age. So, if it is possible to be a mother at age 16 years 9 months, what does it accomplish by forbidding the parents to marry? How does that help the child?

SIGIL PAIR.png

Most Respectfully,
R

RE: Israeli ministers committee authorizes new marriage bill
⁜→ et al,

BLUF: I am not sure I understand at all, what this accomplishes.
(Not that it is any of my business.)

(COMMENT)

Is it not true that the "Age of Consent" (Sexual Activity) is 16 years of age. So, if it is possible to be a mother at age 16 years 9 months, what does it accomplish by forbidding the parents to marry? How does that help the child?

SIGIL PAIR.png

Most Respectfully,
R

The age of consent in Israel is 17.
Regardless, Your point about a pregnant child of younger age remains valid.

However, I think the purpose here is different, i.e. criminal liability for parents,
or otherwise caregivers in case a child was neglected without physical or psychological protection, or in case of organized marriage without consent.

It's not to address the question of a newborn, because it's a matter of the couple asking,
the Rabbinate doesn't have the tendency to reject such couples, quiet the opposite,
the tendency is to take special care in such situations, and when recquired allot
the communal funds for the wedding and family support be that living conditions or even education for the young couple, so that foremost the newborn is taken care for.

Forum List

Back