Israel Helping To Heal The World

JStone

Rookie
Jun 29, 2011
Israeli Research Gives Hope For Spinal Cord Injuries :clap2:
What's the most catastrophic illness that can befall us? To me, it's a spinal cord injury (SCI) that results in total paralysis. During a recent visit to Israel, I interviewed Dr. Shimon Rochkind, world-renowned neurosurgeon at the Tel Aviv University Sourasky Medical Center, an expert on SCI.

Every year 12,000 North Americans sustain spinal cord injury. The people involved are usually under the age of 30 and 80% are males. Some, like Christopher Reeves of Superman fame, fall from horses. Others dive into shallow water or are involved in car accidents.

Dr. Rochkind has spent his life trying to accomplish what's said to be impossible. Time and time again we've been told that some tissues of the body can regenerate, but never the spinal cord. Christopher Reeves received the best treatment money could buy, but he never walked again. What I witnessed in Rochkind's laboratory shows that what we've accepted as gospel for centuries is no longer true.

Rochkind first showed me motion pictures of a rat running around his cage. Later, he surgically removed half a centimetre (a quarter of an inch) of the rat's spinal cord which resulted in complete paralysis of the hind legs. Normally without a complete spinal cord, the rat would never walk again.

But motion photos taken several weeks later revealed that the rat was now moving his legs. It was not doing so as perfectly as before, but good enough to get around his cage quickly.

So what had Dr. Rochkind done to partially reverse the paralysis? He had to overcome several problems. First, he had to bridge the gap between the severed nerve, and then nourish the nerve and stimulate its growth. Finally, he had to encourage the first step as one does with an infant.

The first solution was to develop what Rochkind calls a "genetically-engineered implant," thousands of times more difficult than designing a hip replacement. This meant experimenting with several different types of tissue. One implant involved human spinal cord cells. But a major advance was his eventual discovery that it was possible to use cells taken from the lining of the adult human nose.

What tissue will be used in the final implant is unknown, but at the moment it's composed of a highly complex assortment of hyaluronic acid, neuronal growth factor, antioxidants such as vitamin C and other ingredients. This mass of material is encompassed in a soft biodegradable tube placed between the severed nerve endings, acting as a scaffold for the implant.

Had he lived, could Christopher Reeve have walked again? Rochkind is convinced that the possibility will happen within his lifetime. It may not be a perfect walk, but patients with these injuries will not be immobilized for the rest of their lives.

Not all nerve injuries, however, are spinal cord ones. For instance, some involve the peripheral nerves of the arm or legs. It's these types of injuries that cripple thousands of soldiers fighting in Afghanistan and other war sites.

Rochkind's laboratory is making great advances with these injuries. The big problem has always been the rapid loss of muscle mass once a nerve is injured. After all, what's the use of regenerating the nerve if there's no muscle tissue left to function?

For these peripheral injuries, Rochkind is using laser phototherapy, which provides an immediate protective effect. This therapy not only helps to prevent muscle loss, but also helps to regenerate nerves and aids in restoring muscle mass. Laser therapy is given two hours a day for 21 days. The sooner it is started, the better the results.

Researchers in Israel are also trying to use stem cells to produce dopamine, the substance lacking in patients suffering from Parkinson's Disease.

I left Israel impressed and amazed at how this tiny country with no natural resources, fighting for its very existence since 1948, could accomplish so much in research. As they say, it's not the size of the dog that wins the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. And I'd predict that Dr. Rochkind's innovative work is headed for a Nobel Prize in medicine.
Israeli research gives hope for spinal cord injuries | Health & Fitness | Life | Toronto Sun

Winston Churchill :clap2:
How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy.

The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.

No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome.

Amazon.com: The River War (9781598184259): Sir Winston S. Churchill: Books

Israels contributions to peace, mankind & civilization are endless. Amazing what Israel has achieved. Especially considering what Israel has for neighbors to deal with.

Israeli Research Gives Hope For Spinal Cord Injuries :clap2:
What's the most catastrophic illness that can befall us? To me, it's a spinal cord injury (SCI) that results in total paralysis. During a recent visit to Israel, I interviewed Dr. Shimon Rochkind, world-renowned neurosurgeon at the Tel Aviv University Sourasky Medical Center, an expert on SCI.

Every year 12,000 North Americans sustain spinal cord injury. The people involved are usually under the age of 30 and 80% are males. Some, like Christopher Reeves of Superman fame, fall from horses. Others dive into shallow water or are involved in car accidents.

Dr. Rochkind has spent his life trying to accomplish what's said to be impossible. Time and time again we've been told that some tissues of the body can regenerate, but never the spinal cord. Christopher Reeves received the best treatment money could buy, but he never walked again. What I witnessed in Rochkind's laboratory shows that what we've accepted as gospel for centuries is no longer true.

Rochkind first showed me motion pictures of a rat running around his cage. Later, he surgically removed half a centimetre (a quarter of an inch) of the rat's spinal cord which resulted in complete paralysis of the hind legs. Normally without a complete spinal cord, the rat would never walk again.

But motion photos taken several weeks later revealed that the rat was now moving his legs. It was not doing so as perfectly as before, but good enough to get around his cage quickly.

So what had Dr. Rochkind done to partially reverse the paralysis? He had to overcome several problems. First, he had to bridge the gap between the severed nerve, and then nourish the nerve and stimulate its growth. Finally, he had to encourage the first step as one does with an infant.

The first solution was to develop what Rochkind calls a "genetically-engineered implant," thousands of times more difficult than designing a hip replacement. This meant experimenting with several different types of tissue. One implant involved human spinal cord cells. But a major advance was his eventual discovery that it was possible to use cells taken from the lining of the adult human nose.

What tissue will be used in the final implant is unknown, but at the moment it's composed of a highly complex assortment of hyaluronic acid, neuronal growth factor, antioxidants such as vitamin C and other ingredients. This mass of material is encompassed in a soft biodegradable tube placed between the severed nerve endings, acting as a scaffold for the implant.

Had he lived, could Christopher Reeve have walked again? Rochkind is convinced that the possibility will happen within his lifetime. It may not be a perfect walk, but patients with these injuries will not be immobilized for the rest of their lives.

Not all nerve injuries, however, are spinal cord ones. For instance, some involve the peripheral nerves of the arm or legs. It's these types of injuries that cripple thousands of soldiers fighting in Afghanistan and other war sites.

Rochkind's laboratory is making great advances with these injuries. The big problem has always been the rapid loss of muscle mass once a nerve is injured. After all, what's the use of regenerating the nerve if there's no muscle tissue left to function?

For these peripheral injuries, Rochkind is using laser phototherapy, which provides an immediate protective effect. This therapy not only helps to prevent muscle loss, but also helps to regenerate nerves and aids in restoring muscle mass. Laser therapy is given two hours a day for 21 days. The sooner it is started, the better the results.

Researchers in Israel are also trying to use stem cells to produce dopamine, the substance lacking in patients suffering from Parkinson's Disease.

I left Israel impressed and amazed at how this tiny country with no natural resources, fighting for its very existence since 1948, could accomplish so much in research. As they say, it's not the size of the dog that wins the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. And I'd predict that Dr. Rochkind's innovative work is headed for a Nobel Prize in medicine.
Israeli research gives hope for spinal cord injuries | Health & Fitness | Life | Toronto Sun

Winston Churchill :clap2:
How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy.

The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.

No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome.

Amazon.com: The River War (9781598184259): Sir Winston S. Churchill: Books

• Banned
Physician, heal thyself
Not many muslime physicians, monkey. Knowledge is the purview of the Jews.

The only things muslimes excel at are mass murder, wife beating, child honor killing and pedophile worshipping. :puke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl76nw92AJc]Jews and Muslims-Nobel Prize List (Latest) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Helping to diagnose Parkinson's through speech patterns...
:cool:
Voice algorithms spot Parkinson's disease
24 June 2012 - Mr Little wants to create a database of voices to help diagnose Parkinson's
Parkinson's is a devastating disease for those living with the condition and currently there is no cure. Diagnosis can also be slow as there are no blood tests to detect it. But now mathematician Max Little has come up with a non-invasive, cheap test which he hopes will offer a quick new way to identify the disease. He will be kicking off the TEDGlobal conference in Edinburgh calling for volunteers to contribute to a huge voice database. Mr Little has discovered that Parkinson's symptoms can be detected by computer algorithms that analyse voice recordings.

In a blind test of voices, the system was able to spot those with Parkinson's with an accuracy of 86%. Mr Little was recently made a TED Fellow. The non-profit organisation behind the TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference creates 40 such fellowships each year. The programme aims to target innovators under the age of 40 and offers them free entry to conferences and other events.

Intel founder

Mr Little became interested in understanding voice from a mathematical perspective while he was studying for a PhD at Oxford University in 2003. "I was looking for a practical application and I found it in analysing voice disorders, for example when someone's voice has broken down from over-use or after surgery on vocal chords," he told the BBC. "I didn't occur to me at the time that people with Parkinson's and other movement disorders could also be detected by the system." But a chance meeting with someone from Intel changed that.

Andy Grove, one of Intel's founders and ex-chief executive, was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2000 and has since pledged millions of his personal fortune to fund research into the disease. This includes funds for the chipmaker to develop its own projects to monitor the symptoms. "They were using devices that detect breakdown in dexterity and accelerometers but they had also recorded the voices of around 50 patients with Parkinson's," explained Mr Little.

The recordings were detailed as the team had recorded the patients once a week over a six-month period. "They had an enormous amount of data but they didn't know what to do with it. So we wondered whether my technique would work," said Mr Little. "They set me a blind test to see if I can tell them which ones had Parkinson's. I had 86% accuracy using the techniques I'd developed."

More BBC News - Voice algorithms spot Parkinson's disease

Forum List

Back