Israel attacks civilians

this is an excellent example of a story about real death and destruction that the biased whores of the fourth estate will report to better support their own agendas.

haaeretz takes a somewhat different view of the event, saying the mosque was not abandoned but had shooters inside who were doing more than random shooting.

the israelis apologize for accidentally hitting a 12 year old non-combatant when a gunman was really targeted.

and you are reverting to name calling instead of showing your evidence. just because you say something is true does not make it true. show your evidence otherwise all you've given me is empty claims.

You have embarrassed yourself in not even being familiar with the term NGO, in attempting to pass yourself off as knowledgeable about...NGOs.

You're either stupid or ignorant...or, both.

therein lies the difference between us. i have never been and never will be ashamed to admit that i don't know something. i also would never claim to know something without giving credit to the source of that knowledge.

since i have joined usmb, i have observed you to effectively derail the point of this and every other thread related to the middle east with your profane, vulgar, racist judgemental declarations.

you are such a fool that you don`t even realize what a dim bulb you look like to someone like me who has read hundreds of these threads on dozens of sites most days for the past thirty years.

you are cosmic food, sonny. i want to be there when you meet HASHEM you ignorant putz.

you're a zit waiting to be popped.

Stop whining over the fact that I ripped you a new asshole, asshole.

Next time, don't post when ignorant of the subject matter.

Run to mommy and daddy.

RAFAH, (PIC)-- Israeli occupation forces (IOF) razed to the ground Addehnia mosque in Rafah city, south of the Gaza Strip, on Tuesday and bulldozed agricultural lands in the same area.

Local sources told the PIC reporter that IOF soldiers mounting 15 army jeeps and military bulldozers advanced hundreds of meters east of Rafah and bulldozed lands in Addehnia area and leveled the abandoned mosque amidst random firing.

Meanwhile, large numbers of Israeli border police on Tuesday destroyed a number of homes and property for Palestinian citizens in the Negev area, occupied in 1948.

IOF troops raze Rafah mosque

Bogus story.

There is no sovereign Pallie territory to be occupied.

Thus, you are PWNED, once, again, Forum Dunce.

You have embarrassed yourself in not even being familiar with the term NGO, in attempting to pass yourself off as knowledgeable about...NGOs.

You're either stupid or ignorant...or, both.

therein lies the difference between us. i have never been and never will be ashamed to admit that i don't know something. i also would never claim to know something without giving credit to the source of that knowledge.

since i have joined usmb, i have observed you to effectively derail the point of this and every other thread related to the middle east with your profane, vulgar, racist judgemental declarations.

you are such a fool that you don`t even realize what a dim bulb you look like to someone like me who has read hundreds of these threads on dozens of sites most days for the past thirty years.

you are cosmic food, sonny. i want to be there when you meet HASHEM you ignorant putz.

Run to mommy and daddy.

:offtopic:

you are insane sonny and i simply do not wish to engage you. you have nothing worthwhile to say and the asshole ripping is kinda tedious, redundant and childish.

if you can do it, grasp your penis by its glans and insert it in your anus.

Run to mommy and daddy.

:offtopic:

you are insane sonny and i simply do not wish to engage you. you have nothing worthwhile to say and the asshole ripping is kinda tedious, redundant and childish.

if you can do it, grasp your penis by its glans and insert it in your anus.

You are mentally ill. Sad.

this is a little dated but here is an organization that blames both the palestinians and israelis for being too indiscriminate about what they shoot at

Indiscriminate Fire | Human Rights Watch

Indiscriminate Fire
June 30, 2007
Previous
Next
I. Summary

In the northern Gaza Strip and adjoining areas of Israel, attacks by Palestinian armed groups launching locally made rockets known as Qassams and attacks by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) firing 155mm artillery shells have together killed dozens of civilians, wounded hundreds, and greatly disrupted civilian life. After Israel's withdrawal from Gaza in September 2005, Palestinian rocket attacks continued sporadically, spiking in late September, late October and again in December, with Israeli artillery fire following suit beginning in late October. Initially civilian casualties on both sides were light, but the casualties rose dramatically starting in April 2006, when Israel sharply increased its artillery attacks on alleged Palestinian rocket launch sites and also fired closer to residential areas.

Both sides have shown disregard for civilian loss of life in violation of international humanitarian law (IHL): Palestinian armed groups have directed their rockets at Israeli towns; Israeli artillery shelling near populated areas has caused considerable civilian casualties for uncertain military gain as well as at least one serious incident of indiscriminate shelling.

There is an opportunity today to put an end to this needless loss of civilian life: in November 2006, after an artillery attack that killed 23 civilians, the IDF placed a moratorium on use of artillery to respond to rocket attacks in Gaza, and a five-month ceasefire on the part of Hamas the same month led to a decrease in Palestinian rocket attacks in 2007, meaning that for a time rocket attacks were largely limited to the Islamic Jihad organization. Hamas ended its ceasefire on April 24, 2007, firing rockets once again into Israeli territory.[1]Israel has not resumed its use of artillery, responding instead with more precise air-fired missiles to hit targets, but it is unclear how firm this change of practice is. The conduct of Palestinian armed groups and the IDF that led to the spike in civilian casualties in mid-2006 is likely to resume unless the parties learn the lessons of 2006 and definitively change military policies and practices in accordance with their independent obligations under international humanitarian law.

This report is based on on-the-ground assessments of Palestinian armed group rocket attacks and IDF artillery attacks, focusing on the period from the beginning of September 2005 through May 2007. It sets forth recommendations aimed at ending practices that have led to unnecessary civilian death and injury. This report does not address other important issues affecting civilians in Gaza, including deteriorating humanitarian conditions, internecine fighting between Palestinian factions, Israel's destruction of Gaza's sole electrical power plant, and IDF and armed group clashes that have claimed civilian casualties separate from the rocket/artillery attacks.
Palestinian Rocket Attacks

From September 2005 through May 2007, Palestinian armed groups fired almost 2,700 rockets into Israel, killing 4 Israeli civilians, and injuring 75 civilians and at least 9 soldiers, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) (see Appendices III-V for casualty and weapons numbers). Two of those deaths occurred in the last two weeks of May 2007. An additional six civilians died in rocket attacks from mid-2004 through August 2005. Palestinian rockets have also killed at least two and injured at least 21 Palestinian civilians when they landed short of the Israeli border. The rockets, made in Gaza and generically known as "Qassams" after the name of the armed wing of Hamas, the Islamic Resistance Movement, are highly inaccurate and cannot be directed at a specific target.

Communities in the western Negev in Israel, in particular the city of Sderot, have suffered from these attacks. The 10 Israeli civilians killed by Palestinian rocket attacks since mid-2004 range from 2 to 57 in age and include four children. The attacks also have inflicted property damage and created a pervasive climate of fear in affected Israeli communities. Eshel Margalit of Moshav Nativ Ha'asara, for example, told Human Rights Watch how his daughter narrowly escaped becoming a victim of a rocket attack. Margalit said when a siren went off warning of an incoming rocket, his daughter was upstairs in the family study working on the computer: "I yelled to her but she was not eager to leave the computer, she was 18, you know," Margalit said. "She came down and we were running to the secure room when the Qassam hit the house." The rocket penetrated the roof and exploded in the study. "We went up, opened the door, and saw the room was destroyed. When my daughter realized what could have happened she burst into tears The Qassams have changed our lives. There is a lot more stress and anxiety."[2]

Hamas, Islamic Jihad, al-Aqsa Brigades, and the Popular Resistance Committees have all claimed responsibility for firing rockets into Israel, though Hamas largely complied with self-imposed halts to such attacks between February and June 2006 and between November 2006 and late April 2007. These groups have justified their attacks as actions of self-defense and reprisals for Israel's actions against the Palestinians. A typical statement after a strike declares that it is a response "to the crimes of occupation against our children, women, and elderly."[3]

The Palestinian rocket attacks violate international humanitarian law, also known as the laws of war, which governs the conduct of the parties during armed conflict. Where an attack on a military target is intended and that target is in or near a civilian area, the Palestinian rocket attacks are indiscriminate because they cannot distinguish between military targets and civilians. Where there is no intended military target and the rockets are launched into a civilian area, they constitute deliberate attacks against civilians. Given that the rocket attacks have inflicted very little damage on Israeli military assets, their primary purpose seems to be to kill civilians or at least to spread terror among the Israeli civilian population, both of which IHL prohibits.

Even assuming the rocket attacks were intended as reprisal for Israeli attacks that kill and injure civilians, as Palestinian groups often claimed, they still are unlawful under international humanitarian law. The law governing reprisals-defined as otherwise unlawful actions that are considered lawful when used as an enforcement measure in reaction to an adversary's unlawful acts[4]-does not permit direct or indiscriminate attacks on civilians, in part for reasons that these rocket-artillery exchanges demonstrate: even attacks ostensibly launched as reprisals often spur counterattacks by the other side, yielding an endless cycle of civilian injury and death. As the leading treaty in this area provides, one side's targeting of civilians or civilian objects can never justify like targeting by the other side.[5]

Palestinian armed groups also at times endanger civilians by placing their rocket launchers near residential areas in Gaza. The IDF claims that over the course of 2006 Palestinian armed groups moved their launchers increasingly close to residential areas, presumably because return IDF artillery fire had made open fields a less attractive military option. Human Rights Watch's interviews provide evidence that in at least one locale Palestinian groups fired or tried to launch rockets from within 100 meters of populated apartment buildings. While Gaza is densely populated, and open areas are relatively scarce, combatants still have an obligation to take all feasible precautions to protect civilians and this includes avoiding placing launchers within or firing from close proximity to populated areas.
Israeli Artillery Shelling

From September 2005 through May 2007, the same period covered by the rocket attack statistics cited above, the IDF fired 14,617 artillery shells into Gaza. This fire killed at least 59 people, wounded another 270 people, and did significant damage to many civilian structures.[6] Of the 38 Palestinians killed through September 2006, 17 were children under the age of 16, 12 were women, and one was a 60-year-old man; Human Rights Watch, in its field investigations, identified 5 of the remaining 8 men as civilians.[7] A subsequent artillery attack on November 8 killed or mortally wounded 23 and injured at least 40 Palestinians, all civilians. As discussed below, this last incident led to an Israeli moratorium on further use of artillery in Gaza, which continued as this report went to press in mid-June 2007.

Most of the artillery shells that the IDF fired into Gaza in this period landed in open areas, and the great majority did not result in civilian casualties. Many, however, were fired close to civilian areas, and some landed directly on homes and other civilian structures, causing serious harm and loss of life. Human Rights Watch has been unable to find any report or claim that those killed or injured by artillery fire included persons believed to be combatants, and the IDF has not responded to a Human Rights Watch request about whether any Palestinians killed or injured by artillery fire into the Gaza Strip were combatants or believed to be combatants.[8] Israeli artillery strikes in 2006 also left many unexploded shells strewn on the ground that constitute a continuing hazard to lives and livelihoods.

Israeli artillery strikes hitting Beit Hanoun and nearby Beit Lahiya caused considerable civilian casualties and damage to civilian structures. On April 10, 2006, for example, Sofia Gabin told her children to hide in a cement cupboard when she heard explosions nearby. "I was afraid for them. It was the safest place," she said.[9] A shell landed directly on the house, killing her 8-year-old daughter, Hadi, and injuring 10 others. A series of strikes earlier that week leveled several homes belonging to the Abu Shamas family and injured or killed at least three civilians. The frequent shelling has also had a devastating impact on the civilian life of the northern Gaza towns.

-

2006 Marc Garlasco/Human Rights Watch

do you presume that human rights watch doesn't have its biases?

i used to give a lot of money to amnesty international until it became clear they weren't any better than the UN on this issue.

this is a little dated but here is an organization that blames both the palestinians and israelis for being too indiscriminate about what they shoot at

Indiscriminate Fire | Human Rights Watch

Indiscriminate Fire
June 30, 2007
Previous
Next
I. Summary

In the northern Gaza Strip and adjoining areas of Israel, attacks by Palestinian armed groups launching locally made rockets known as Qassams and attacks by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) firing 155mm artillery shells have together killed dozens of civilians, wounded hundreds, and greatly disrupted civilian life. After Israel's withdrawal from Gaza in September 2005, Palestinian rocket attacks continued sporadically, spiking in late September, late October and again in December, with Israeli artillery fire following suit beginning in late October. Initially civilian casualties on both sides were light, but the casualties rose dramatically starting in April 2006, when Israel sharply increased its artillery attacks on alleged Palestinian rocket launch sites and also fired closer to residential areas.

Both sides have shown disregard for civilian loss of life in violation of international humanitarian law (IHL): Palestinian armed groups have directed their rockets at Israeli towns; Israeli artillery shelling near populated areas has caused considerable civilian casualties for uncertain military gain as well as at least one serious incident of indiscriminate shelling.

There is an opportunity today to put an end to this needless loss of civilian life: in November 2006, after an artillery attack that killed 23 civilians, the IDF placed a moratorium on use of artillery to respond to rocket attacks in Gaza, and a five-month ceasefire on the part of Hamas the same month led to a decrease in Palestinian rocket attacks in 2007, meaning that for a time rocket attacks were largely limited to the Islamic Jihad organization. Hamas ended its ceasefire on April 24, 2007, firing rockets once again into Israeli territory.[1]Israel has not resumed its use of artillery, responding instead with more precise air-fired missiles to hit targets, but it is unclear how firm this change of practice is. The conduct of Palestinian armed groups and the IDF that led to the spike in civilian casualties in mid-2006 is likely to resume unless the parties learn the lessons of 2006 and definitively change military policies and practices in accordance with their independent obligations under international humanitarian law.

This report is based on on-the-ground assessments of Palestinian armed group rocket attacks and IDF artillery attacks, focusing on the period from the beginning of September 2005 through May 2007. It sets forth recommendations aimed at ending practices that have led to unnecessary civilian death and injury. This report does not address other important issues affecting civilians in Gaza, including deteriorating humanitarian conditions, internecine fighting between Palestinian factions, Israel's destruction of Gaza's sole electrical power plant, and IDF and armed group clashes that have claimed civilian casualties separate from the rocket/artillery attacks.
Palestinian Rocket Attacks

From September 2005 through May 2007, Palestinian armed groups fired almost 2,700 rockets into Israel, killing 4 Israeli civilians, and injuring 75 civilians and at least 9 soldiers, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) (see Appendices III-V for casualty and weapons numbers). Two of those deaths occurred in the last two weeks of May 2007. An additional six civilians died in rocket attacks from mid-2004 through August 2005. Palestinian rockets have also killed at least two and injured at least 21 Palestinian civilians when they landed short of the Israeli border. The rockets, made in Gaza and generically known as "Qassams" after the name of the armed wing of Hamas, the Islamic Resistance Movement, are highly inaccurate and cannot be directed at a specific target.

Communities in the western Negev in Israel, in particular the city of Sderot, have suffered from these attacks. The 10 Israeli civilians killed by Palestinian rocket attacks since mid-2004 range from 2 to 57 in age and include four children. The attacks also have inflicted property damage and created a pervasive climate of fear in affected Israeli communities. Eshel Margalit of Moshav Nativ Ha'asara, for example, told Human Rights Watch how his daughter narrowly escaped becoming a victim of a rocket attack. Margalit said when a siren went off warning of an incoming rocket, his daughter was upstairs in the family study working on the computer: "I yelled to her but she was not eager to leave the computer, she was 18, you know," Margalit said. "She came down and we were running to the secure room when the Qassam hit the house." The rocket penetrated the roof and exploded in the study. "We went up, opened the door, and saw the room was destroyed. When my daughter realized what could have happened she burst into tears The Qassams have changed our lives. There is a lot more stress and anxiety."[2]

Hamas, Islamic Jihad, al-Aqsa Brigades, and the Popular Resistance Committees have all claimed responsibility for firing rockets into Israel, though Hamas largely complied with self-imposed halts to such attacks between February and June 2006 and between November 2006 and late April 2007. These groups have justified their attacks as actions of self-defense and reprisals for Israel's actions against the Palestinians. A typical statement after a strike declares that it is a response "to the crimes of occupation against our children, women, and elderly."[3]

The Palestinian rocket attacks violate international humanitarian law, also known as the laws of war, which governs the conduct of the parties during armed conflict. Where an attack on a military target is intended and that target is in or near a civilian area, the Palestinian rocket attacks are indiscriminate because they cannot distinguish between military targets and civilians. Where there is no intended military target and the rockets are launched into a civilian area, they constitute deliberate attacks against civilians. Given that the rocket attacks have inflicted very little damage on Israeli military assets, their primary purpose seems to be to kill civilians or at least to spread terror among the Israeli civilian population, both of which IHL prohibits.

Even assuming the rocket attacks were intended as reprisal for Israeli attacks that kill and injure civilians, as Palestinian groups often claimed, they still are unlawful under international humanitarian law. The law governing reprisals-defined as otherwise unlawful actions that are considered lawful when used as an enforcement measure in reaction to an adversary's unlawful acts[4]-does not permit direct or indiscriminate attacks on civilians, in part for reasons that these rocket-artillery exchanges demonstrate: even attacks ostensibly launched as reprisals often spur counterattacks by the other side, yielding an endless cycle of civilian injury and death. As the leading treaty in this area provides, one side's targeting of civilians or civilian objects can never justify like targeting by the other side.[5]

Palestinian armed groups also at times endanger civilians by placing their rocket launchers near residential areas in Gaza. The IDF claims that over the course of 2006 Palestinian armed groups moved their launchers increasingly close to residential areas, presumably because return IDF artillery fire had made open fields a less attractive military option. Human Rights Watch's interviews provide evidence that in at least one locale Palestinian groups fired or tried to launch rockets from within 100 meters of populated apartment buildings. While Gaza is densely populated, and open areas are relatively scarce, combatants still have an obligation to take all feasible precautions to protect civilians and this includes avoiding placing launchers within or firing from close proximity to populated areas.
Israeli Artillery Shelling

From September 2005 through May 2007, the same period covered by the rocket attack statistics cited above, the IDF fired 14,617 artillery shells into Gaza. This fire killed at least 59 people, wounded another 270 people, and did significant damage to many civilian structures.[6] Of the 38 Palestinians killed through September 2006, 17 were children under the age of 16, 12 were women, and one was a 60-year-old man; Human Rights Watch, in its field investigations, identified 5 of the remaining 8 men as civilians.[7] A subsequent artillery attack on November 8 killed or mortally wounded 23 and injured at least 40 Palestinians, all civilians. As discussed below, this last incident led to an Israeli moratorium on further use of artillery in Gaza, which continued as this report went to press in mid-June 2007.

Most of the artillery shells that the IDF fired into Gaza in this period landed in open areas, and the great majority did not result in civilian casualties. Many, however, were fired close to civilian areas, and some landed directly on homes and other civilian structures, causing serious harm and loss of life. Human Rights Watch has been unable to find any report or claim that those killed or injured by artillery fire included persons believed to be combatants, and the IDF has not responded to a Human Rights Watch request about whether any Palestinians killed or injured by artillery fire into the Gaza Strip were combatants or believed to be combatants.[8] Israeli artillery strikes in 2006 also left many unexploded shells strewn on the ground that constitute a continuing hazard to lives and livelihoods.

Israeli artillery strikes hitting Beit Hanoun and nearby Beit Lahiya caused considerable civilian casualties and damage to civilian structures. On April 10, 2006, for example, Sofia Gabin told her children to hide in a cement cupboard when she heard explosions nearby. "I was afraid for them. It was the safest place," she said.[9] A shell landed directly on the house, killing her 8-year-old daughter, Hadi, and injuring 10 others. A series of strikes earlier that week leveled several homes belonging to the Abu Shamas family and injured or killed at least three civilians. The frequent shelling has also had a devastating impact on the civilian life of the northern Gaza towns.

-

2006 Marc Garlasco/Human Rights Watch

Dumbass, that's the same Marc Garlasco fired by HRW for being a Nazi fetishist...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/world/middleeast/15nazi.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/31/expert-quits-rights-group-over-nazi-memorabilia/

Good one, fool. :clap2:

Last edited:
would somebody be so kind as to publish a list of what they consider to be fair, unbiased , objective media sources for the middle east? is there even one broadcaster or publisher who isn't motivated by some agenda other than reporting the news?

this marc garlasco?

220px-Marc_Garlasco.jpg

btw, he resigned from HRW in February, 2010.

would somebody be so kind as to publish a list of what they consider to be fair, unbiased , objective media sources for the middle east? is there even one broadcaster or publisher who isn't motivated by some agenda other than reporting the news?

Why would you ask a bunch of skinheads and neo-Nazis?

the problem is that with respect to this issue, you probably won't find a lot of people without an ax to grind of some sort. it's clear that the U.N. has done a hack job on Israel given that of the 300 something resolutions passed by the security council, over 200 are directed at israel. surely with all of the terrible things happening in the world, israel does not deserve the lion's share of criticism.

israel seems to be judged by a standard far more stringent than anyone would direct at any other country. and while certainly there are fair criticims, when those criticisms are raised without discussion of terrorist acts, such as the firing of missiles into s'derot, then i think one can discount the source of the criticisms.

in determining what is fair criticism and what isn't, perhaps the Report on Global Anti-Semitism prepared by our state department would be helpful.

Report on Global Anti-Semitism

it appears mr gelasco was jammed for a collection of memorabilia that had nothing to do with his belief systems (B.S.)

it is clearly a waste of time to provide material to a crowd that is hell bent on defaming everything and everybody that isn't in lockstep with their own agenda and world view.

let me be clear on one thing: whenever there is a violent conflict, i consider all participants to be in the wrong. clearly, there is a history of both arabs and jews slaughtering non-combatants.

none of you naysayers can address that issue? apparently it is more entertaining to wallow in name-calling.

it appears mr gelasco was jammed for a collection of memorabilia that had nothing to do with his belief systems (B.S.)

it is clearly a waste of time to provide material to a crowd that is hell bent on defaming everything and everybody that isn't in lockstep with their own agenda and world view.

let me be clear on one thing: whenever there is a violent conflict, i consider all participants to be in the wrong. clearly, there is a history of both arabs and jews slaughtering non-combatants.

none of you naysayers can address that issue? apparently it is more entertaining to wallow in name-calling.

Then, there is the embarrassing matter of Human Rights Watch caught red-handed soliciting donations in Saudi Arabia, the worst human rights violator in the world (6 beheadings in just one month last year) by boasting of its harrassment of Israel...
Human Rights Watch Goes to Saudi Arabia - WSJ.com

let me be clear on one thing: whenever there is a violent conflict, i consider all participants to be in the wrong.

The consequence of mental illness on your part. The Allies were in the wrong in World War II, dope?

like the wall street urinal and a pro-israel jewish college professor are any more believable?. ho ho ho

like the wall street urinal and a pro-israel jewish college professor are any more believable?. ho ho ho

first, i hope you're not talking to me in terms of the nature of the debate. i showed you what i believe clouds this issue.

so if they're jewish they're not credible? interestingly, i know my own pov is probably more moderate on this issue than many, much to the chagrin of the more neo-con among us. i know i'm moderate because i get called names on this issue by both sides. i figure that's a feather in my cap.

but i'm afraid nazis and groups that ostensibly watch out for human rights, but fundraise in saudi arabia aren't exactly going to be sources i would take very seriously.

i think we can all agree that the outlets known as MSM are going to have their leanings in accordance with the ideology of the major stockholders and their management team.

to my knowledge, only avrum natan, as captain of the "Shalom", was broadcasting unbiased, non-partisan news about the middle east.

in this instance, i found what looked like a balanced analysis of the indiscriminate fire of both sides and instead of discussing the article, it was trashed not on its merits or lack thereof, but on the merit of HRW to make the observations. that is a variant of the ad hominem fallacy.

Forum List

Back