Is what's on tv random or deliberate?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
As someone who watches lots of tv, I've concluded it's not random but coincides with whatever's going on in the world.

- How many times has "300" been on in recent memory? Most West vs East movie ever made.
- Why do prequels and sequels get aired around the time the next in the sequence is coming out?
- Why are the astronomy docs about the end of the world or universe on on Sundays?
- Why are so many shows a story about a little insignificant guy vs a major conspiracy or big seemingly undefeatable bad guy?
- Why are all shows about the US government from such a completely pro-pov where the government is not only competant but also 'good?'

What's on tv isn't an accident. It answers the narrative of world events but is also shaping them. It's conditioning. Since Paris, I notice a lot of airings have been cancelled and different ones on in their place. And a lot of metaphorical us vs them themed storylines on, more pro-government anti-terrorists themed selections on, etc.

Or it might just be another tinfoil hat thing you casually dismiss since the government programming its citizens through tv obviously could never be because it wouldn't be efficient...

the 3 major networks all carry the same stories nightly.....an in depth report is about 1.5 minutes....which appears to be the attention span of the average voter...the 1.5 minutes they listen to someone like trump...and then tone out the problems with what he just said

i.e.

trump: built a wall and make mexico pay for it...

voters: begin jacking off to the thought of getting rid of mexicans and building a wall...and dont pay a bit of attention to the details and the fucking devil is always in the details..

trump voters::wtf:

As someone who watches lots of tv, I've concluded it's not random but coincides with whatever's going on in the world.

- How many times has "300" been on in recent memory? Most West vs East movie ever made.
- Why do prequels and sequels get aired around the time the next in the sequence is coming out?
- Why are the astronomy docs about the end of the world or universe on on Sundays?
- Why are so many shows a story about a little insignificant guy vs a major conspiracy or big seemingly undefeatable bad guy?
- Why are all shows about the US government from such a completely pro-pov where the government is not only competant but also 'good?'

What's on tv isn't an accident. It answers the narrative of world events but is also shaping them. It's conditioning. Since Paris, I notice a lot of airings have been cancelled and different ones on in their place. And a lot of metaphorical us vs them themed storylines on, more pro-government anti-terrorists themed selections on, etc.

Or it might just be another tinfoil hat thing you casually dismiss since the government programming its citizens through tv obviously could never be because it wouldn't be efficient...

I have a simple remedy. I don't watch tv. Binge-watch certain recorded series. (Watched all of Breaking Bad in about two weeks) I Get 99% of my news from internet and the odd newspaper. I watch countless documentaries on the web. Once in a while something like the recent debates will turn on the tv.

P.S. sometimes these forums stimulate me to research interesting topics on the fly so while most stand-alone posts are little more than hate-filled anti-Liberal anti - Obama rants if I intend to reply to them I have to assure myself I have as much of the truth on my side as possible. So for instance I might spend two hours or more refreshing my memory on something like my knowledge of labor union history and the good they have accomplished, and then as often as not I decide the OP is too shallow and the likelihood of a good debate is so low replying is a waste of time and good info. (This happened today in fact but when the chance arises I'm prepared with a good defense of Unions and their tremendous benefits to your nation and working class/middle class America.

Media can't be random. We don't watch much TV but my wife will tape HGTV shows. House Hunters International, Fixer upper, or love it or list it are among her favorites. I tape the Daily show as it is a bit of reality in a made up world. Funny too. Lately we've watched a bit of Tiny House shows. Our first home would be characterized a tiny house by today's monstrosities. Sunday football as well as NASCAR with our sons fills out the list. Sixty minutes too.

If you are paranoid, you watch shows like '24' I never watched it, but the ads were enough to realize you are in Trump fantasyland. Watching all these CSI shows would make one crazy I think? I'm looking for a return to Rocky and Bullwinkle. lol

Off the personal, TV reflects the times or the aspirations and fantasies of the times. One of my most interesting college classes was on film and history which covered the world wars till the fifties. Is keeping up with the Kardashians a reflection of our values? How about Survivor or that race show? Odd stuff. Someone who watches them can tell us what they mean? Distractions can be good - up to a point as mom would have said.

One of the most curious beliefs about TV and media is that it is liberal. If media were liberal it would comment on poverty, on wages, on the exploitation of people by Walmart or Amazon, on outsourcing, on corporate power, but it cannot as it is corporate owned and operated. And so it goes....

"The corporate grip on opinion in the United States is one of the wonders of the Western world. No First World country has ever managed to eliminate so entirely from its media all objectivity - much less dissent." Gore Vidal

"For decades conservatives have been demonizing government and not enough has been done to defend it. Ever since Ronald Reagan declared in 1981 that "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem," Republicans have been waging a political war against this institution. They have been joined in this anti-government crusade by libertarian thinkers, Tea Party activists, right-wing media pundits, and wealthy corporate lobbies. This powerful political coalition blithely ignores anything good about government and conducts a relentless smear campaign against this institution. They constantly play upon the fears and insecurities of average Americans and encourage them to blame all their problems on big bad government." Government is Good - An Unapologetic Defense of a Vital Institution

"The organization of American society is an interlocking system of semi-monopolies notoriously venal, an electorate notoriously unenlightened, misled by a mass media notoriously phony." Paul Goodman

'Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free' by Charles P. Pierce

Forum List

Back