CDZ Is this the way it is or the way that it should be ?

And when the democrats instituted Poll Taxes and Literacy tests to keep blacks from voting...there was really no reason to oppose those laws either..right?

There was no rational basis for those rules. There is a rational basis to require people handling a lethal weapon to do so after proving that they're not dangerous and after proving they're competent to do so.

Oh, and even 6th graders know those were Dixiecrats, who are Republicans now.

Nice attempt at an equivalency, though.
Ratinal basis is not what is required either - it is a compelling state interest. As there have been gun control measures passed all over the planet that show gun control does not reduce homicides the compelling state interest not present. It simply does not work - you want to address homicides and death then you need to address the underlying CAUSE rather than the instrument in which it is carried out.

I see, so the states don't have a "compelling interest" in keeping their citizens safe?

I'd say that's almost their ONLY interest.

Americans use guns 1,500,000 times a year to stop violent criminal attack and to save lives....many times stopping mass public shooters.........vs........8,124 gun murders in 2014....

1,500,,000 to 8,124

That is a compelling interest in keeping Americans safe....

Again, bullshit. "Brandishing" a gun is not "using it".

You can bring up all the bullshit NRA statistics you want. The only one that really matters is: Which country has more gun deaths than any other industrialized nation in the world?
Yes, it is.

To deny that is asinine. You are attempting to define 'use' in a way that essentially precludes any possible position but your own. That is not going to fly.

Drawing a weapon in self defense that causes a criminal to flee is using a weapon. Not only is such the best case scenario for a self defense event, it also happens to be the most common by far.

There was no rational basis for those rules. There is a rational basis to require people handling a lethal weapon to do so after proving that they're not dangerous and after proving they're competent to do so.

Ratinal basis is not what is required either - it is a compelling state interest. As there have been gun control measures passed all over the planet that show gun control does not reduce homicides the compelling state interest not present. It simply does not work - you want to address homicides and death then you need to address the underlying CAUSE rather than the instrument in which it is carried out.

I see, so the states don't have a "compelling interest" in keeping their citizens safe?

Americans use guns 1,500,000 times a year to stop violent criminal attack and to save lives....many times stopping mass public shooters.........vs........8,124 gun murders in 2014....

1,500,,000 to 8,124

You can bring up all the bullshit NRA statistics you want. The only one that really matters is: Which country has more gun deaths than any other industrialized nation in the world?
Yes, it is.

To deny that is asinine. You are attempting to define 'use' in a way that essentially precludes any possible position but your own. That is not going to fly.

Drawing a weapon in self defense that causes a criminal to flee is using a weapon. Not only is such the best case scenario for a self defense event, it also happens to be the most common by far.

Yeah, and the "survey" was done by alleged gun owners with alleged fantasy stories to tell about how they saved the day.

No motive to lie there at all.

Then obviously there's no reason to oppose such laws and regulations.

And when the democrats instituted Poll Taxes and Literacy tests to keep blacks from voting...there was really no reason to oppose those laws either..right?

I explicitly stated that further gun control measures do not accomplish that.

Those measures will not keep their citizens safe. It accomplishes nothing at all.

And you're explicitly wrong, as every other civilized nation on earth can tell you.

Ignorance and racism. The GOP tea mixture of choice.

Racism is the core idea of the democrat party, not the Republican Party....Republicans don't care about race...it is all the democrats think about...

Indeed, that's because Republicans like to pretend things like slavery and Jim Crow never happened.

Slavery and Jim Crow were things the democrat party did.....the Republican Party fought against both of them...try to do some research before you post....

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Votes for '64 Civil Rights bill, broken down by party:

Dems: 197
Pubs: 153.

LOL @ you

Yeah...look at all the actual civil rights acts before the democrats wised up and realized that they couldn't murder enough blacks to keep them from voting...so on the last one...they jumped on the band wagon......cause LBJ said he would have the "n" words voting democrat for 200 years.......and the 1964 act also gave the government more power over private businesses...which is another thing democrats love......

Uh, that wasn't the last one. The Voting Rights act of 1965 was also outvoted by Democrats, 268-142.

The Dems who DID NOT vote for the Voting Rights Act or the Civil Rights act left the Democratic party and found welcome arms in the devoutly racist Republican party. It's called the "southern strategy" and it's usually required reading in 11th grade civics. I understand if you didn't get that far.

. What's impossible ? That if I want to attend a rally that is divisive but peaceful, and if I feel the need to carry my weapon for protection while there, then your saying that there is no permit process for me to do so or that it is impossible to have me fill out a form to grant me the authority to carry openly my weapon at the rally in which I am seeking to attend for my personal protection ? A permit in which puts my name on a granted permit list of possible carry holders in which may be attending the rally and attending it while armed ?
No.
I'm saying that it's impossible to know who is carrying a weapon and who is not. I'm saying that a permit does nothing. I'm saying whether there are laws, restrictions, or check points, or not, people that want to bring weapons to marches and rallies will do so. How is anyone going to control such? So, why even get a permit? What real purpose does a permit serve? Those that have no intention to harm anyone, shouldn't be worried about anyway. And the bad guys that do have intentions to harm someone, aren't going to apply for permit.

It's basically the same as stupid gun control and attempting to get weapons off our streets. It's impossible.
. I guess I'm mainly talking about open carry like the situation was in Dallas... Yes concealed carry is just that, but if prohibited at a rally or event, then I wouldn't want the law to find me packing at a rally or event if it is not lawful to do so at the specific event. Right Sonny ? An event could OK open or concealed carry, but shouldn't the event organizers accompanied by law enforcement set the guidelines and rules for such ? Otherwise there could be a permit process that would grant permission or not to those who would want to carry openly or concealed at the event. This way law enforcement along with the event organizers might at least know who is packing, and why they are packing at the event right ?
Only the honest people would come forth and apply for such a permit. Those intent on doing harm would never do such a thing. How would law enforcement personnel know who has what unless they set up security check points like airports have? And, who's to say that someone intent on doing harm, wouldn't do as the sniper did from outside the secure zone? A sniper can pick people off from a 1,000 yards away, or farther.

And, unless every single person is scanned and searched, and there is a secure area that no one can enter without passing through a security check point, how will anyone be sure that only those with a permit have arms? In other words, at protests, rallies, riots, and sudden gatherings into the streets, how would it work?
. All areas of concern & question can be addressed if wanted to in this nation. Rallies, Marches & gatherings should have designated areas in which the permits are written for. Any activities committed by those protestors that are rallying outside of the areas granted by the permit for the rallies, marches & gatherings, will be in violation of the overall permit that covers the event. People that are supposed to be attending the event, but are seen carrying outside the event or area in which the permit doesn't cover, then they are subject to questioning, possible arrest or their weapons confiscated. Permits can be written for specific areas anywhere that there is a safe and proper facility, park, mall or tract of land in which the two parties might agree upon as a great place for an event, rallies, march or etc. After that is agreed upon, then the boundaries can be set for the permit, and the rules written for it.
This whole Texas event makes one think about how to have these events safely for all, and especially for the police after Dallas.

they already had everything you want.....and then a criminal came in and ignored all of your rules...and murdered police officers.........your permit process would not have stopped that guy one bit....you could have barred all normal, law abiding gun owners from having guns at that march.....and he still would have shown up and murdered police officers....

why is this such a hard concept for you guys to understand?
. Could be, but it would have been a much easier process or task afterwards (for the law or investigators), if they were able to pull the information or record from the permit files that were granted, and this in order to clear the people carrying the weapons easier by knowing (per documentation) the reasoning behind why they were carrying at the event in which was stated by them when applying for the permit. It's just another layer for the investigators to work with is all. You say this guy just came in on his own, and staked out a position to shoot at, and then kill cops? The question is did the open carry conceal his position and intention from the cops until it was to late ? After that the confusion began because of not knowing who was friend or foe in the situation. The requiring of a permit for such an event, might detour possible would be criminals from just entering an event undetected for fear of sticking out like a sore thumb or being seen as out of place by the monitors. The permit could come with an identity paint that can be issued with the permit, and worn by the permit holder during the event.

Last edited:
I'm for guns, and I'm for people owning them, and I'm for people owning them responsibly in our society. What I'm talking about here mainly, is the unique situation that resulted in chaos and the police getting set up, and then murdered in a very confused situation. We don't need that to happen or to be exploited again.

The tactics used to set the police up, should be studied, and countered by intelligent people, and that's what I hope we all are (Intelligent).

1,500,,000 to 8,124

Yes, it is.

Yeah, and the "survey" was done by alleged gun owners with alleged fantasy stories to tell about how they saved the day.

The 1,500,000 defensive gun uses was found by the bill clinton Department of Justice research on gun self defense........with the intent of debunking Dr. Gary Kleck's work....and all they did was confirm a large number of defensive gun uses....

Those measures will not keep their citizens safe. It accomplishes nothing at all.

And you're explicitly wrong, as every other civilized nation on earth can tell you.

No....you are wrong. Those countries have different criminal sub cultures...where murder is not part of the equation...violence and torture are, they just don't murder as often.....

Please explain......Britain has all the gun control that you want, and even confiscated guns....when they actually confiscated guns...what happened? Their gun crime rate stayed the same........and last year it went up 4%...and their violent crime rate went up 27%.....how did that happen?

Racism is the core idea of the democrat party, not the Republican Party....Republicans don't care about race...it is all the democrats think about...

Indeed, that's because Republicans like to pretend things like slavery and Jim Crow never happened.

Slavery and Jim Crow were things the democrat party did.....the Republican Party fought against both of them...try to do some research before you post....

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL @ you

Yeah...look at all the actual civil rights acts before the democrats wised up and realized that they couldn't murder enough blacks to keep them from voting...so on the last one...they jumped on the band wagon......cause LBJ said he would have the "n" words voting democrat for 200 years.......and the 1964 act also gave the government more power over private businesses...which is another thing democrats love......

Uh, that wasn't the last one. The Voting Rights act of 1965 was also outvoted by Democrats, 268-142.

The Dems who DID NOT vote for the Voting Rights Act or the Civil Rights act left the Democratic party and found welcome arms in the devoutly racist Republican party. It's called the "southern strategy" and it's usually required reading in 11th grade civics. I understand if you didn't get that far.

The last two.....after all the real civil rights acts were passed...........the 64 act and the 65 act came after the democrats failed to murder blacks into not voting......and the smarter racists in the democrat party realized they would need blacks to vote democrat in the future if they wanted any political power in this country....so instead of murdering blacks....they got them hooked on government welfare.........

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL @ you

Yeah...no one believes that lie anymore...too many ways to show it is a lie ........ The democrats...who owned black slaves, started the klan, started jim crow and Poll Taxes and Literacy tests, lynched and fire bombed blacks...did not over night become non-racists.......and Republicans, who fought to free the slaves...as the party created to fight slavery, who fought to protect the newly freed slaves from their former democrat masters, and fought to give the newly freed slaves their American rights...did not become, overnight, a racist party......

To think that actually happened is to show how weak your mind is.....

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL @ you

And there was no Southern Strategy......we have shown this over and over again with actual research....that is a democrat lie they tell blacks to keep them voting democrat.....even though the democrats are the party of racism...

No.
I'm saying that it's impossible to know who is carrying a weapon and who is not. I'm saying that a permit does nothing. I'm saying whether there are laws, restrictions, or check points, or not, people that want to bring weapons to marches and rallies will do so. How is anyone going to control such? So, why even get a permit? What real purpose does a permit serve? Those that have no intention to harm anyone, shouldn't be worried about anyway. And the bad guys that do have intentions to harm someone, aren't going to apply for permit.

It's basically the same as stupid gun control and attempting to get weapons off our streets. It's impossible.
. I guess I'm mainly talking about open carry like the situation was in Dallas... Yes concealed carry is just that, but if prohibited at a rally or event, then I wouldn't want the law to find me packing at a rally or event if it is not lawful to do so at the specific event. Right Sonny ? An event could OK open or concealed carry, but shouldn't the event organizers accompanied by law enforcement set the guidelines and rules for such ? Otherwise there could be a permit process that would grant permission or not to those who would want to carry openly or concealed at the event. This way law enforcement along with the event organizers might at least know who is packing, and why they are packing at the event right ?
Only the honest people would come forth and apply for such a permit. Those intent on doing harm would never do such a thing. How would law enforcement personnel know who has what unless they set up security check points like airports have? And, who's to say that someone intent on doing harm, wouldn't do as the sniper did from outside the secure zone? A sniper can pick people off from a 1,000 yards away, or farther.

And, unless every single person is scanned and searched, and there is a secure area that no one can enter without passing through a security check point, how will anyone be sure that only those with a permit have arms? In other words, at protests, rallies, riots, and sudden gatherings into the streets, how would it work?
. All areas of concern & question can be addressed if wanted to in this nation. Rallies, Marches & gatherings should have designated areas in which the permits are written for. Any activities committed by those protestors that are rallying outside of the areas granted by the permit for the rallies, marches & gatherings, will be in violation of the overall permit that covers the event. People that are supposed to be attending the event, but are seen carrying outside the event or area in which the permit doesn't cover, then they are subject to questioning, possible arrest or their weapons confiscated. Permits can be written for specific areas anywhere that there is a safe and proper facility, park, mall or tract of land in which the two parties might agree upon as a great place for an event, rallies, march or etc. After that is agreed upon, then the boundaries can be set for the permit, and the rules written for it.
This whole Texas event makes one think about how to have these events safely for all, and especially for the police after Dallas.

they already had everything you want.....and then a criminal came in and ignored all of your rules...and murdered police officers.........your permit process would not have stopped that guy one bit....you could have barred all normal, law abiding gun owners from having guns at that march.....and he still would have shown up and murdered police officers....

why is this such a hard concept for you guys to understand?
. Could be, but it would have been a much easier process or task afterwards (for the law or investigators), if they were able to pull the information or record from the permit files that were granted, and this in order to clear the people carrying the weapons easier by knowing (per documentation) the reasoning behind why they were carrying at the event in which was stated by them when applying for the permit. It's just another layer for the investigators to work with is all. You say this guy just came in on his own, and staked out a position to shoot at, and then kill cops? The question is did the open carry conceal his position and intention from the cops until it was to late ? After that the confusion began because of not knowing who was friend or foe in the situation. The requiring of a permit for such an event, might detour possible would be criminals from just entering an event undetected for fear of sticking out like a sore thumb or being seen as out of place by the monitors. The permit could come with an identity paint that can be issued with the permit, and worn by the permit holder during the event.

You just aren't getting it. They could have completely banned all carry.....and this guy would not have cared......the permit does nothing but add another layer of paperwork for the law abiding gun owner...that's it......

The shooter drove into the parking garage, he wasn't in the march at all......

He had his guns in the trunk of his car........

What is it with you and paperwork?

Are you always this slow?

The tactics used to set the police up, should be studied, and countered by intelligent people, and that's what I hope we all are (Intelligent).

You can't counter them....he fired a rifle from a distant, concealed position............

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL @ you

And this is why you guys can no longer get away with lies.....the internet can counter your lies in ways that the old library card catalogue could never do......

Nixon’s Southern Strategy: The Democrat-Lie Keeping Their Control Over the Black Community | Black Quill and Ink

Believe it or not, the entire myth was created by an unknown editor at the New York Times who didn’t do his job and read a story he was given to edit.

On May 17, 1970, the New York Times published an article written by James Boyd. The headline, written by our unknown editor, was “Nixon’s Southern Strategy: It’s All in the Charts.”

The article was about a very controversial political analyst named Kevin Phillips. Phillips believed that everyone voted according to their ethnic background, not according to their individual beliefs. And all a candidate had to do is frame their message according to whatever moves a particular ethnic group.

Phillips offered his services to the Nixon campaign. But if our unknown editor had bothered to read the story completely, he would’ve seen that Phillip’s and his theory was completely rejected!

Boyd wrote in his article, “Though Phillips’s ideas for an aggressive anti-liberal campaign strategy that would hasten defection of the working-class democrats to the republicans did not prevail in the 1968 campaign, he won the respect John Mitchell.” (Mitchell was a well-known Washington insider at the time).

A lazy, negligent editor partially read the story. And wrote a headline for it that attributed Nixon’s campaign success–to a plan he rejected.

In fact, Phillips isn’t even mentioned in Nixon’s memoirs.

Is all of this the result of a negligent copy editor at the New York Times? Or did they purposely work with the Democrat Party to create this myth? That has crossed my mind and it’s certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.

No, I am not. You make a blank statement without facts.

right you are-its absurd to think that people who commit felonies are more likely to be disarmed by gun bans than honest people who conscientiously follow the laws

Correct.

.... and??
Actually, the less guns there are in circulation, the less likely criminals have access to guns. In countries where there are strict gun laws, the criminals also have less guns.
Except that gun control laws do not change homicide rates at all. They certainly do not bring down other crime rates as well.

This is the case over and over and over again everywhere gun control is tried. It simply does not pan out.

Credible :link:
I have done this all opver this board. You might have seen these links several times.

Many of the graphics are from Just Facts
England:
Really? You can't figure it out?

He stops being a good guy the second he shoots the clerk.

What special kind of retard do you have to be to think the NRA would consider a someone who shoots a clerk a good guy?

Without universal background checks, you are guaranteeing that bad guys will more easily be able to get guns.

The NRA opposes universal background checks, and want's everybody (even crooks) to be easily able to buy from a private seller with no checks of any kind.

You figure it out.
Fallacy. Even with universal background checks bad guys will get guns.
What do you think? Bad guys will be deterred by a background check? No one will sell to a bad guy without a bvackground check? Think, man! Think!!

Sure, they will be deterred. Background checks will eliminate the possibility of many guns from their purchase. I never said it would make it impossible, just that it would be much harder.
That assertion is not backed up by facts.

The fist problem that you have failed to address (and has been pointed out many times) is that the law is completely unenforceable. Tell me, how is a law that CANNOT BE ENFORCED supposed to make it more difficult for criminals to buy guns?

Second, there is no data showing that further gun control measures will do squat to reduce crime or homicides. What is the ultimate goal here? If it is safety then gun control falls flat on its face.

The ultimate goal of any gun control measure must be to reduce crime. This is most easily measured in homicides as that is the most prevalent target of gun control:
england-full.png

England outright banned guns and the effect on homicides? Zero. That is the base problem that you have with gun control laws - if you are willing to commit homicide or any other major offense then the extra law that says you cant have a gun is utterly meaningless - period. This has flushed out a myriad of places all across the globe as well as here. All your assertions are NOT backed up by any hard data.

And England is moving for more restrictive laws - if it doesn't work we can always try more right? That is exactly what gun control advocates want here. We have a shit ton of gun control laws on the books and all you can come up with is more that is not effective in the first place.

If outright banning does nothing, what makes you think that background checks that are completely unenforceable will be effective?
Australia (using their own governmental data):
You're not very busy if you're posting on here. Your assertion is null and void.
No, it isn't dumbass. Now go play, you bore me.

Null and void. The further you carry this without backing up your assertion, the more ridiculous you look.
What a whiny little pussy you are. Here asswipe, read it and weep: Did gun control work in Australia - The Washington Post
the direct data disagrees with the assertions of that paper though.

When you mess with the data you can make it say anything you want. Mess with it by, say, taking large amounts of time and covering up the fact that there was almost no change at all in homicide rates from 96 (when the law was passed) and 03. Why, if the law was affective at all, did it take 7 years to see ANY GAINS?

Why are the homicide rates going down being attributed to a law that passed 7 years before it started to occur?

fig012.png

Its also noteworthy that the overall incidents have been on a downward trend for a long time - both before and after the law passed. Looking at the raw data shows that the law itself likely had zero impact on the actual number of incidents in general. There is no real drop after the law passed or change in direction from before the law passed.

homiciderate2.png

Using raw data instead of allowing Washington Post authors do your thinking for you will show much more information.
Australian Institute of Criminology - Homicide statistics
In several states as well as relaxing gun control laws:
So, here we go again.

Clearly I am going to have to remake this argument in a few places so I am going to rework another post I did in one of these other threads. For those of you that heave read this from me, skip it. For the rest of the slow class: gun control advocates have no evidence supporting their demands. I ask the OP, how are the gun advocates on the 'wrong' side when you have no data to support your point where they have tons.

All over the place on this board I am seeing people demanding gun control and making a wide variety of claims about what we need or do not need but one thing is utterly lacking IN EVERY FUCKING THREAD: facts. I can count the number of facts used in the 10+ threads calling for gun reforms on one hand. Get educated, we have passed laws already and we have metrics to gauge their effectiveness.

First, common misinformation techniques must be addressed because you still find all kinds of false claims about higher 'death' rates with lax gin laws that are outright false. The metric we need to be looking at is homicides. Lots of people like to use 'gun' deaths but that is a rather useless term because you are not really measuring anything. That term is not fully defined and it is not as easily tracked and compared with different years as a solid statistic. I also hope that we can agree that what instrument kills the victim is irrelevant. If gun deaths are cut by 25% but knife deaths increase the same number by 50% we have not made progress. Rather, we regressed and are worse off. The real relevant information here is how many people are killed overall and whether or not stricter gun laws results in fewer deaths or crimes. That is what the gun control advocates are claiming.

Another common misinformation tactic is to compare US deaths to those on other countries. comparing international numbers is also utterly meaningless. Why, you ask. Well, that's simple. Scientific data requires that we control for other variables. Comparing US to Brittan is meaningless because there are thousands of variables that make a huge difference. Not only the proliferation of guns that already exists and the current gun laws but also things as basic as culture, diversity, population density, police forces and a host of other things would need to be accounted for. That is utterly impossible. Mexico and Switzerland can be used on the other side of the argument of Brittan and in the end we have learned nothing by doing this. How do we overcome this? Also, simple. You compare the crime rates before and after gun legislation has passed. We can do that here and in Brittan.
Gun Control - Just Facts
dc.png

Here we see a rather large spike directly after gun laws are strengthened and no real increase after they are removed. Washington apparently did not get the memo that homicides were supposed to decrease after they passed their law.

chicago.png

Here we have Chicago where there is no discernable difference before and after the ban. Again, we are not seeing any real positive effects here. As a matter of fact, the rate has worsened as compared to the overall rate in the country even though it has slightly decreased. Form the caption:
Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the Chicago murder rate has averaged 17% lower than it was before the law took effect, while the U.S. murder rate has averaged 25% lower.

Then we can use this same tactic in measuring the effectiveness in Britton. Lets actually look at the real numbers over there as well:

england.png

Oops, even in Brittan, when we account for other factors by using their OWN crime rates, we find that gun laws have NOT reduced the homicides they have suffered. Seems we are developing a pattern here. At least Chicago seen some reduction though it was far less than the national average decrease.

Then, you could always argue, what happens when we relax gun laws. If the gun 'grabbers' were correct, crimes rate would skyrocket (or at least go up). Does that happen:
florida.png

Guess not. The homicide rate in Florida fell rather rapidly and faster than the national average. In Texas we get a similar result:

texas.png

Then there are other statistics that do matter very much like the following:
* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[19]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20]

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

• 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"
• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"
• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[22]

Clearly, claiming that gun control leads to better outcomes is blatantly false. Look at the data, it is conclusive that gun laws most certainly do not have any positive impact on homicides or any other meaningful metric. If you have information that states otherwise then please post it. I have yet to see some solid statistical evidence that points to gun control as being a competent way of reducing deaths. I hope I have not wasted my time getting this information. Try reading it, it will enlighten you.

In conclusion, over 10 separate threads have simply ceased to continue because not a single lefty here has any response to the given facts. I have serious doubts that the OP will be any different but I wait with bated breath for one single person to actually support their demands with something that resembles fact. So far, I have received nothing.
Canada (addressed in the end of my post and governmental data again):
Thank you for the well thought out response. I wish everyone here would do that rather than just take the talking points from the NRA or the far left for that matter. We might actually be able to fix the problem that way. I was just giving you a hard time about the clip. If you were arguing for gun control the pro gunners would say you don't know anything about guns and blah blah blah.
I try and I am always looking for a good debate. Sometimes its hard to find here.

I figured about the clip. I don’t get angry about misstatements like many here seem to do. The use of the word ‘clip’ and ‘magazine’ is separate from the actual point even if it was inaccurate. :)
I don't dissagree about someone having two .45's for example. But why even appose a ban on high capacity magazines then? Wouldn't two .45's with say 16 round magazines be more deadly yet? Since there aren't any examples of the high capacity magazines being used for defense I think at worst it doesn't hurt anything. At best maybe some guy has to reload and drops his clip and gets tackled.

I guess I view every life as being very valuable. If you can save a few lives in a mass shooting then why not try? Will it drastically effect the overall homicide rate? Probably not, I still like to think the mass shooting are very rare, but again every life is valuable.
This is likely the largest are that we are goig to disagree on but I hope that I can show you the light :D

You ask why does it matter then? I hold life just as important as you and think that we should try our damndest to save every person we can BU*T (and this is a BIG but) there is a line that we need to acknowledge. The reality is the safest and BEST government to live under if safety and preservation of life is the metric you are measuring would be fascism or despotism. That is a simple truth.

Preservation of life is important but not at the expense of freedom. Where you want to air on the side of protection I am absolutely against that concept. I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS air on the side of FREEDOM. Whenever you wish to take anything away, be it a big gulp, a large clip or smoking, I err on the side of freedom and fight it with every breath I take unless there are real and tangable benefits that can be proven AND those benefits outweigh the cost in freedom.

For example, the restriction on the right of free speech that makes yelling fire in a theater (or other crowded place) illegal is a sound restriction on freedom. The right to privacy that has been taken by the patriot act CLEARLY has saved lives and protects us but the COST is way too damn high. The patriot act is terrible law. Life is not the ONLY thing to consider here, our freedom is also an important consideration. The cost is low and the payoff high as related to that cost. The payoff with a restriction on magazine size is not only not proven but utter conjecture. It lacks enough reasoning for me as well as I can fabricate a large capacity magazine with ease, aquire one that is already in circulation or use more than one weapon (ie, the 2 guns example that I gave earlier). My beef here with your idea is essentially this: you want to limit freedom because YOU don’t see it as a large loss of said freedom. I also do not have a need for large cap mags, don’t own any and have no plans on purchasing the, but the idea that freedom is taken from people without what I consider due diligence in the reasoning goes against everything that I stand for.

The people that created the patriot act likely used your exact same logic. DO you think it was applied correctly there? Are you comfortable with how far this hole goes? If limiting 10 is allright, why not 5 or 1. That, BTW, is NOT a slippery slope argument. It is the same logic applied universally and it is the logic that can and WILL be used again and again...

Every life is valuable. EVERY FREEDOM IS ALSO VALABLE. Do not discount freedom.
I agree with much of what you say about viewing numbers from other countries. You would have to admit that Russia is often given as a pro gun argument when it is really not valid. So how do you counter that? Well pointing out the low homicide rates of countries with strict gun laws. For the sake of the US I hope that the number of guns is in fact not much of a factor in homicide rate. It could be other countries ban the violent video games, or violent movies, or some of the drugs we use to treat mental health, or do better policing.... But given that all the countries with much better homicide rates do have more strict gun laws, I think that would be a mistake to not look into it further.
And many that have worse homicide rates ALSO have stricter gun laws. As a matter of fact, ALMOST THE WHOLE WORLD has stricter gun laws. I do not aspire to be like the rest of the world.

That said, IF, and only if, the statistical analysis showed that gun laws in those countries was a factor in the lower homicide rates would such a comparison be valid. As the data does NOT support that claim, such data is meaningless. You might as well claim that every country that has a lower homicide rate is does not contain states, or a congress, or have a bill of rights, or does not sell hummus on Tuesday. All those would be just as meaningful. FIRST you need to establish that gun laws have a positive effect, AND THEN you compare the gun laws with our gun laws. That is the ONLY logical order to do it in.
How about we look at Canada?

In 1991, Bill C-17 tightened up restrictions and established controls on numerous firearms. Since about then the violent crime rate went down through 2007. They currently have a homicide rate of 1.6 which is drastically better than ours. Not a perfect comparison of course, but is there something to learn from this? There may very well be. Is it wise to completely write if off? I think that would be a mistake.
How about we look at Canada. First, we need to address your thumbnail. It is not cited. It does not explain itself at all. It does not even use the metric we are going by: homicide rate. It does not even mention the country that it applies to. I REALLY hope you did not pull this from a blog. Essentially, you should not even have posted it :poke:

Really, I KNOW you can do better than that :D

It took some digging but here we go:
Police-reported crime statistics in Canada, 2011
official Canadian source on this with some good data.

All violent crime (except sexual assault against children) have been on a gradual down trend since 1980 and the data in your thumbnail is outright false. There is simply no dicernable way for me to fit the increase in your cite with the actual numbers. It looks as though the gun law had little to no effect in canida as well with the homicide rate starting at 2.5 and decreasing to just under 2.0 after a decade
11692-chart10-eng.jpg

We can see that directly after the law was passed (I did not check the date but I am going off of your 1991 timeframe) a sharp increase in homicides tool place, leveled out the next year and then continues the same downward trend that had been going on the previous years. Note: I am NOT attributing the spike to gun laws – spikes happen and that is a given. That trend line dies not really change at all. As far as I can tell, this is not a good piece of evidence for gun control, the law does not look like it altered the trend at all.

Further, the piece that interests me quite a bit is the fact that attempted murders and actual murders have CONVERGED a lot after the law passed. That went from a full point in difference to just .1 difference. That is, 40% of attempted murders FAILED and now a pithy 2% fail. Possible that might be due to people lacking protection but the criminals not lacking the offensive means to kill? I believe that is likely but I would need to pull up more evidence to support so I will just leave that as an interesting thing to think about for the time being.

All said and done, I don't think Canada is the example you were looking for unless you can present this data in another way.

1,500,,000 to 8,124

Yes, it is.

Multiple studies have been done by multiple sources with differing backgrounds.

IOW, you reject this not because the studies are flawed but because you do not like the results. Then you wonder why your argument is so weak.

1,500,,000 to 8,124

Yes, it is.

Yes...explain away 40 years of actual research......

I just averaged the studies at the bottom......I took only studies that exluded military and police gun use.....notice, theses studies which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--
------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

High crime is bad for many americans and must effectly win with police academy + FBI.

1,500,,000 to 8,124

Yes, it is.

Multiple studies have been done by multiple sources with differing backgrounds.

IOW, you reject this not because the studies are flawed but because you do not like the results. Then you wonder why your argument is so weak.

I don't CARE about defensive gun uses. What is unimpeachable truth is that we kill each other with guns in this country FAR more than in any civilized country in the world. You don't think that's a problem. You think 12,000 homicides per year are a fair price to pay so you can feel cool with your gun.

Personally, for me, if my recreational activity killed 30,000 people per year, I'd give it up and lobby for it to be banned. But that's just me. I'm not a selfish prick like you.

Forum List

Back