Is this the best song ever written?

there is no best song ever written
Rolling Stone magazine said Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" was the best ever, with the Stones' "Cant Get No Satisfaction" in 2nd Place behind it.

Rolling Stone is written by a bunch of pretentious assholes who think they know more than the musicians they write about.

"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

there is no best song ever written
Rolling Stone magazine said Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" was the best ever, with the Stones' "Cant Get No Satisfaction" in 2nd Place behind it.

Rolling Stone is written by a bunch of pretentious assholes who think they know more than the musicians they write about.

"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

Zappa was a genius.

Depends on which day you saw it. The best concert I've ever been too was The Wall played in LA. When Gilmore opened up on the solo for Comfortably Numb it gave me goosebumps. Hell I'm getting them again just remembering it!
Yeah, I was there to. Half way to the Sports Arena, my friend forgot his ticket. So we had to go all the way back to his apartment, then come all the way back up the 110 and got there just as they were coming on building that dumbass wall.

That whole album and all its production was just a little too commercial for me. It's like they were sitting around going, "OMG, we gotta write another Dark Side! What are our fans going to do if we don't write another Dark Side?" Well, guess what, they haven't.

Wish you were here, Animals and Meddle, were much better albums. Okay, if you push me, The Wall is better than Umma Gumma.

Depends on which day you saw it. The best concert I've ever been too was The Wall played in LA. When Gilmore opened up on the solo for Comfortably Numb it gave me goosebumps. Hell I'm getting them again just remembering it!
Yeah, I was there to. Half way to the Sports Arena, my friend forgot his ticket. So we had to go all the way back to his apartment, then come all the way back up the 110 and got there just as they were coming on building that dumbass wall.

That whole album and all its production was just a little too commercial for me. It's like they were sitting around going, "OMG, we gotta write another Dark Side! What are our fans going to do if we don't write another Dark Side?" Well, guess what, they haven't.

Wish you were here, Animals and Meddle, were much better albums. Okay, if you push me, The Wall is better than Umma Gumma.

I think you need to listen to The Wall again. It is the best musical representation of a person losing their mind I have ever heard. As far as your claim that it was a commercial sellout, the facts categorically refute you. They played very few venues, and when Waters was offered a guaranteed million per show to carry on, he refused it. I was a fan from the very beginning Syd Barrett era, having heard them in London waaay back in 67 or 68 (can't remember the exact year) at the UFO club. Meddle was definitely the beginning of their golden era, and that ended with The Wall, but to be honest I can't name a album as "best". They are all exceptional in their own right.

I think you need to listen to The Wall again. It is the best musical representation of a person losing their mind I have ever heard. As far as your claim that it was a commercial sellout, the facts categorically refute you. They played very few venues, and when Waters was offered a guaranteed million per show to carry on, he refused it. I was a fan from the very beginning Syd Barrett era, having heard them in London waaay back in 67 or 68 (can't remember the exact year) at the UFO club. Meddle was definitely the beginning of their golden era, and that ended with The Wall, but to be honest I can't name a album as "best". They are all exceptional in their own right.
The music was commercial, not the way they marketed it. The best way I can describe it is this way...

...I liked that song Enter Sandman. It was the first song I ever liked by Metallica. But hard core Metallica fans say, "that's when the band sold out and went commercial"...

That's how I feel about The Wall. It's like they were trying to hard to write another masterpiece. Dark Side was a masterpiece. It was more than a classic. It was epic. It was on Billboards top 100 for over 23 years.

The Wall was a let down. And that "wall" they were building during the concert was kind of hokie. Then they pop out through holes in the wall and sing. And all through the concert I kept looking at that damn pig! I kept saying to myself, "WTF are they going to do with that pig?" Well, as it turned out, I liked what that pig did!

Not the best song ever but a damned good one!

And edited into one of my favorite sports...

Forum List

Back