Is this the best song ever written?

CV64 AREAL.jpg

As our 3rd Fleet battle group was returning to US waters towards San Diego our CV-64 carrier Constellation could pick up the Los Angeles airwaves on the com and the Admiral would pipe it through the ship and everyone would love it and dance and be very happy that home and wives and lovers and girls and alcohol were waiting for us onshore.

Last edited:
There is no greatest song. There are great songs though, my wife is partial to Only a Lad, Heart of Glass, Killing me Softly, My favs are Won't Get Fooled Again, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, and Try to Believe.

When I was first out of college and serving in uniform defending the West Coast from Mother Russia and from Uncle Mao (during peacetime), we would run BLT and RLT training ops in the middle of the Mojave Desert at a big sand dune called 29 Palms.

The name of the game was "Capture The Oil Well" and that game is played in a desert.

We made a big QRF base on a lake there called Emerson Lake.

Everyone fondly called it Emerson Lake And Palmer though. Their hit songs were popular that year:

Last edited:
Great lyrics:

"There might have been things I've missed,
But don't be unkind,
It don't mean I'm blind.

Perhaps there's a thing or two,
I think of lying in bed,
I shouldn't have said,
But there it is.

You see it's all clear,
You were meant to be here,
From the beginning."

Disco was born shortly after Emerson Lake And Palmer. They sank away into obscurity then.

Geldoff saw the indoctrination happening way back when. It's a good thing US trails the UK in indoctrination by about 20-30 years or so.

Forum List

Back